Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete prefab, base size., Have I mucked he size up?

Asked this over at Cormaic's, but no joy (maybe (much!) laterrrr, but
panic on, so here now). This is the slab I've just made with my Aldi
concrete mixer).

Nominal 6000mm by 5000 mm prefab garage for use as garden shed (by my
measurements it will be 6020 by 5035 actualsize).

Slab is 6050 by 5050.

Have I mucked it up and made it too small to use?

The "Plain ConcreteHardstanding" section of (pavingexpert) suggests at
leasat 150mm between edge of slab and garage structure. I've got 15mm,
give or take a couple of mil.

DATA (if required):

ASCII art attempt at floor slab section:

..-------------------//----------------,
| // | 200mm
| --------//-------- |
|__________| // |_________|

600mm

The edges (keels) of the slab are 200mm deep, 600mm wide, all around,
changing to 100+mm in the middle, with A142 mesh.

Corner post weight 100kg, side post weight 70kg, section weight 36kg
each 4 sections per bay so 144kg/bay. 6 bays per side 5 bays for back.

Therefore weight of concrete structure each side is ~1414kg, back is
1160, front will be much less because mostly 4 x side-hinged doors, roof
structure will be angle iron + Sterling board + corrugated iron.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.-------------------//----------------,
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* //Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* | 200mm
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* --------//--------Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|__________|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* //Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |_________|

Â*Â* 600mm

The edges (keels) of the slab are 200mm deep, 600mm wide, all around,
changing to 100+mm in the middle, with A142 mesh.

Corner post weight 100kg, side post weight 70kg, section weight 36kg
each 4 sections per bay so 144kg/bay. 6 bays per side 5 bays for back.

Therefore weight of concrete structure each side is ~1414kg, back is
1160, front will be much less because mostly 4 x side-hinged doors, roof
structure will be angle iron + Sterling board + corrugated iron.

sound
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So were you economising in concrete?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

| --------//-------- |
|__________| // |_________|

600mm

The edges (keels) of the slab are 200mm deep, 600mm wide, all around,
changing to 100+mm in the middle, with A142 mesh.

Corner post weight 100kg, side post weight 70kg, section weight 36kg each
4 sections per bay so 144kg/bay. 6 bays per side 5 bays for back.

Therefore weight of concrete structure each side is ~1414kg, back is 1160,
front will be much less because mostly 4 x side-hinged doors, roof
structure will be angle iron + Sterling board + corrugated iron.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 21:48, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
So were you economising in concrete?
Brian

No. There's probably rather more than 4.5 cu m there. I measured it
carefully, and the base is spot on. I had previously read (somewhere)
that the base should be just larger than the building. mCormaic's site
says 150mm. Lidget Compton say 3" larger all around.

The question remains unanswered (apart from "sound"), unfortunately. If
I need to do anything about it, I would rather know now, when I have
some work to do welding up trusses, which will take time, during which
more concrete could set.

What I am worried about is that the edge may give way, or the keel
deflect and "rotate".

--
-- This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...

| --------//-------- |
|__________| // |_________|

600mm

The edges (keels) of the slab are 200mm deep, 600mm wide, all around,
changing to 100+mm in the middle, with A142 mesh.

Corner post weight 100kg, side post weight 70kg, section weight 36kg

each
4 sections per bay so 144kg/bay. 6 bays per side 5 bays for back.

Therefore weight of concrete structure each side is ~1414kg, back is

1160,
front will be much less because mostly 4 x side-hinged doors, roof
structure will be angle iron + Sterling board + corrugated iron.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Since you already have laid the base and the purpose of the extra width is there to prevent all the weight from being right on the edge thus prevent it crumbling. I would dig out a trench all round the base to the depth of the keels allowing an extra 150mm all round to be added. This could be reinforced with rebar and as a belt and braces to tie the extra concrete to the existing base I would drive some long concrete screws into the side of the existing base with about half the screw protruding.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The manufacturer of my timber garage provided me with an exact base size, this was 100mm wider all round than the garage exterior measurements. Then again this was for a much lighter timber structure.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 22:22, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Since you already have laid the base and the purpose of the extra width is there to prevent all the weight from being right on the edge thus prevent it crumbling. I would dig out a trench all round the base to the depth of the keels allowing an extra 150mm all round to be added. This could be reinforced with rebar and as a belt and braces to tie the extra concrete to the existing base I would drive some long concrete screws into the side of the existing base with about half the screw protruding.

