DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Boiler installation - flushing (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/681455-boiler-installation-flushing.html)

GB October 28th 20 02:15 PM

Boiler installation - flushing

I have a well-known firm installing a WB boiler today, to replace our
old boiler.

They say that their normal way of doing things is to connect up the new
boiler, add chemicals, and flush the system for an hour. Then drain and
refill.

This seems all wrong to me, and indeed the WB installation manual says:
"A new appliance must only be used to assist the cleaning of a newly
installed system."

Surely, they should have flushed the system with the old boiler, or do a
power flush?

Any suggestions about what to do?

[email protected] October 29th 20 06:11 PM

On Wednesday, 28 October 2020 14:15:28 UTC, GB wrote:

I have a well-known firm installing a WB boiler today, to replace our
old boiler.

They say that their normal way of doing things is to connect up the new
boiler, add chemicals, and flush the system for an hour. Then drain and
refill.

This seems all wrong to me, and indeed the WB installation manual says:
"A new appliance must only be used to assist the cleaning of a newly
installed system."

Surely, they should have flushed the system with the old boiler, or do a
power flush?

I believe so, but I'm no plumber.

Any suggestions about what to do?

If the old one's still in circuit, there is no mystery.

If not, boiler pipes can be short circuited for pumping.

NT

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] October 29th 20 10:20 PM

Boiler installation - flushing

brought next idea :
If the old one's still in circuit, there is no mystery.

If not, boiler pipes can be short circuited for pumping.

I agree, really stupid to flush after a new install - that will flush
into the new boiler.

GB October 29th 20 11:04 PM

Boiler installation - flushing

On 29/10/2020 22:20, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
brought next idea :
If the old one's still in circuit, there is no mystery.

If not, boiler pipes can be short circuited for pumping.

I agree, really stupid to flush after a new install - that will flush
into the new boiler.

This is a well-known firm, that says they are part-owned by WB, and they
will forward confirmation from WB that the procedure they have used is
okay. So far, they haven't.

Andrew[_22_] October 30th 20 04:52 PM

On 29/10/2020 23:04, GB wrote:
On 29/10/2020 22:20, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
brought next idea :
If the old one's still in circuit, there is no mystery.

If not, boiler pipes can be short circuited for pumping.

I agree, really stupid to flush after a new install - that will flush
into the new boiler.

This is a well-known firm, that says they are part-owned by WB, and they
will forward confirmation from WB that the procedure they have used is
okay. So far, they haven't.

Are they fitting a magnetic filter to keep crud out of the new
boiler ?. They should and might be relying on this to collect the
rust particles.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] October 30th 20 05:44 PM

Boiler installation - flushing

Andrew pretended :
Are they fitting a magnetic filter to keep crud out of the new
boiler ?. They should and might be relying on this to collect the
rust particles.

Noiler manufacturers seem to insist on one, for the warranty. They do
only collect the rust particles - no use at all for collecting other
debris, which can still obstruct a modern boilers water passages. So
basically - if it needs flushing, it needs to be flushed before a new
boiler is fitted.

John Rumm October 31st 20 02:54 PM

Boiler installation - flushing

On 30/10/2020 17:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew pretended :
Are they fitting a magnetic filter to keep crud out of the new
boiler ?. They should and might be relying on this to collect the
rust particles.

Noiler manufacturers seem to insist on one, for the warranty. They do
only collect the rust particles - no use at all for collecting other
debris,

Some have a cyclonic filtration action as well for non magnetic stuff -
however their ability to "hang onto" the non magnetic crud is presumably
more limited.

which can still obstruct a modern boilers water passages. So
basically - if it needs flushing, it needs to be flushed before a new
boiler is fitted.

+1 or at least, it can be fitted, but isolated at its service valves.

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] October 31st 20 11:22 PM

Boiler installation - flushing

On Friday, 30 October 2020 17:44:41 UTC, wrote:
Andrew pretended :

Are they fitting a magnetic filter to keep crud out of the new
boiler ?. They should and might be relying on this to collect the
rust particles.

Noiler manufacturers seem to insist on one, for the warranty. They do
only collect the rust particles - no use at all for collecting other
debris, which can still obstruct a modern boilers water passages. So
basically - if it needs flushing, it needs to be flushed before a new
boiler is fitted.

There are 3 filter modes used by these things in varying combinations
1. magnet
2. filter mesh
3. cyclone

I'd hate to rely on any of them to filter everything out.

NT

[email protected] November 1st 20 09:18 AM

On Saturday, 31 October 2020 14:54:24 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
+1 or at least, it can be fitted, but isolated at its service valves.

Do good plumbers fit service valves to all the pipes at the boiler?

(Mine didn't.)

Owain

Dave Plowman (News) November 1st 20 11:10 AM

Boiler installation - flushing

In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 31 October 2020 14:54:24 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
+1 or at least, it can be fitted, but isolated at its service valves.

Do good plumbers fit service valves to all the pipes at the boiler?

(Mine didn't.)

You can't do that. Close them all and there would be nowhere for water to
expand to.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Roger Hayter[_2_] November 1st 20 12:35 PM

Boiler installation - flushing

On 1 Nov 2020 at 11:10:48 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 31 October 2020 14:54:24 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
+1 or at least, it can be fitted, but isolated at its service valves.

Do good plumbers fit service valves to all the pipes at the boiler?

(Mine didn't.)

You can't do that. Close them all and there would be nowhere for water to
expand to.

Except perhaps the expansion(sic) tank.

--
Roger Hayter

John Rumm November 1st 20 04:35 PM

On 01/11/2020 09:18, wrote:
On Saturday, 31 October 2020 14:54:24 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
+1 or at least, it can be fitted, but isolated at its service valves.

Do good plumbers fit service valves to all the pipes at the boiler?

Modern boilers have them built into the inlets.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

Dave Plowman (News) November 1st 20 05:11 PM

John Rumm wrote:
On 01/11/2020 09:18, wrote:
On Saturday, 31 October 2020 14:54:24 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
+1 or at least, it can be fitted, but isolated at its service valves.

Do good plumbers fit service valves to all the pipes at the boiler?

Modern boilers have them built into the inlets.

Is there still a requirement to have two, if connected to potable water?

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?