DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Inline Extractor Fan (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/680749-inline-extractor-fan.html)

Andrew October 8th 20 01:39 PM

Inline Extractor Fan

Is it better that it is positioned close to the inlet vent or close to
the outlet? Better or pushing or pulling air around?

David October 8th 20 01:49 PM

Inline Extractor Fan

On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 13:39:49 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Is it better that it is positioned close to the inlet vent or close to
the outlet? Better or pushing or pulling air around?

Think mine are in the middle. :-)

Fredxx[_3_] October 8th 20 02:07 PM

Inline Extractor Fan

On 08/10/2020 13:39:49, Andrew wrote:
Is it better that it is positioned close to the inlet vent or close to
the outlet? Better or pushing or pulling air around?

I would suggest noise should be the deciding factor.

Noise is best kept at the source and not above a bedroom. Power may also
be another consideration.

I'm not convinced position is significant. If there is a choice then
away from any bends. Condensation may also be a factor where moisture
will condense and pool, sometimes in the motor housing.

For that reason I might be in favour of combined vent/motor combinations
in the affected room rather than an inline fan. Access is also more
convenient with less joins.

YMMV

Chris J Dixon October 8th 20 02:16 PM

Inline Extractor Fan

Fredxx wrote:

On 08/10/2020 13:39:49, Andrew wrote:
Is it better that it is positioned close to the inlet vent or close to
the outlet? Better or pushing or pulling air around?

I would suggest noise should be the deciding factor.

Noise is best kept at the source and not above a bedroom. Power may also
be another consideration.

After recommendation here, I bought one of these:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...ENTslashT.html

Admittedly not cheap, but I was amazed by how quiet it was, I had
to feel the air to be sure it was running. You can't even hear it
in the bathroom, certainly not elsewhere.

It is screwed to a board across a couple of joists, and there
seems to be no discernable direct transmission. The mounting
bracket includes some rubber isolation material.

The airflow is far better than the (failed) cheap one it
replaced. It can push-fit into the pipework, and is readily
removable for cleaning.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

John Rumm October 9th 20 12:05 AM

Inline Extractor Fan

On 08/10/2020 13:39, Andrew wrote:

Is it better that it is positioned close to the inlet vent or close to
the outlet? Better or pushing or pulling air around?

It does not make much difference, but I normally try to have it at a
high point so that condensation runs away from it. Really it then just
comes down to where you can mount it so its accessible for maintenance,
and will keep as much noise away from places you don't want it as possible.

--
Cheers,

John.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) October 9th 20 10:34 AM

Inline Extractor Fan

Its not much to choose if its in a constant diameter duct, but if its closer
to the outside, it can suffer from the weather a lot more.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Fredxx[_3_] October 9th 20 01:14 PM

Inline Extractor Fan

On 08/10/2020 14:16:26, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

On 08/10/2020 13:39:49, Andrew wrote:
Is it better that it is positioned close to the inlet vent or close to
the outlet? Better or pushing or pulling air around?

I would suggest noise should be the deciding factor.

Noise is best kept at the source and not above a bedroom. Power may also
be another consideration.

After recommendation here, I bought one of these:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...ENTslashT.html

That is some price. Having said that, doing the job yourself and
properly will be cheaper than getting someone who undoubtedly won't have
the same care and consideration.

Andrew October 9th 20 02:13 PM

Inline Extractor Fan

On 08/10/2020 14:16, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

[...]

That is the one that I have to install - except it is the 4inch version.
Matches the diameter of the roof vent.