DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   coffee machines choice? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/680733-coffee-machines-choice.html)

John Towill October 8th 20 08:41 AM

coffee machines choice?

I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone any
tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

Martin Brown[_3_] October 8th 20 09:03 AM

coffee machines choice?

On 08/10/2020 08:41, John Towill wrote:
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone any
tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

For filter coffee, pod coffee or espresso they are all quite different?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

newshound October 8th 20 10:12 AM

coffee machines choice?

On 08/10/2020 08:41, John Towill wrote:
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone any
tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

Beans to cup? I'm very happy with my DeLonghi. I was amused to see
Siemens flooding facebook with ads for machines that started upwards of
£1000.

charles October 8th 20 10:42 AM

coffee machines choice?

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 08/10/2020 08:41, John Towill wrote:
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone any
tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

Beans to cup? I'm very happy with my DeLonghi. I was amused to see
Siemens flooding facebook with ads for machines that started upwards of
£1000.

Our recently bought DeLongi filter machine from John Lewis cost a mere £39
;-)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

TimW October 8th 20 10:43 AM

coffee machines choice?

On 08/10/2020 08:41, John Towill wrote:
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone any
tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

The best coffee is made with freshly ground beans. There is no getting
away from that. Pod coffee is a gimmick really, although undoubtedly
better than a cup of instant and better than stale, long opened ready
ground coffee.

TW

Andy Burns[_13_] October 8th 20 10:46 AM

coffee machines choice?

newshound wrote:

Beans to cup? I'm very happy with my DeLonghi

Same here, an americano is my standard coffee.

charles October 8th 20 11:07 AM

coffee machines choice?

In article , TimW wrote:
On 08/10/2020 08:41, John Towill wrote:
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone
any tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

The best coffee is made with freshly ground beans. There is no getting
away from that. Pod coffee is a gimmick really, although undoubtedly
better than a cup of instant and better than stale, long opened ready
ground coffee.

But ideal for self service. Simply hand the customer a pod and get back to
serving others.

We don't keep our packeted ground coffee for very long.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Tim Lamb[_2_] October 8th 20 11:30 AM

coffee machines choice?

In message , TimW
writes
On 08/10/2020 08:41, John Towill wrote:
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone
any tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

The best coffee is made with freshly ground beans. There is no getting
away from that. Pod coffee is a gimmick really, although undoubtedly
better than a cup of instant and better than stale, long opened ready
ground coffee.

I get through about 4 pods per day. Nespresso supply a plastic bag and
collect for disposal/recycling on their next delivery.
There have been rumours about changing the aluminium cap to improve
re-cyclability so they are concerned about their image.

Time is more important to me than the best possible drink!

--
Tim Lamb

jon October 8th 20 12:23 PM

coffee machines choice?

On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 10:43:07 +0100, TimW wrote:

On 08/10/2020 08:41, John Towill wrote:
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone
any tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

The best coffee is made with freshly ground beans. There is no getting
away from that. Pod coffee is a gimmick really, although undoubtedly
better than a cup of instant and better than stale, long opened ready
ground coffee.

TW

I make my first morning coffee from freshly ground beans in a Cafetiere
and rest of the day use coffee bags.

Theo[_3_] October 8th 20 12:29 PM

coffee machines choice?

Jethro_uk wrote:
To be honest it's the milk frother that gets most use - I like tea lattes
too.

Any recommendations for a standalone milk frother?
(to heat the milk, not those little battery whisks)

Theo

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 8th 20 12:30 PM

coffee machines choice?

On 08/10/2020 12:23, jon wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 10:43:07 +0100, TimW wrote:

On 08/10/2020 08:41, John Towill wrote:
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone
any tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

The best coffee is made with freshly ground beans. There is no getting
away from that. Pod coffee is a gimmick really, although undoubtedly
better than a cup of instant and better than stale, long opened ready
ground coffee.

TW

I make my first morning coffee from freshly ground beans in a Cafetiere
and rest of the day use coffee bags.

I make my first morning coffee from freshly ground beans in a Cafetiere
and rest of the day use instant.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Bob Eager[_7_] October 8th 20 12:42 PM

coffee machines choice?

On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 08:41:16 +0100, John Towill wrote:

I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone any
tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

I have a Bosch TES...something that is bean to cup. Four and a half years
and I am very happy.

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_4_] October 8th 20 08:25 PM

coffee machines choice?

On 08/10/2020 10:12, newshound wrote:
On 08/10/2020 08:41, John Towill wrote:
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone
any tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

Beans to cup? I'm very happy with my DeLonghi. I was amused to see
Siemens flooding facebook with ads for machines that started upwards of
£1000.

Another vote for Delonghi beans-to-cup here.
Ours is a few years old now and makes excellent coffee.

No scale issues as we fill it from the household soft water.

Bob Eager[_7_] October 8th 20 09:40 PM

coffee machines choice?

On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 20:48:59 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 20:25:08 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

On 08/10/2020 10:12, newshound wrote:
On 08/10/2020 08:41, John Towill wrote:
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone
any tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

Beans to cup? I'm very happy with my DeLonghi. I was amused to see
Siemens flooding facebook with ads for machines that started upwards
of £1000.

Another vote for Delonghi beans-to-cup here.
Ours is a few years old now and makes excellent coffee.

No scale issues as we fill it from the household soft water.

I presume beans-to-cup coffee machines grind the beans at some early
stage in the process. Can the degree of grind be varied to suit the
drinker?

On my Bosch, yes. Quite a range of adjustment. If it really doesn't suit
you, you can use an external grinder and select the pre-ground option;
there's a little hatch to insert the ground coffee.

Pancho October 8th 20 09:47 PM

coffee machines choice?

On 08/10/2020 12:23, jon wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 10:43:07 +0100, TimW wrote:

On 08/10/2020 08:41, John Towill wrote:
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone
any tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

The best coffee is made with freshly ground beans. There is no getting
away from that. Pod coffee is a gimmick really, although undoubtedly
better than a cup of instant and better than stale, long opened ready
ground coffee.

TW

I make my first morning coffee from freshly ground beans in a Cafetiere
and rest of the day use coffee bags.

I make my first morning coffee from freshly ground beans in a Cafetiere
and rest of the day use instant.

I make a full jug from a filter machine. When it is all filtered I turn
off the heater. If the coffee in the jug has gone cold, I pour out a cup
and microwave it. It often lasts a couple of days. It tastes better
than nespresso or instant.

I use ground coffee packets, but a packet only lasts a week. It doesn't
seem to go stale in that time.

RJH[_2_] October 9th 20 04:16 AM

coffee machines choice?

On 8 Oct 2020 at 08:41:16 BST, "John Towill"
wrote:

I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone any
tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course?

I'd avoid a bean to cup, having been given a Beko machine recently. Takes a
lot of cleaning/faffing (the insides become putrid after a short while), and
while the coffee's fine, it's nothing special and not especially hot. And the
machine is noisy and takes up a chunk of worktop.

Best for me is a cafetiere with freshly ground beans, or ready ground as a
decent second best.

--
Cheers, Rob

Bob Eager[_7_] October 9th 20 09:11 AM

coffee machines choice?

On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 03:16:12 +0000, RJH wrote:

I'd avoid a bean to cup, having been given a Beko machine recently.
Takes a lot of cleaning/faffing (the insides become putrid after a short
while),
and while the coffee's fine, it's nothing special and not especially
hot. And the machine is noisy and takes up a chunk of worktop.

I've found my Bosch easy to clean. And it tells you when to run a
cleaning cycle.

The coffee could be hotter, but I pre-warm the mug using the hot water
facility...