I was hoping not to have to do that. Would it really crumble? A quick
calculation on moment just now (!) (assuming downward force exerted by
wall/roof is 1750kg/side at 0.05m in from edge, force of keel alone
centred 0.3m in 1440kg/side) in will easily balance, unless I have ocket
that up too, so rotational force won't be an issue, Mix is C20, approx.
However, if I am to do anything, perhaps I could go out further on one
side/front, and leave the other sides as they are. 2/3 cubic metre of
concrete, about. I blame the booze/.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/9/20 7:21 am, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 09/09/2020 21:48, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
So were you economising in concrete?
Â* Brian

No. There's probably rather more than 4.5 cu m there. I measured it
carefully, and the base is spot on. I had previously read (somewhere)
that the base should be just larger than the building. mCormaic's site
says 150mm. Lidget Compton say 3" larger all around.

The question remains unanswered (apart from "sound"), unfortunately. If
I need to do anything about it, I would rather know now, when I have
some work to do welding up trusses, which will take time, during which
more concrete could set.

What I am worried about is that the edge may give way, or the keel
deflect and "rotate".

Any reason why you can not make the shed smaller?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 20:02, Chris Bacon wrote:

Asked this over at Cormaic's, but no joy (maybe (much!) laterrrr, but
panic on, so here now). This is the slab I've just made with my Aldi
concrete mixer).

4.5 cu m by hand through a mixer is quite impressive! Was that all "one
pour" so to speak?

Nominal 6000mm by 5000 mm prefab garage for use as garden shed (by my
measurements it will be 6020 by 5035 actualsize).

Slab is 6050 by 5050.

Have I mucked it up and made it too small to use?

I have seen plenty of slab foundations that were made exact size, and
they have held up fine with brick garages on them...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bacon wrote:

I had previously read (somewhere) that the base should be just larger
than the building. mCormaic's site says 150mm.

*If* it's required to comply with building control, then minimum 150mm
either side of wall is what part A section 2E3 says ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 07:07, F Murtz wrote:
Any reason why you can not make the shed smaller?

It's a prefab concrete building. While possible (I could replace bays
with timber, for instance), I'd rather not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 September 2020 at 12:58:52 UTC+1, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 10/09/2020 07:07, F Murtz wrote:
Any reason why you can not make the shed smaller?

It's a prefab concrete building. While possible (I could replace bays
with timber, for instance), I'd rather not.

It will be fine. You have effectively constructed a raft rather than strip footings, so any residual out-of-balance loads will be resisted by a small bending moment the central slab, which is fine assuming your mesh goes across everything. (and probably fine even if not)

The only issue would be if you have to make any fixings into the concrete near the edges as it might spall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 08:27, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/09/2020 20:02, Chris Bacon wrote:
Asked this over at Cormaic's, but no joy (maybe (much!) laterrrr, but
panic on, so here now). This is the slab I've just made with my Aldi
concrete mixer).

4.5 cu m by hand through a mixer is quite impressive! Was that all "one
pour" so to speak?

No, three lateral ~2m x 5m sections, each end taking the most concrete
due to keeled structure. I nave named my Aldi mixer "Wonky Donky",
because if you say that very s-l-o-w-l-y that's the noise it makes, the
drum's drive is pressed into the drum itself, which is not very
accurately made. Wonnnnkeeeee donnnnkeeee.

Nominal 6000mm by 5000 mm prefab garage for use as garden shed (by my
measurements it will be 6020 by 5035 actualsize).

Slab is 6050 by 5050.

Have I mucked it up and made it too small to use?

I have seen plenty of slab foundations that were made exact size, and
they have held up fine with brick garages on them...

I am on the horns of a dilemma. Say I'll have 1700kg each side, spread
over 6m length. 280kg to the metre, with most of the load being at the
bases of the posts. The load won't be as evenly distributed as it is
with brick.

OTOH my *other* "workshop" is similar, but is a single garage, and its
base slab is only just big enough. The posts are within 1cm of the edge,
the bays being set back ~3" due to being slotted into the posts.
However, that slab, which has been there for decades, is only around
3-5" thick, on "hardcore" of old bricks, china, broken concrete, the odd
copper pipe & all sorts. I'd guess the posts/bays are similar weight.
The new "shed" has 8" thick solid concrete keels over a DPM so should be
stronger, all else being equal.

The old:

https://ibb.co/TwsCYxF

The new:

https://ibb.co/dtR9ChW (first bay, DPM in, awaiting fabric mesh on
meshmen, shows 8" keel, 4" centre)
https://ibb.co/ZLg8sPj (work in progress, middle bay)
https://ibb.co/bz6Pnf6 (last section, showing mesh fabric on meshmen,
"front" of slab)
https://ibb.co/PY3cbrV ("The Diggings" with Wonky Donkey and a sunshade
for the concrete, doubling later as a cover to stop it drying).

I'm tempted to try it. I'm also tempted to trench out one side another
200mm and concrete that, although there are disadvantages there too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 13:13, Nikki Smith wrote:
On Thursday, 10 September 2020 at 12:58:52 UTC+1, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 10/09/2020 07:07, F Murtz wrote:
Any reason why you can not make the shed smaller?

