Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NiMh battery charging.

I was going through my collection of rechargeable batteries, sorting
the wheat from the chaff and because many seemed to be pretty low on
capacity / dead (or waiting for attempted resurrection), I ordered
some Amazon Basics 'Ready to use' NiMh AA's (2000mAh) and AAA's
(800mAh).

Now, on the AAA's it states the 'Standard charge is 80mA for 16 hours'
and I presume by that they mean '... to get the best life / cycles out
of the cell'.

Now, the lowest current charger I have here is 200mA (apart from my
fully configurable one that goes down to 10mA but is only single cell
(for Ni-Mh per cell monitoring)) and I think the charger they often
sell with the cells is 375mA for AAA?

Now, we know one of the biggest killer of most rechargeable battery
chemistry's is heat so I'm very conscious of that with any charging
solution.

I 'get' that some people need their batteries re-charged asap (I knew
a wedding photographer who really cained his and treated his
high-capacity rechargeables as consumables) but for most of us,
wouldn't 'overnight' be ok [1]?

Does anyone know of a multi-cell / intelligent NiMh ( NiMH only would
be ok) charger that would take a minimum of 1 to 4 cells (not in pairs
as some torches and the like have 3 cells) and with either 100mA
charge option for AAA's or user setable down that low please?

The default minimum charge rate of 200mA is fine for the 2000mAh AA's
and my Youshiko YC4000 does that very well. [2]

Cheers, T i m

[1] No battery should be left 'Unattended' whilst on charge but if
charging at a low rate (C/10 or greater etc) the risk should be pretty
low.

[2] It has a refresh option that repeatedly charges and discharges the
cell(s) until it hits the peak capacity and then reports it, It take
any mix of 4 x AA/AAA, NiCd/ NiMh, charges at 200 (default), 500, 700,
or 1000mA (and discharges at 50% of each of those values) and (each
slot) any one of 4 programs (Charge, Discharge, Refresh or Test).