Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Socket Converter 2 Gang to 4 Gang

We really need more electrical sockets in our kitchen. We have 5 double
sockets, but it's not enough! (1st World problems, I know.)

I can find some "Socket Converters 2 Gang to 4 Gang", but none from a
brand that I am familiar with. Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I can find some "Socket Converters 2 Gang to 4 Gang", but none from a
brand that I am familiar with.

Does Eterna qualify?

https://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/convert4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2021 17:37, Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

I can find some "Socket Converters 2 Gang to 4 Gang", but none from a
brand that I am familiar with.

Does Eterna qualify?

https://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/convert4

Surprised that it needs a fuse, since I would have thought all the
sockets could have been treated like spurs?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/convert4

Surprised that it needs a fuse, since I would have thought all the
sockets could have been treated like spurs?

Yes, but more than a double socket on a spur does require a fuse, all of
the 3 or 4-gang convertors have them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I can find some "Socket Converters 2 Gang to 4 Gang", but none from a
brand that I am familiar with.

Does Eterna qualify?

https://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/convert4

Surprised that it needs a fuse, since I would have thought all the
sockets could have been treated like spurs?

I think it's because it's designed for retrofit: if the original was a
single 13A socket, the new attachment is also limited to 13A. That way a
householder can do a replacement wthout need to verify current capacity of
the circuit (eg if this was fitted to an existing spur which the rules say you
can't add extra sockets to).

Fitted one of them and I like it - it's not deep unlike others, so it's
barely thicker than a conventional socket. There is a green LED for the
surge protection which might be annoying in some cases (or tape over it).

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

GB wrote:

[...]

Surely, it has to be as thick as the length of the pins of the plugs
that go into it? About 2-3 cms?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I can find some "Socket Converters 2 Gang to 4 Gang", but none from a
brand that I am familiar with.

Does Eterna qualify?

https://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/convert4

Surprised that it needs a fuse, since I would have thought all the
sockets could have been treated like spurs?

I think it's because it's designed for retrofit: if the original was a
single 13A socket, the new attachment is also limited to 13A. That way a
householder can do a replacement wthout need to verify current capacity of
the circuit (eg if this was fitted to an existing spur which the rules say you
can't add extra sockets to).

Of course, I was thinking in context of a ring.

Fitted one of them and I like it - it's not deep unlike others, so it's
barely thicker than a conventional socket. There is a green LED for the
surge protection which might be annoying in some cases (or tape over it).

I have seen 2-gan ones and they look a neat way of adding changing a
single to double without any mess.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2021 17:52, Andy Burns wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/convert4

Surprised that it needs a fuse, since I would have thought all the
sockets could have been treated like spurs?

Yes, but more than a double socket on a spur does require a fuse, all of
the 3 or 4-gang convertors have them.

Yes, but if added to a ring, not a spur, probably unnecessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/convert4

Surprised that it needs a fuse, since I would have thought all the
sockets could have been treated like spurs?

Yes, but more than a double socket on a spur does require a fuse, all
of the 3 or 4-gang convertors have them.

Yes, but if added to a ring, not a spur, probably unnecessary.

If it had two sets of input connectors, and appropriately wired inside, you
might count it as part of the ring,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I can find some "Socket Converters 2 Gang to 4 Gang", but none from a
brand that I am familiar with.

Does Eterna qualify?

https://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/convert4

Surprised that it needs a fuse, since I would have thought all the
sockets could have been treated like spurs?

I think it's because it's designed for retrofit: if the original was a
single 13A socket, the new attachment is also limited to 13A.Â* That way a
householder can do a replacement wthout need to verify current
capacity of
the circuit (eg if this was fitted to an existing spur which the rules
say you
can't add extra sockets to).

Fitted one of them and I like it - it's not deep unlike others, so it's
barely thicker than a conventional socket.Â* There is a green LED for the
surge protection which might be annoying in some cases (or tape over it).

Theo

Surely, it has to be as thick as the length of the pins of the plugs
that go into it? About 2-3 cms?

yes: 25mm - the length of an earth pin plus the thickness of the plastic
case

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I can find some "Socket Converters 2 Gang to 4 Gang", but none from a
brand that I am familiar with.

Does Eterna qualify?

https://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/convert4

I fitted a 1 to 2 by Eterna. Not here and house was sold a year or so
later so I don't know how it lasted. Seemed OK build wise but even to
my catholic taste (or lack of taste) looked clunky.

You know you really need bench trunking...

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-01-11, Andy Burns wrote:

GB wrote:

I can find some "Socket Converters 2 Gang to 4 Gang", but none from a
brand that I am familiar with.

Does Eterna qualify?

https://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/convert4

It's nice of them to show you what the fittings on the back look like
before you order it.