It's a prefab concrete building. While possible (I could replace bays
with timber, for instance), I'd rather not.

It will be fine. You have effectively constructed a raft rather than strip footings, so any residual out-of-balance loads will be resisted by a small bending moment the central slab, which is fine assuming your mesh goes across everything. (and probably fine even if not)

The only issue would be if you have to make any fixings into the concrete near the edges as it might spall.

I have posted some pics on imgbb in another psot.

The only fixing I need to make is for the two side-by-side steel door
flamess at the front, where I propose to weld 3 pieces of 50mm x 6mm
flat bar to the bottom of the door frames which form almost the whole of
the front of the building, bringing the bar back into the building by
150mm or so, and bolting that to the floor. More ASCII art:

/ Front Elevation \ -roof slope exagg'd
/ \
############################################### - 6 x 2 "raiser"
@%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%#%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%@
@% %#% %@ @ = concrete post
@% %#% %@ # = timber post
@% %#% %@ % = steel doorframe
@% %#% %@ = = concrete raft
@% %#% %@
@% %#% %@
@% %#% %@
@% x %#% x %@
@%x %#%x %@
=x=====================x=====================x=

x = steel flat bar retn'd into bldg and bolted to floor "3D effect"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 September 2020 at 14:03:32 UTC+1, Chris Bacon wrote:
[...]

I've done hundreds of pre-pour rebar inspections and that workmanship is better than most

I'm tempted to try it. I'm also tempted to trench out one side another
200mm and concrete that, although there are disadvantages there too.

Really, dont bother ... it's not needed and getting both side to act as a single lump is very hard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 14:03, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 10/09/2020 08:27, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/09/2020 20:02, Chris Bacon wrote:
Asked this over at Cormaic's, but no joy (maybe (much!) laterrrr, but
panic on, so here now). This is the slab I've just made with my Aldi
concrete mixer).

4.5 cu m by hand through a mixer is quite impressive! Was that all
"one pour" so to speak?

No, three lateral ~2m x 5m sections, each end taking the most concrete
due to keeled structure. I nave named my Aldi mixer "Wonky Donky",
because if you say that very s-l-o-w-l-y that's the noise it makes, the
drum's drive is pressed into the drum itself, which is not very
accurately made. Wonnnnkeeeee donnnnkeeee.

Nice job - and you managed to avoid trampling the mesh down into the mix
as well :-)

I am on the horns of a dilemma. Say I'll have 1700kg each side, spread
over 6m length. 280kg to the metre, with most of the load being at the
bases of the posts. The load won't be as evenly distributed as it is
with brick.

With the keel and the fabric reinforcement, the slab itself will do a
fairly good job of spreading the load anyway. Any torsional load on the
keels will be counterbalanced by that on the other side. I think you are
over worrying!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 17:35, John Rumm wrote:
Nice job - and you managed to avoid trampling the mesh down into the mix
as well :-)

Tank you sah. I decided to put some blocks off a pallet throuhj the mesh
and put a scaffold board on, needed a bit of care tipping the concrete
out of the barrow though. I have some meshmen left over...

With the keel and the fabric reinforcement, the slab itself will do a
fairly good job of spreading the load anyway. Any torsional load on the
keels will be counterbalanced by that on the other side. I think you are
over worrying!

I will have to drink about that overnight
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 14:29, Nikki Smith wrote:
On Thursday, 10 September 2020 at 14:03:32 UTC+1, Chris Bacon wrote:
The new:

https://ibb.co/dtR9ChW (first bay, DPM in, awaiting fabric mesh on
meshmen, shows 8" keel, 4" centre)
https://ibb.co/ZLg8sPj (work in progress, middle bay)
https://ibb.co/bz6Pnf6 (last section, showing mesh fabric on meshmen,
"front" of slab)
https://ibb.co/PY3cbrV ("The Diggings" with Wonky Donkey and a sunshade
for the concrete, doubling later as a cover to stop it drying).

I've done hundreds of pre-pour rebar inspections and that workmanship is better than most

Thank you too!

"Gissa job. Go on gissit. Gissa go, go on. I can do that". Never did it
before though.

Are you a BC person, then? My base has not been approved.

I'm tempted to try it. I'm also tempted to trench out one side another
200mm and concrete that, although there are disadvantages there too.

Really, dont bother ... it's not needed and getting both side to act as a single lump is very hard.

I have looked at the thing again. The centre line (longitudinal) of the
4 slabs that make each bay is about 60mm in from the edge. The A142 mesh
does not reach out that far. I take your point about joining concrete.
There would be effectively a strip of concrete 200mm wide along one
side, bearing the weight of one side and half the roof structure.