Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas boiler not lighting - Gas valve?

Our gas boiler has decided of course that this is the week to breakdown

It's an Ideal Mexico Super CF4120, this is a floor standing open flued boiler,
it's a pretty basic boiler with nothing in the way of fancy electronics. The
only control is water temp thermostat.

When required to fire up, it has a pilot ignited by a spark , which then
lights the mian burner.

So it stopped lighting up. Though I could hear the spark clicking.

As I've done a couple of times before when this happened removed the burner
unit and gas the pilot light burner and igniter a good clean and blow out
with a compressed air can. Unfortunately this did not sort the problem :-(

The gas valve is one of these

https://www.tradeboilerparts.co.uk/I...Part-no-170664.

I've tested the solenoid resistance on the left with my cheapo multimeter at it
is showing open circuit , so has presumably failed. Are there any other checks
I should do?.

Or is that pretty conclusive? I don't know much about the gas valves, does the
solenoid control the flow of gas to the pilot as well?

Thanks (and glad to see some old faces still here :-))

--
Chris French