DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hot water problem (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/67993-hot-water-problem.html)

Stuart Black September 5th 04 09:25 PM

Hot water problem

Hi

I am the midst up doing up my bathroom and Friday afternoon removed a
radiator, including the valves (i.e. leaving open pipes at each side). I
foolishly thought that since the heating was off for the summer it wouldn't
matter.

When a small amount of water appeared I figured that was because the 3-way
valve might have to make its way past the "heating" position, and capped the
pipes off on Saturday.

Today (Sunday) the hot water is refusing to heat up.

I figured there might be air in the system and found a little screw on the
infeed from the boiler to the hot water tank. I loosened this temporarily
and some air came out followed by a small amount of water, but the pipe to
the hot water tank is still not getting hot so the water inside the tank is
not getting hot.

I checked the CH expansion tank and that is OK, i.e. it hasn't run out of
water, it seems to fill OK when the level drops.

Any ideas what else i should look at ?

Yours feeling silly

Stuart

mike ring September 5th 04 10:47 PM

"Stuart Black" wrote in
:

Today (Sunday) the hot water is refusing to heat up.

I figured there might be air in the system and found a little screw on
the infeed from the boiler to the hot water tank. I loosened this
temporarily and some air came out followed by a small amount of water,
but the pipe to the hot water tank is still not getting hot so the
water inside the tank is not getting hot.

I checked the CH expansion tank and that is OK, i.e. it hasn't run out
of water, it seems to fill OK when the level drops.

Any ideas what else i should look at ?

It sounds as if your boiler and pump are not working; I know it seems a
bit obvious, but you don't say, and it's hard to see how they can be
with your description, also if the C/H is working, which again sounds
impossible, given your description, as three port systems are generally
HW priority.

The bleed valve you operated gets air out of the primary (boiler/hot
water coil) circuit, which appears to be ok

Try putting your valve in the "manual" position; this should enable the
pump and boiler to operate.

And repost, addressing my points, so the real experts have a bit more to
go on

HTH

mike