Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remote outside light

We have a need for a 100w+ LED outside light that can be turned on
remotely. The normal plug in remote switches refuse to work without line
of sight.

Ideally I'd like a remote control flood light but can only find low
output multi colour versions.

Alternately an exterior remote control switch or socket would solve the
problem. B&Q sell this one but it has very poor reviews of the remote.

https://www.diy.com/departments/dial.../243630_BQ.prd

or

https://tinyurl.com/yak2v9fy

Any suggestion on where to buy a decent one appreciated.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

We have a need for a 100w+ LED outside light that can be turned on
remotely.

Look at the quinetic stuff

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Quinetic/index.html

The switches can just stick on a wall (no wiring) or you can get a fob
remote, single or multi-channel receivers, single or multi-channel
switches, flexible pairing between switces and receivers, they do an LED
flood with built in receiver (but only go up to 50W)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
We have a need for a 100w+ LED outside light that can be turned on
remotely. The normal plug in remote switches refuse to work without line
of sight.

Ideally I'd like a remote control flood light but can only find low
output multi colour versions.

Alternately an exterior remote control switch or socket would solve the
problem. B&Q sell this one but it has very poor reviews of the remote.

https://www.diy.com/departments/dial.../243630_BQ.prd

or

https://tinyurl.com/yak2v9fy

Any suggestion on where to buy a decent one appreciated.

Mike

Son has installed a RF switched relay off EBay which has a little key fob
in his drive. It works on 433MHz over 25 / 30 yds. Path is partially
obstructed by various things- wood shed trees etc. It was under a tenner.
Chinese of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 11:04, Radio Man wrote:
Muddymike wrote:
[...]

Can you get me a link to it?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message

We have a need for a 100w+ LED outside light

Do you really need one that bright with a led ?

that can be turned on remotely. The normal plug in remote switches refuse
to work without line of sight.

All the philips hue lights can do that.

Ideally I'd like a remote control flood light but can only find low output
multi colour versions.

The hue system has both white only and
what they call white ambience which allows
you to change the color temperature but
dont have multi color.

Alternately an exterior remote control switch or socket would solve the
problem. B&Q sell this one but it has very poor reviews of the remote.

https://www.diy.com/departments/dial.../243630_BQ.prd

or

https://tinyurl.com/yak2v9fy

Any suggestion on where to buy a decent one appreciated.

Philips Hue off amazon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 04:46:42 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

We have a need for a 100w+ LED outside light

Do you really need one that bright with a led ?

That's what he just said, obnoxious, senile Ozzie troll!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a couple of b/q ones and its not so much the remote, its the tendency
for the plug in switches to go deaf over time. Time was I could flash my
garden lights from out in the street inside a cab to help a driver find my
place, it gradually reduced until you needed to be on the front path to
work. Others inside now only work right up against the switch, and no its
not the battery in the remotes either. Its the switch either being made
insensitive by crud on the mains or it just goes deaf. I have one which you
have to bang to get the relay to turn off when you have actuated it too. I
don't think they were built to last.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
o.uk...
Muddymike wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike brought next idea :
We have a need for a 100w+ LED outside light that can be turned on remotely.
The normal plug in remote switches refuse to work without line of sight.

Ideally I'd like a remote control flood light but can only find low output
multi colour versions.

Alternately an exterior remote control switch or socket would solve the
problem. B&Q sell this one but it has very poor reviews of the remote.

https://www.diy.com/departments/dial.../243630_BQ.prd

or

https://tinyurl.com/yak2v9fy

Any suggestion on where to buy a decent one appreciated.

Mike

An Alexa controllable Smart Socket, if you have wifi?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) explained on 28/12/2020 :
I have a couple of b/q ones and its not so much the remote, its the tendency
for the plug in switches to go deaf over time. Time was I could flash my
garden lights from out in the street inside a cab to help a driver find my
place, it gradually reduced until you needed to be on the front path to work.
Others inside now only work right up against the switch, and no its not the
battery in the remotes either. Its the switch either being made insensitive
by crud on the mains or it just goes deaf. I have one which you have to bang
to get the relay to turn off when you have actuated it too. I don't think
they were built to last.
Brian

I have not had any such problems with mine. I have had two
multi-control kits, 3 or 4 RF switches to each kit. The first had just
one button, which did both on and off, so unless you could see what you
were switching...

