Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One for the plumbers.

I am considering fitting an additional expansion vessel to our heating
system. Advice specifies boiler return pipe location. Why?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2020 18:38:30, Tim Lamb wrote:
I am considering fitting an additional expansion vessel to our heating
system. Advice specifies boiler return pipe location. Why?

Probably where the boiler pressure gauge/sensor is fitted, and so would
change least under normal operation if buffered by the expansion vessel?

It might affect the firing of the boiler if it wildly fluctuated when
valves/pumps were turned on or off?

BICBW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 18:38:30 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

I am considering fitting an additional expansion vessel to our heating
system. Advice specifies boiler return pipe location. Why?

Because you wouldn't want to pump pushing water *towards* the tank?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am considering fitting an additional expansion vessel to our heating
system. Advice specifies boiler return pipe location. Why?

Because you wouldn't want to pump pushing water *towards* the tank?

Cheers, T i m

I'd say rather that any pump noise at vane passing frequencies will be
effectively damped after going all the way around the system.

But TBH I don't think it would matter much.

One bit of advice, though. Include a service valve between the system
and the tank, and also a drain cock on the tank side. Then it is very
easy to check the tank pressure in the future. Just remember to open the
valve afterwards. (I have a lever type ball valve on mine so that its
setting is always immediately obvious).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2020 21:09, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 18:38:30 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

I am considering fitting an additional expansion vessel to our heating
system. Advice specifies boiler return pipe location. Why?

It's that bit cooler so less wear on the diaphragm.

But it is a dead leg, so not much conduction unless it is very short.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am considering fitting an additional expansion vessel to our heating
system. Advice specifies boiler return pipe location. Why?

Because you wouldn't want to pump pushing water *towards* the tank?

Cheers, T i m

I'd say rather that any pump noise at vane passing frequencies will be
effectively damped after going all the way around the system.

Ah, I was thinking 'expansion tank' not 'vessel'. Not got any CGH
here, let alone a sealed system. ;-)

But TBH I don't think it would matter much.

No, I agree, especially in the vessel case.

There might be some 'best practice' reasons to do it one way or some
technical reason to do it so though.

One bit of advice, though. Include a service valve between the system
and the tank, and also a drain cock on the tank side.

+1

Then it is very
easy to check the tank pressure in the future.

An advantage of a vented system, you can peer in the top of the
expansion tank?

Just remember to open the
valve afterwards.

Depending on why Tim thinks he needs a second expansion vessel, it may
not make any noticeable difference?

(I have a lever type ball valve on mine so that its
setting is always immediately obvious).

When I was doing all the plumbing here 40 years ago they typically
recommended gate valves (low pressure) and conventional stopcocks
(mains pressure), I'm not sure ball valves were used much outside
washing machine attachments?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 21:20:59 +0000, newshound wrote:

I am considering fitting an additional expansion vessel to our

heating
system. Advice specifies boiler return pipe location. Why?

It's that bit cooler so less wear on the diaphragm.

But it is a dead leg, so not much conduction unless it is very short.

Well it's dead in that it goes nowhere but there is still the
flow/return due to the expansion of the water from cold to hot and
back. I think that expansion is about 1 l per 100 l 10 to 70 C,
guesstimate that's a metre or two of 15 mm pipe.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 21:20:59 +0000, newshound wrote:

I am considering fitting an additional expansion vessel to our

heating
system. Advice specifies boiler return pipe location. Why?

It's that bit cooler so less wear on the diaphragm.

But it is a dead leg, so not much conduction unless it is very short.

Well it's dead in that it goes nowhere but there is still the
flow/return due to the expansion of the water from cold to hot and
back. I think that expansion is about 1 l per 100 l 10 to 70 C,
guesstimate that's a metre or two of 15 mm pipe.

Umm. My boiler modulates but, due to the characteristics of underfloor
heating, is mostly returning water at reasonably high temperature. I'll
do some checks.
There is an 8L vessel in the boiler anyway.
A question for another day is how to adapt the *weather compensation
provision* to run the system at a lower temperature when there is no
call for re-heating the DHW.

The actual issue is that the diverter valve momentarily blocks the pump
flow leading to water hammer which opens the boiler relief valve thus
losing system water:-)
An alternative solution is to fit a bypass valve: to maintain flow
during the transition. Soldering access is a pig!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 09:28:59 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

The actual issue is that the diverter valve momentarily blocks the pump
flow leading to water hammer which opens the boiler relief valve thus
losing system water:-)

Have some relays that switch the pump off when the divert valve is
being motored?

An alternative solution is to fit a bypass valve: to maintain flow
during the transition. Soldering access is a pig!

