DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Convert two way switching to one way (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/681871-convert-two-way-switching-one-way.html)

GB November 8th 20 11:31 AM

Convert two way switching to one way

Our kitchen lights are switched from both the main door and the back
door. In practice, we don't need the back door switch.

What is the easiest way to convert this so it's just switched from the
main door?

I thought maybe just join the correct pair of wires behind the switch
plate? What do you do with the spare one? Just jam it into a wago
connector so it's insulated?

It's been wired in the normal way according to the wiki.

Whilst on the subject, is Adam okay? I haven't seen him posting recently.

Nightjar November 8th 20 12:31 PM

On 08/11/2020 11:31, GB wrote:
Our kitchen lights are switched from both the main door and the back
door. In practice, we don't need the back door switch.

What is the easiest way to convert this so it's just switched from the
main door?...

Stop using the other one. :-)

--
Colin Bignell

Andy Burns[_13_] November 8th 20 01:11 PM

GB wrote:

I thought maybe just join the correct pair of wires behind the switch
plate? What do you do with the spare one? Just jam it into a wago
connector so it's insulated?

yes, join the wires from COM and L1 in one wago, and isolate the
remaining wire from L2 in another wago, if that leaves the remaining
switch "upside down" swap L1 and L2

It's been wired in the normal way according to the wiki.

Whilst on the subject, is Adam okay? I haven't seen him posting recently.

Yes, I've just seem him on-site ...

GB November 8th 20 02:31 PM

On 08/11/2020 13:11, Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

I thought maybe just join the correct pair of wires behind the switch
plate? What do you do with the spare one? Just jam it into a wago
connector so it's insulated?

yes, join the wires from COM and L1 in one wago, and isolate the
remaining wire from L2 in another wago, if that leaves the remaining
switch "upside down" swap L1 and L2

Thanks.

Colin is of course quite right, and I stuck a bit of tape on to act as a
reminder. I'm hoping to tidy that up.

ARW November 8th 20 03:46 PM

On 08/11/2020 11:31, GB wrote:
Our kitchen lights are switched from both the main door and the back
door. In practice, we don't need the back door switch.

What is the easiest way to convert this so it's just switched from the
main door?

I thought maybe just join the correct pair of wires behind the switch
plate? What do you do with the spare one? Just jam it into a wago
connector so it's insulated?

It's been wired in the normal way according to the wiki.

Whilst on the subject, is Adam okay? I haven't seen him posting recently.

I am OK but busy/knackered.

ATM I usually leave the house at 5.30am and travel to Leicester (which
is why Andy saw me on site today as I invited him to look at the
weirdest house I have rewired) and then get back home around 6pm. Left
early today.

--
Adam

GB November 8th 20 04:56 PM

On 08/11/2020 15:46, ARW wrote:
On 08/11/2020 11:31, GB wrote:
Our kitchen lights are switched from both the main door and the back
door. In practice, we don't need the back door switch.

What is the easiest way to convert this so it's just switched from the
main door?

I thought maybe just join the correct pair of wires behind the switch
plate? What do you do with the spare one? Just jam it into a wago
connector so it's insulated?

It's been wired in the normal way according to the wiki.

Whilst on the subject, is Adam okay? I haven't seen him posting recently.

I am OK but busy/knackered.

ATM I usually leave the house at 5.30am and travel to Leicester (which
is why Andy saw me on site today as I invited him to look at the
weirdest house I have rewired) and then get back home around 6pm. Left
early today.

You're doing that 7 days a week? That's quite a commute.

marika November 8th 20 06:38 PM

On Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 10:56:39 AM UTC-6, GB wrote:
On 08/11/2020 15:46, ARW wrote:
On 08/11/2020 11:31, GB wrote:
Our kitchen lights are switched from both the main door and the back
door. In practice, we don't need the back door switch.

What is the easiest way to convert this so it's just switched from the
main door?

I thought maybe just join the correct pair of wires behind the switch
plate? What do you do with the spare one? Just jam it into a wago
connector so it's insulated?

It's been wired in the normal way according to the wiki.

Whilst on the subject, is Adam okay? I haven't seen him posting recently.

I am OK but busy/knackered.

ATM I usually leave the house at 5.30am and travel to Leicester (which
is why Andy saw me on site today as I invited him to look at the
weirdest house I have rewired) and then get back home around 6pm. Left
early today.

You're doing that 7 days a week? That's quite a commute.

"oh, the humanity"

mk5000

The heart of love bereaved with hollow eyes and a whisper waiting for words to fill the lies
A heart's rejection sprang quick and laid claim to me
Where's reason when love's swayed and the broken mirror brings--arsis

ARW November 9th 20 06:12 PM

On 08/11/2020 16:56, GB wrote:

ATM I usually leave the house at 5.30am and travel to Leicester (which
is why Andy saw me on site today as I invited him to look at the
weirdest house I have rewired) and then get back home around 6pm. Left
early today.

You're doing that 7 days a week?Â* That's quite a commute.

Not 7 days a week.....

I was in Lincoln on Saturday (with a couple of lights to swap in
Doncaster on the way home). Less mileage but it's a longer drive time-wise.

--
Adam