The second was much better, separate on/off buttons, plus master on/off
and I still use part of this kit, though I have replaced most of what
it did with Alexa Smart Sockets, to allow automatic control.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 17:46, Fred wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message

We have a need for a 100w+ LED outside light

Do you really need one that bright with a led ?

Yes

that can be turned on remotely. The normal plug in remote switches
refuse to work without line of sight.

All the philips hue lights can do that.

Ideally I'd like a remote control flood light but can only find low
output multi colour versions.

The hue system has both white only and
what they call white ambience which allows
you to change the color temperature but
dont have multi color.

Alternately an exterior remote control switch or socket would solve
the problem. B&Q sell this one but it has very poor reviews of the
remote.

https://www.diy.com/departments/dial.../243630_BQ.prd

or

https://tinyurl.com/yak2v9fy

Any suggestion on where to buy a decent one appreciated.

Philips Hue off amazon.

Is that a flood light, looks like just a bulb.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/12/2020 17:46, Fred wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message

We have a need for a 100w+ LED outside light

Do you really need one that bright with a led ?

Yes.

Do you mean actual power consumed or incandescent equivalent ?

that can be turned on remotely. The normal plug in remote switches
refuse to work without line of sight.

All the philips hue lights can do that.

Ideally I'd like a remote control flood light but can only find low
output multi colour versions.

The hue system has both white only and
what they call white ambience which allows
you to change the color temperature but
dont have multi color.

Alternately an exterior remote control switch or socket would solve the
problem. B&Q sell this one but it has very poor reviews of the remote.

https://www.diy.com/departments/dial.../243630_BQ.prd

or

https://tinyurl.com/yak2v9fy

Any suggestion on where to buy a decent one appreciated.

Philips Hue off amazon.

Is that a flood light, looks like just a bulb.

They do have a floodlight. Not cheap tho.
https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/...ight/1743530P7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 02:11:46 +1100, , better known as cantankerous trolling
senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 15:11, Fred wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/12/2020 17:46, Fred wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message

We have a need for a 100w+ LED outside light

Do you really need one that bright with a led ?

Yes.

Do you mean actual power consumed or incandescent equivalent ?

100w rating, so power consumption.
They do have a floodlight. Not cheap tho.
https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/...ight/1743530P7

Bloody expensive and still not 100w.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/12/2020 15:11, Fred wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/12/2020 17:46, Fred wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message

We have a need for a 100w+ LED outside light

Do you really need one that bright with a led ?

Yes.

Do you mean actual power consumed or incandescent equivalent ?

100w rating, so power consumption.

They do have a floodlight. Not cheap tho.
https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/...ight/1743530P7

Bloody expensive and still not 100w.

I dont believe that you actually need 100W power
consumption with a well designed led flood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
On 29/12/2020 15:11, Fred wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/12/2020 17:46, Fred wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message

We have a need for a 100w+ LED outside light

Do you really need one that bright with a led ?

Yes.

Do you mean actual power consumed or incandescent equivalent ?

100w rating, so power consumption.
They do have a floodlight. Not cheap tho.
https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/...ight/1743530P7

Bloody expensive and still not 100w.

Mike

Here is an example of what 100W of electrical input
to a LED device can achieve.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/120w-Brite-.../dp/B00WUCV7D0

120w Brite Source LED Corn Light [claims 135 lumens per watt, unlikely]
6000k Daylight (that's a bluish white color of light, not 2700K warm)
17,000 Lumen (800 lumens is a 60W light bulb)
Replaces 450w Metal Halide [and then some]

You cannot put that item inside a globe.
It's powerful enough, it almost needs a bit
of fan cooling from the back. Fixturing that would
be a challenge. You don't want to fry it and kill it
in short order.

Being Chinese, I'm sure it dissipates 120W of electricity,
but they could be forgiven if the lumens were about
half of that.

Just for the record, LEDs work best if they "bounce off a ceiling".
That gives the nicest diffuse light. There are many light sources
we place outside which are "eye burners" and you have to be careful
where you position them, how you shape the light cone and so on.

One of the reasons the corn cob lights work well, is the
vast array of separate LEDs used. This approach avoids
phosphor smothering that happens when you try to make
a point source out of a really big LED. Even the 1" disc
arrays tend to smother. The corn cob should be pretty efficient
(even compensating for Chinese lumin fabrication).