That might not stop the hammer unless reasonably open...

Will adding another expansion vessel do anything? After all you have
one already and they have quite high interia due to their size. It
would have to connected close to the divertor valve an on a short
pipe as well.

Surely one of the small "water hammer arrestors" would be better?
Screwfix have several, can't persuade Toolstations site to cough
anything up.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 09:28:59 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

The actual issue is that the diverter valve momentarily blocks the pump
flow leading to water hammer which opens the boiler relief valve thus
losing system water:-)

Have some relays that switch the pump off when the divert valve is
being motored?

System boiler, internal pump.

An alternative solution is to fit a bypass valve: to maintain flow
during the transition. Soldering access is a pig!

That might not stop the hammer unless reasonably open...

The idea was to divert the flow through the hot tank coil with an
automatic bypass valve (Honeywell DU144)

Will adding another expansion vessel do anything? After all you have
one already and they have quite high interia due to their size. It
would have to connected close to the divertor valve an on a short
pipe as well.

Tucked away in the boiler, I don't know which leg it is on. Also 8L is a
bit meagre for very cold weather when more heating circuits are running.

Surely one of the small "water hammer arrestors" would be better?
Screwfix have several, can't persuade Toolstations site to cough
anything up.

Pass. What I hear as water hammer may be the boiler safety valve opening
and re-closing. Plumbed in to the condensate pipe so hard to tell.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Oct 2020 at 12:50:41 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

How about a motorised valve opening a bypass pipe a few seconds before the
diverter valve operates? I think short delay mains relays are probably a
commodity. Though I haven't looked.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
On 28 Oct 2020 at 12:50:41 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

Heading back towards Y plan complexity which I wanted to avoid. One day,
a visiting plumber is going to try making sense of this system!
Currently it is W plan with some relays to fudge the underfloor heat
control requirements.

I think an automatic bypass would be simpler to understand.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 18:38:30 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

I am considering fitting an additional expansion vessel to our heating
system. Advice specifies boiler return pipe location. Why?

As an aside when our new Worcester Bosch combi boiler was fitted I read
the installation manual.

If there were more than a certain number of radiators it required an
additional expansion vessel to be fitted (beyond the one which came inside
the boiler).

I presume because the extra volume of water caused more expansion when
heated.

The plumber had never heard of this before.
[Was also indecently amused that anyone would bother to read the manual.]

Anyway, no idea about the recommended location.
It was a while back.

I assume that the pressure difference between pump out and return might
affect the expansion vessel? Pop the release valve if there is one?

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I reckon the modern small ball valves are pretty good, and not silly
money. You can get full bore ones that are only slightly larger than the
standard service valves. I also favour the ones with a proper lever on
them. I have an extra couple for "easy access" on the gas and water
mains. You can even train wives and children how to use them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2020 00:10, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 21:20:59 +0000, newshound wrote:

I am considering fitting an additional expansion vessel to our

heating
system. Advice specifies boiler return pipe location. Why?

It's that bit cooler so less wear on the diaphragm.

But it is a dead leg, so not much conduction unless it is very short.

Well it's dead in that it goes nowhere but there is still the
flow/return due to the expansion of the water from cold to hot and
back. I think that expansion is about 1 l per 100 l 10 to 70 C,
guesstimate that's a metre or two of 15 mm pipe.

And how long does that take, and how quickly does a foot of warm copper
pipe cool down, especially if it is not lagged. (Actually thinking about
it, mine is on a braid covered flexible hose).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2020 19:07, David wrote:
[...]

No relief valve, relies on the one in the boiler. Difficult to
over-pressurise anyway until the diaphragm fails. Probably the schraeder
valve that is the weak link.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 20:10:01 +0000, newshound
wrote:

snip

When I was doing all the plumbing here 40 years ago they typically
recommended gate valves (low pressure) and conventional stopcocks
(mains pressure), I'm not sure ball valves were used much outside
washing machine attachments?

I reckon the modern small ball valves are pretty good, and not silly
money. You can get full bore ones that are only slightly larger than the
standard service valves.

Yeah ... and I think they are worth spending the extra money on, for
all the advantages they offer.

I also favour the ones with a proper lever on
them.

Agreed. I've seen too many people twist the plastic caps off the
appliance ones because they have seized. Using a small adjustable
first is all they normally need to get them moving first though.

I have an extra couple for "easy access" on the gas and water
mains.

We used to have a communal water main that ran across the back of the
cottages and off that to each house in some galvanised steel pipe.
When isolating my supply via my underground tap I suddenly found I had
a pond in the garden. Luckily I knew a guy who worked for the water
board who came round and repaired the broken bit (it has rusted away).
[1]

When we built the extension it meant it would go over the communal
main so we paid to have it bypassed (in plastic) around our extension
(to the boundary) and a new main run in directly (plastic, inside some
plastic ducting).

