Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laptop - worth increasing RAM?

On 18/01/2021 10:18, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/01/2021 14:19, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/01/2021 09:50, Robert wrote:
Â*Â*Though always back them up as
they tend to fail catastrophically without notice.

+1 When they fail they just stop working, unlike normal HDD which
often start giving errors which allows you to panic do a repair and
back up before total failure.

That's not been my typical experience. Most of them I have been able
to recover at least most of the data.

It is definitely the luck of the draw. The only one I have ever had fail
so completely bricked itself that nothing could see it or any data at
all. It wasn't so much a failing drive as no longer really there.

Yup I have seen that - but not that often. I was able to recover one of
those with the reflow trick.

I have had some where access to particular files becomes very slow,
and some where you lose access to some files, but most of the disk
seems to work normally.

I have had one that would randomly lock up its SATA bus (and the
machine it was connected to) every few minutes. (I was able to recover
the stuff from that in several attempts with it mounted in a USB
enclosure).

I have had a couple that simply "vanished" and stopped being
identifiable as a drive. One I was able to fix by applying some flux
to the main controller chip, and reflowing it with hot air. Got it
working long enough to recover the data.

That is more like the fault I have seen. One morning it basically isn't
there any more and nothing by way of software can alter that.

Unfortunately I don't have any reflow solder kit.

If you have nothing else to loose[1], then a hot air paint stripper and
some layers of tinfoil for shielding can do it.

[1] if the data are important, then send it for professional data recovery.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Monday, 18 January 2021 at 02:29:44 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

Not everyone has a mouse with a wheel or even a multi touch trackpad,
and many don't really have any awareness of keyboard shortcuts - so
disabling a standard bit of UI that works on almost every other page
they encounter is a bit of an issue IMHO.

(to the point I emailed them to highlight the problem!)

Agreed. It seems bizarre to positively remove
something like scroll bars which probably existed
and worked without any specific action at all.

Not really if you care about how it looks and they obviously do.

I wonder if they are mis-detecting the device being used?

Nope, they dont do scroll bars on anything.

Maybe the site "thinks" it is a phone
rather than a laptop/desktop.

Nope. More likely they want a consistent UI
on laptops, desktops and touch screen systems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 05:19:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling: