DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Limescale tablets in washing machines (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/681770-re-limescale-tablets-washing-machines.html)

pinnerite November 5th 20 05:50 PM

Limescale tablets in washing machines

On Sun, 01 Nov 2020 09:35:42 -0800, Mushy Devil wrote:

On Friday, 10 February 2017 at 01:50:12 UTC+2, therustyone wrote:

You'll spend far more on calgon than it would cost to fix a fault
caused by limescale. A descale with a little hot acid every 2 months
is more practical. Citric works.

What if you have a 3 year manufacturer's guarantee and they tell you to
use Calgon. Will it be invalidated if you don't, or use a cheaper
alternative, like Sainsbury's.

3 years of using Calgon in every wash is more expensive than buying a
new washing machine

A box of 75 cosrs £13.69 which works out at £0.1825 per tablet.
Using one per day 7 days per week for three years comes out at under £200.
Our Miele cost around £600 ten years ago and still as good as new.

--
Mint 20.0, kernel 5.4.0-45-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.

alan_m November 6th 20 08:56 AM

On 05/11/2020 17:50, pinnerite wrote:

A box of 75 cosrs £13.69 which works out at £0.1825 per tablet.
Using one per day 7 days per week for three years comes out at under £200.
Our Miele cost around £600 ten years ago and still as good as new.

My washing machine cost less than £200 nine years ago and is still going
strong without using Calgon.

Used mainly on a cold wash it occasionally gets a dose of washing soda
on the hottest wash cycle.

Bob Eager[_7_] November 6th 20 09:14 AM

On Fri, 06 Nov 2020 08:56:25 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 05/11/2020 17:50, pinnerite wrote:

A box of 75 cosrs £13.69 which works out at £0.1825 per tablet.
Using one per day 7 days per week for three years comes out at under
£200.
Our Miele cost around £600 ten years ago and still as good as new.

My washing machine cost less than £200 nine years ago and is still going
strong without using Calgon.

Used mainly on a cold wash it occasionally gets a dose of washing soda
on the hottest wash cycle.

Our old Hotpoint lasted fifteen years; I fitted door seal, bearings,
heater and motor brushes. Eventually the motor blew up.

The heater didn't actually fail, but the integral seal hardened and
started to leak. We are in a hard water area. There was practically NO
scale on it, and we never used Calgon.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 6th 20 09:50 AM

On 06/11/2020 08:56, alan_m wrote:
On 05/11/2020 17:50, pinnerite wrote:

A box of 75 cosrs £13.69 which works out at £0.1825 per tablet.
Using one per day 7 days per week for three years comes out at under
£200.
Our Miele cost around £600 ten years ago and still as good as new.

My washing machine cost less than £200 nine years ago and is still going
strong without using Calgon.

Used mainly on a cold wash it occasionally gets a dose of washing soda
on the hottest wash cycle.

On the packet of my lays purchase of washing powder tablets it says 'use
two in hard water areas'

I assume it has a Calgon equivalent built in...

Chris Green November 6th 20 01:38 PM

pinnerite wrote:
On Sun, 01 Nov 2020 09:35:42 -0800, Mushy Devil wrote:

On Friday, 10 February 2017 at 01:50:12 UTC+2, therustyone wrote:

You'll spend far more on calgon than it would cost to fix a fault
caused by limescale. A descale with a little hot acid every 2 months
is more practical. Citric works.

What if you have a 3 year manufacturer's guarantee and they tell you to
use Calgon. Will it be invalidated if you don't, or use a cheaper
alternative, like Sainsbury's.

3 years of using Calgon in every wash is more expensive than buying a
new washing machine

A box of 75 cosrs £13.69 which works out at £0.1825 per tablet.
Using one per day 7 days per week for three years comes out at under £200.
Our Miele cost around £600 ten years ago and still as good as new.

But wait a minute, you've been using the tablets for 10 years
presumably, cost well over £600.

--
Chris Green
·

Pancho November 6th 20 01:54 PM

Limescale tablets in washing machines

On 06/11/2020 08:56, alan_m wrote:
On 05/11/2020 17:50, pinnerite wrote:

A box of 75 cosrs £13.69 which works out at £0.1825 per tablet.
Using one per day 7 days per week for three years comes out at under
£200.
Our Miele cost around £600 ten years ago and still as good as new.

My washing machine cost less than £200 nine years ago and is still
going strong without using Calgon.

Used mainly on a cold wash it occasionally gets a dose of washing soda
on the hottest wash cycle.

On the packet of my lays purchase of washing powder tablets it says 'use
two in hard water areas'

I assume it has a Calgon equivalent built in...

Does your "lay" like being referred to in such terms?

Pancho November 6th 20 01:56 PM

On 06/11/2020 13:54, Pancho wrote:
On 06/11/2020 08:56, alan_m wrote:
On 05/11/2020 17:50, pinnerite wrote:

A box of 75 cosrs £13.69 which works out at £0.1825 per tablet.
Using one per day 7 days per week for three years comes out at under
£200.
Our Miele cost around £600 ten years ago and still as good as new.

My washing machine cost less than £200 nine years ago and is still
going strong without using Calgon.

Used mainly on a cold wash it occasionally gets a dose of washing
soda on the hottest wash cycle.

On the packet of my lays purchase of washing powder tablets it says
'use two in hard water areas'

I assume it has a Calgon equivalent built in...

Does your "lay" like being referred to in such terms?

And I think you need two because hard water decreases the detergent's
cleaning efficiency, so you need more, rather than two protect the machine.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 6th 20 02:00 PM

Limescale tablets in washing machines

On 06/11/2020 13:54, Pancho wrote:
On 06/11/2020 08:56, alan_m wrote:
On 05/11/2020 17:50, pinnerite wrote:

A box of 75 cosrs £13.69 which works out at £0.1825 per tablet.
Using one per day 7 days per week for three years comes out at under
£200.
Our Miele cost around £600 ten years ago and still as good as new.

My washing machine cost less than £200 nine years ago and is still
going strong without using Calgon.

Used mainly on a cold wash it occasionally gets a dose of washing
soda on the hottest wash cycle.

On the packet of my lays purchase of washing powder tablets it says
'use two in hard water areas'

I assume it has a Calgon equivalent built in...

Does your "lay" like being referred to in such terms?

Normally it would be "latest". typo

"Saki"