Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning grout off tiles.

Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof adhesive/grout,
and got called away before finishing off. The actual grouting is fine -
but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock hard. Tiles are ceramic
and matt finish. Any tips on the easiest way to remove the residue?

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof
adhesive/grout, and got called away before finishing off. The actual
grouting is fine - but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock
hard. Tiles are ceramic and matt finish. Any tips on the easiest way to
remove the residue?

No-one? I can scrape it off with a chisel without damage to the tile. Was
hoping someone knew a quicker way.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock
hard.

No-one?

cover in kitchen roll and keep misting it with a plant sprayer for a day
or two?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 17:02:30 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock hard.

Residue as in a thin film or ridges of set grout? For the former just
use the shower and wipe down the tiles after every use it'll
eventually go. Even the ridges become slighly less attached after "a
while".

cover in kitchen roll and keep misting it with a plant sprayer for a day
or two?

Naw, not with a cement based waterproof grout. Spray with a mild
acid, citric or calgon or kettle descaler or WHY. Might be able to
make a paste with citric spread on scrape off hopefully with the
grout or just work it in/around with an old tooth brush. Any scraper
needs to soft and not metalic.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof adhesive/grout,
and got called away before finishing off. The actual grouting is fine -
but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock hard. Tiles are ceramic
and matt finish. Any tips on the easiest way to remove the residue?

Remove and replace the tiles.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 17:02:30 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock hard.

Residue as in a thin film or ridges of set grout? For the former just
use the shower and wipe down the tiles after every use it'll
eventually go. Even the ridges become slighly less attached after "a
while".

cover in kitchen roll and keep misting it with a plant sprayer for a day
or two?

Naw, not with a cement based waterproof grout. Spray with a mild
acid, citric or calgon or kettle descaler or WHY. Might be able to
make a paste with citric spread on scrape off hopefully with the
grout or just work it in/around with an old tooth brush. Any scraper
needs to soft and not metalic.

I don't think it's a mortar based adhesive. Not the sort you'd use for
tiling outdoors. More water resistant than waterproof. Fine for an
occasional use shower room walls.

--
*Indian Driver - Smoke signals only*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof
adhesive/grout, and got called away before finishing off. The actual
grouting is fine - but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock
hard. Tiles are ceramic and matt finish. Any tips on the easiest way to
remove the residue?

No-one? I can scrape it off with a chisel without damage to the tile. Was
hoping someone knew a quicker way.

There is stuff called HG cement grout film remover 1L - "the grout remover
for all types of tiles and flagstones"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HG-cement-g...3910865&sr=8-7

At £8.59 a litre.

There's probably a PDF somewhere giving its precise chemical composition
and whether it contains anything over and above the standard cheaper
recommendations which are of acid of various types/strengths

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 18:26:50 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I don't think it's a mortar based adhesive. Not the sort you'd use for
tiling outdoors. More water resistant than waterproof. Fine for an
occasional use shower room walls.

The packaging will tell you. Or just keep it wet for an hour or two
ordinary grout/adhesive will soften, waterproof won't even notice.

Thin film may come off with a non-scratch scourer.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2020 18:58, michael adams wrote:

There's probably a PDF somewhere giving its precise chemical composition
and whether it contains anything over and above the standard cheaper
recommendations which are of acid of various types/strengths

https://hg.eu/media/esnlovxn/0510100210006.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 18:26:50 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I don't think it's a mortar based adhesive. Not the sort you'd use for
tiling outdoors. More water resistant than waterproof. Fine for an
occasional use shower room walls.

The packaging will tell you. Or just keep it wet for an hour or two
ordinary grout/adhesive will soften, waterproof won't even notice.

Thin film may come off with a non-scratch scourer.

Likely so.

Due to my hands getting a bit arthritic I was hoping their might be
something that fitted a power tool.

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof
adhesive/grout, and got called away before finishing off. The actual
grouting is fine - but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock
hard. Tiles are ceramic and matt finish. Any tips on the easiest way to
remove the residue?

No-one? I can scrape it off with a chisel without damage to the tile. Was
hoping someone knew a quicker way.

I find a box cutter about the right combination of flexible and blade
width for scraping off bits of set grout. The waterproof stuff once
fully cured is only going to come off by physical removal.

If you have a steady hand a stanley knife with the blade in paper
scraping configuration will give you an even wider scraper edge.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 13:57:16 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Thin film may come off with a non-scratch scourer.

Likely so.

Due to my hands getting a bit arthritic I was hoping their might be
something that fitted a power tool.

Polishing mop and polisher?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 28/10/2020 18:58, michael adams wrote:

There's probably a PDF somewhere giving its precise chemical composition
and whether it contains anything over and above the standard cheaper
recommendations which are of acid of various types/strengths

https://hg.eu/media/esnlovxn/0510100210006.pdf

Well spotted. So its main constituents are

Phosphoric acid - which is found in soft drinks and gives them their
tangy flavour

Oxalic acid which is found in rhubarb leaves and the green bits of
potatoes

ethoxylated isofridecanol which is found in everything from washing
and cleaning products, to air care products, greases polishes and waxes.