Some years later we got a knock on the door saying that there was a
burst in the communal bit and I'd have to pay my share. I explained
why I didn't and how the leak in their main couldn't be in my garden.
;-)

You can even train wives and children how to use them.

Daughter is quite practical and I'm not sure the Mrs could get to it
with her knees (or not comfortably).

It's a conventional stopcock and I try to work it closed and back once
in a while, just to make sure I can ... but a quality ball valve would
be nice.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I had a temporary standpipe in the kitchen when I first bought
this place but was still living with my parents. I came round after
work to do some more work and found the bib tap on the kitchen floor
and a rod of ice sticking out of the stand pipe! *Luckily* it was
still all frozen so I was able to isolate it outside and put the tap
back on with not a drop of water spilled. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Oct 2020 at 16:09:40 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
On 28 Oct 2020 at 12:50:41 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

I agree, but I thought there was some risk it wouldn't open fast enough to
prevent the overpressure/water hammer effect.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2020 00:29:33, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 28 Oct 2020 at 16:09:40 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
On 28 Oct 2020 at 12:50:41 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

I can't think of anything acting faster than a pressure senstive bypass
valve?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 28 October 2020 19:07:06 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
If there were more than a certain number of radiators it required an
additional expansion vessel to be fitted (beyond the one which came inside
the boiler).
The plumber had never heard of this before.
[Was also indecently amused that anyone would bother to read the manual.]

Heaven forbid he would actually calculate the volume of water in the system

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Oct 2020 at 01:10:33 GMT, "Fredxx" wrote:

On 29/10/2020 00:29:33, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 28 Oct 2020 at 16:09:40 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
On 28 Oct 2020 at 12:50:41 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

If it works, that's fine. What acts "faster" is delaying the diverter
closing. See my suggestion above.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 01:10:33 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I think an automatic bypass would be simpler to understand.

I agree, but I thought there was some risk it wouldn't open fast

enough
to prevent the overpressure/water hammer effect.

I can't think of anything acting faster than a pressure senstive bypass
valve?

Small pocket of air trapped in a stub of pipe? Aka a water hammer
arrestor?

Pressure sensistive bypass will spring shut after the transient,
possibly making the hammer worse. Water hammer does not behave how
one might expect. The sudden pressure build up caused by the interia
of the moving water needs to be dissipated/absorbed by something.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
On 29 Oct 2020 at 01:10:33 GMT, "Fredxx" wrote:

On 29/10/2020 00:29:33, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 28 Oct 2020 at 16:09:40 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
On 28 Oct 2020 at 12:50:41 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

Ok but where does the boiler output go? Stop the pump and it would lock
out on over temperature surely.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 01:10:33 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I think an automatic bypass would be simpler to understand.

I agree, but I thought there was some risk it wouldn't open fast

enough
to prevent the overpressure/water hammer effect.

I can't think of anything acting faster than a pressure senstive bypass
valve?

Small pocket of air trapped in a stub of pipe? Aka a water hammer
arrestor?

Pressure sensistive bypass will spring shut after the transient,
possibly making the hammer worse. Water hammer does not behave how
one might expect. The sudden pressure build up caused by the interia
of the moving water needs to be dissipated/absorbed by something.

Hopefully a pressure sensitive by-pass would restrict the pressure rise.
I may have miss-described the boiler relief valve opening.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Oct 2020 at 18:52:34 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
On 29 Oct 2020 at 01:10:33 GMT, "Fredxx" wrote:

On 29/10/2020 00:29:33, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 28 Oct 2020 at 16:09:40 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
On 28 Oct 2020 at 12:50:41 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

My suggestion was having a valve open a bypass pipe, and after a second or so
operate the diverter. No need to stop the pump.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
wrote:
.

My suggestion was having a valve open a bypass pipe, and after a second or so
operate the diverter. No need to stop the pump.

OK. That should work. I may try the valve first as the plumbers fitted
one! Sadly in the wrong place!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2020 19:07, David wrote:
The plumber had never heard of this before.
[Was also indecently amused that anyone would bother to read the manual.]

name and Shame him !

Today's 'problem'. One for the group plumbers, maybe ...? Arfa Daily UK diy 4 May 18th 11 10:19 AM
One for the plumbers John UK diy 12 October 22nd 08 10:20 AM
one for the plumbers? Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 5 September 11th 08 12:35 AM
wierd one for the plumbers homer UK diy 45 November 11th 05 09:12 PM
One for the plumbers? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 14 February 20th 05 09:30 PM