*******

I have a couple conventional screw-in LED flood:

Philips 120W equivalent 1200 lumens (which is actually 90W equivalent)
14W input power

If we buy 7 of those, we get 8400 lumens. And, because being floods,
they have reflector and Fresnel lens, they can be pointed at a target.
Those things are miserable, and the last time I used them, I bounced them
off the carport ceiling to tame the light. That's while putting the
winter tires on the car (floor jack, jack stands). Those aren't eye-safe
if you get hit in the face by one. You'll be seeing the retinal burn
the next day.

There are also an unending supply of this form factor. This particular
one uses an array LED source on a substrate. These run off about 40VDC
that the SMPS in the light has to power.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/3ff...5b792e3.jp eg

They also make that form factor with individual LEDs. This one seems
to draw 150W, but they don't state the lumens as a double-check. Just
another fake Walmart advert.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/057...08231df82.jpeg

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

Brite Source LED Corn Light [claims 135 lumens per watt, unlikely]

Apparently you *can* buy 200 lumen/watt lamps,
but only if you live in Dubai ...

https://youtu.be/klaJqofCsu4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2021 06:57, Andy Burns wrote:
Paul wrote:

Brite Source LED Corn Light [claims 135 lumens per watt, unlikely]

Apparently you *can* buy 200 lumen/watt lamps,
but only if you live in Dubai ...

https://youtu.be/klaJqofCsu4

Very Interesting. Although it pointedly mentions Philips and criticises
them, all the other domestic LED lamp manufacturers must know about
underrunning lamps to increase their life too.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

Brite Source LED Corn Light [claims 135 lumens per watt, unlikely]

Apparently you *can* buy 200 lumen/watt lamps,
but only if you live in Dubai ...

https://youtu.be/klaJqofCsu4

Very Interesting. Although it pointedly mentions Philips and criticises
them, all the other domestic LED lamp manufacturers must know about
underrunning lamps to increase their life too.

--

Jeff

Mike I got to ask what are you trying illuminate? I have a 30W LED flood light that well illuminates the target area of approx 25m2 and beyond. If need be I could work by it except being a single point of light you would have shadows to contend with. 100W you are talking about tennis courts and car parks.

Here is one example

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/prod...ht-4000k-black

Have you considered using a PIR so it only illuminates when needed it will save on costs. As for remote operation I have used some plug in timers that work on WiFi for the external Xmas lights these have worked through two walls over a distance of 10m in the garage. The timer can be overridden using either the app or Alexa.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Paul wrote:

Brite Source LED Corn Light [claims 135 lumens per watt, unlikely]

Apparently you *can* buy 200 lumen/watt lamps,
but only if you live in Dubai ...

https://youtu.be/klaJqofCsu4

Page 2, efficacy plot (green line).

Yes, low current gives enhanced output, but notice that
it's only at the bottom of the operating area. You need
a lot of LEDs to do it that way.

One bulb contains a lot of LEDs.

You need multiple bulbs for a lighting job.

$$$ = Perfect for Dubai.

The only way such a thing would gain traction here, is
if there was a government mandate for a certain level
of bulb efficiency.

If you look at what Dubai uses for police cars,
you get some idea of how they think there.

I suspect one of the assumptions in the circuit design
there, is that the voltage on mains "stays within specs".
This would not help me, because my voltage is pretty
well always out of spec. Right now, I checked my
Kill-O-Watt meter and the voltage is right on the edge
of the max allowed. This would not be the ideal operating
point for a capacitive dropper design. The nice thing
about SMPS powered bulbs, is they can have a much wider
voltage range.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

[...]

STWNFI wants a floodlight she can switch on from the kitchen to
illuminate as much of our back garden as possible to keep an eye on our
elderly dog. However we have 3/4 acre back garden!

The best place to mount one is on the electricity pole at the corner of
the detached garage block hence I need one that can be switched on
remotely from the kitchen. We already have four PIR lights illuminating
the drive, yard and workshop entry.

I have now mounted a 100w LED flood on the pole temporarily fed from a
remote control switch that plugs into a 13amp socket hanging on an
extension lead inside the garage door window.

This has allowed me to work out that the remote will work through the
garage door window from the kitchen window so next stage is to install a
13a spur on the inside garage wall with line of sight through the garage
door window and kitchen window.

Now she has use of this she has asked if another can be mounted on the
workshop to cover further areas of the back garden!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

[...]

Putting a (flashing?) LED collar on the dog might make a bit more sense ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

[...]

That would show where she is but not what she is doing!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

[...]

Put a GoPro (or similar) on the dog's back/belly/head/neck/wherever and
stream to your PC.