So that rather than fork out £8.59 for a litre of HG cement grout film
remover

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HG-cement-g...3910865&sr=8-7

just boil up some rhubarb leaves in a saucepan of supermarket
lemonade and sling in a bit of washing powder and floor polish.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2020 23:23, alan_m wrote:
On 28/10/2020 18:58, michael adams wrote:

There's probably a PDF somewhere giving its precise chemical composition
and whether it contains anything over and above the standard cheaper
recommendations which are of acid of various types/strengths

https://hg.eu/media/esnlovxn/0510100210006.pdf

The clue to the effectiveness may be in the word "film" and it may be
effective on the haze that is left after a brief wipe-off rather than
removing bulk material.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2020 16:59, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 13:57:16 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Thin film may come off with a non-scratch scourer.

Likely so.

Due to my hands getting a bit arthritic I was hoping their might be
something that fitted a power tool.

Polishing mop and polisher?

on a matt surfaced tile?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 09:03:00 +0000, alan_m wrote:

Due to my hands getting a bit arthritic I was hoping their might

be
something that fitted a power tool.

Polishing mop and polisher?

on a matt surfaced tile?

Didn't say anything about any polishing compound. B-)
Also thinking that a polisher is going to far less agressive than a
cloth wheel on a drill or angle grinder.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 October 2020 11:16:07 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof
adhesive/grout, and got called away before finishing off. The actual
grouting is fine - but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock
hard. Tiles are ceramic and matt finish. Any tips on the easiest way
to remove the residue?

acid

What would that do to the actual grouting which is fine?

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 29/10/2020 16:59, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 13:57:16 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Thin film may come off with a non-scratch scourer.

Likely so.

Due to my hands getting a bit arthritic I was hoping their might be
something that fitted a power tool.

Polishing mop and polisher?

on a matt surfaced tile?

Those green plastic pot scourers seem to do it OK. Without scratching the
surface. A wheel made of that to fit a power tool would be great.

--
*WHOSE CRUEL IDEA WAS IT FOR THE WORD 'LISP' TO HAVE 'S' IN IT?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Those green plastic pot scourers seem to do it OK. Without scratching the
surface. A wheel made of that to fit a power tool would be great.

You can buy various grades of "scotch-brite" wheels/discs, e.g.

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GXNF6GY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 10:50:15 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Those green plastic pot scourers seem to do it OK. Without scratching
the surface.

Green pot scourers (ie the scouring bit) are normally "scratch" and
some can be quite agressive. The white ones are "non-scratch". Might
not be quite so an issue on matt compared to a smooth or gloss
surface.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 11:12:49 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Those green plastic pot scourers seem to do it OK. Without

scratching
the surface. A wheel made of that to fit a power tool would be

great.

You can buy various grades of "scotch-brite" wheels/discs, e.g.

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GXNF6GY

Ooo, they look interesting, thanks. Quite a selection of different
types and grades to choose from as well. Wonder if they'd be better
used with a random oribtal sander rather than drill?

Must admit to being a bit cagey using a mains powered tool in
combination with the required lubricating/debris removal water.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 10:50:15 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Those green plastic pot scourers seem to do it OK. Without scratching
the surface.

Green pot scourers (ie the scouring bit) are normally "scratch" and
some can be quite agressive. The white ones are "non-scratch". Might
not be quite so an issue on matt compared to a smooth or gloss
surface.

I've got pots with glass lids. Never had a problem with any pot scourer
scratching that?

--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Those green plastic pot scourers seem to do it OK. Without scratching the
surface. A wheel made of that to fit a power tool would be great.

You can buy various grades of "scotch-brite" wheels/discs, e.g.

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GXNF6GY

That looks just the thing. Says it won't scratch glass, so presumably ok
on tile faces? Assuming the matt finish on mine is as hard as glass?

--
*A backward poet writes inverse.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Those green plastic pot scourers seem to do it OK. Without scratching the
surface. A wheel made of that to fit a power tool would be great.

You can buy various grades of "scotch-brite" wheels/discs, e.g.

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GXNF6GY

That looks just the thing. Says it won't scratch glass, so presumably ok
on tile faces? Assuming the matt finish on mine is as hard as glass?

Just to add, a review says they were great for removing grout residue - so
I've ordered up a set. I've got plenty batteries for the cordless drill so
not concerned about using some water with them.

Ebay has plenty refills and cheap - but from China. I can see this being
very useful for lots of other things if it does what it says on the tin.

--
*A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2020 16:49, Martin Brown wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof
adhesive/grout, and got called away before finishing off. The actual
grouting is fine - but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock
hard. Tiles are ceramic and matt finish. Any tips on the easiest way to
remove the residue?

No-one? I can scrape it off with a chisel without damage to the tile. Was
hoping someone knew a quicker way.

