DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   thermalite blocks etc (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/68097-thermalite-blocks-etc.html)

jacob September 6th 04 06:40 PM

thermalite blocks etc

I want to put a panel of insulating blocks or bricks floor to ceiling
behind my woodburner and flue.
I've never knowingly seen a thermalite block - are they hard enough to
be left self finished or would they get damaged by contact or heat? If
so what else would also insulate better than ordinary bricks?

cheers

Jacob

EricP September 6th 04 07:08 PM

On 6 Sep 2004 10:40:43 -0700, (jacob)
wrote:

I want to put a panel of insulating blocks or bricks floor to ceiling
behind my woodburner and flue.
I've never knowingly seen a thermalite block - are they hard enough to
be left self finished or would they get damaged by contact or heat? If
so what else would also insulate better than ordinary bricks?

cheers

Jacob

They are a mixture of cement and aluminium powder, it foams them. They
are foam cement blocks. Light and fairly strong, but not really heat
proof for direct contact.

The Natural Philosopher September 6th 04 11:46 PM

jacob wrote:

I want to put a panel of insulating blocks or bricks floor to ceiling
behind my woodburner and flue.
I've never knowingly seen a thermalite block - are they hard enough to
be left self finished or would they get damaged by contact or heat? If
so what else would also insulate better than ordinary bricks?

Yuk.

There are three things I'd use.

(i) Bricks, because they look nice (to me) - especaily OLD bricks.

(ii) supalux or masterboard or multiboard - its a glass loaded gypsum
board and is eseentyially the modern answer to asbestos. Takes paint
very well. But the paint will need to take the heat as well.

(iii) Concrete blocks rendered over for a 'rough plastery' sort of finish.

BUT

cheers

Jacob