I find a box cutter about the right combination of flexible and blade
width for scraping off bits of set grout. The waterproof stuff once
fully cured is only going to come off by physical removal.

If you have a steady hand a stanley knife with the blade in paper
scraping configuration will give you an even wider scraper edge.

I have a plastic window scraper that takes a standard stanley
blade. Useful for going over a window, wetted with water and
some washing up liquid, after external painting, to remove
any miscreant blobs and small splashes of paint.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-gl...aper/p/0343652
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2020 18:23, williamwright wrote:
Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof
adhesive/grout,
and got called away before finishing off. The actual grouting is fine -
but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock hard. Tiles are ceramic
and matt finish. Any tips on the easiest way to remove the residue?

Remove and replace the tiles.

Bill

With an angle grinder :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 October 2020 11:16:07 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof
adhesive/grout, and got called away before finishing off. The actual
grouting is fine - but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock
hard. Tiles are ceramic and matt finish. Any tips on the easiest way
to remove the residue?

acid

What would that do to the actual grouting which is fine?

Harpic ?. Contains dilute HCL and is sticky enough to
adhere to the tiles rather than running off too quickly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof adhesive/grout,
and got called away before finishing off. The actual grouting is fine -
but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock hard. Tiles are ceramic
and matt finish. Any tips on the easiest way to remove the residue?

Earlier this week I re-enameled our 50 year old bath. I managed to get a
line of this 2 part paint above the masking tape.
A window scraper removed the paint without scratching the tiles.
Note: The tile are not completely flat. It's like they had paint dripped on
them & were then glazed over the top so that the whole surface undulates.

--
Regards
wasbit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 13:17:52 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've got pots with glass lids. Never had a problem with any pot scourer
scratching that?

Tell that to a patch on a windscreen and the wood burning stove glass
that had an ecounter with green (aka "scratch") pot scourers. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 13:51:09 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You can buy various grades of "scotch-brite" wheels/discs, e.g.
https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GXNF6GY

That looks just the thing. Says it won't scratch glass, so

presumably
ok on tile faces? Assuming the matt finish on mine is as hard as

glass?

Just to add, a review says they were great for removing grout residue -
so I've ordered up a set.

Be very interested to know how you get on. I can think of a couple of
possible uses as well.

I've got plenty batteries for the cordless drill so not concerned about
using some water with them.

Only one and that appears to be on it's way out. Though a few decent
dis/recharge cycles would probably do it a world of good.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2020 11:44, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 13:17:52 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've got pots with glass lids. Never had a problem with any pot scourer
scratching that?

Tell that to a patch on a windscreen and the wood burning stove glass
that had an encounter with green (aka "scratch") pot scourers. B-)

Yup. The white one are OK. But t gree ones will degrade surfaces damned
fast. Even glass.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 13:51:09 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You can buy various grades of "scotch-brite" wheels/discs, e.g.
https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GXNF6GY

That looks just the thing. Says it won't scratch glass, so

presumably
ok on tile faces? Assuming the matt finish on mine is as hard as

glass?

Just to add, a review says they were great for removing grout residue -
so I've ordered up a set.

Be very interested to know how you get on. I can think of a couple of
possible uses as well.

They arrived this morning. Very impressive service. I'll try it later
today.

I've got plenty batteries for the cordless drill so not concerned
about using some water with them.

Only one and that appears to be on it's way out. Though a few decent
dis/recharge cycles would probably do it a world of good.

I treated myself some time ago to a Lidl set of cordless hammer drill,
jigsaw and circular saw that all use the same batteries. And got a couple
of spares too. So I'm ok for a while. ;-)

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 13:18:06 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Just to add, a review says they were great for removing grout

residue
so I've ordered up a set.

Be very interested to know how you get on. I can think of a couple

of
possible uses as well.

They arrived this morning. Very impressive service. I'll try it later
today.

Had a chance to play?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 13:18:06 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Just to add, a review says they were great for removing grout

residue
so I've ordered up a set.

Be very interested to know how you get on. I can think of a couple

of
possible uses as well.

They arrived this morning. Very impressive service. I'll try it later
today.

Had a chance to play?

Not yet - I'm struggling with putting up the new ceiling. No room to get a
tall enough step ladder in there - so having to work at full stretch.

--
*What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not yet - I'm struggling with putting up the new ceiling. No room to get a
tall enough step ladder in there - so having to work at full stretch.

I've over boarded two ceilings this year and still have one to do. I
invested in a plasterboard hoist after remembering the hassle I had when
I was younger

https://tinyurl.com/y5odd9cc

My original ceilings were at 9 foot.

The other cheap accessory that was a god-send was a plasterboard handle
which made one man shifting of 2.4m x 1.2m plasterboard sheets a doddle
(as long as they didn't have to go up-stairs which has a 90 degree
bend). Luckily the only room upstairs that required a new ceiling was a
small box room requiring only two plasterboard sheets.

https://tinyurl.com/y2767vle

Only one handle is required for a one man to lift a sheet of
plasterboard - just get it in the middle of the longest edge.