Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Social non-distancing

The local Hospital Car Park Ticket Machine. It takes:

1. One person wanting to pay but can't understand where to put their
ticket.
2. One smart-arse - to come and offer help.
3. Someone to offer to help with some change.

All strangers - needing to remove masks so that they can be better
understood - all within a small area.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
The local Hospital Car Park Ticket Machine. It takes:

1. One person wanting to pay but can't understand where to put their
ticket.
2. One smart-arse - to come and offer help.
3. Someone to offer to help with some change.

All strangers - needing to remove masks so that they can be better
understood - all within a small area.

Apparently, you need to be close for a reasonable time for it to be an
issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Radio Man wrote in
:

JohnP wrote:
The local Hospital Car Park Ticket Machine. It takes:

1. One person wanting to pay but can't understand where to put
their ticket.
2. One smart-arse - to come and offer help.
3. Someone to offer to help with some change.

All strangers - needing to remove masks so that they can be better
understood - all within a small area.

Apparently, you need to be close for a reasonable time for it to
be an issue.

I would have though one exhaled breath with the right aerosol of virus
is enough. Obviously the longer the contact time the greater the
likelyhood of the right conditions for transfer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 13:17, Radio Man wrote:
JohnP wrote:
The local Hospital Car Park Ticket Machine. It takes:

1. One person wanting to pay but can't understand where to put their
ticket.
2. One smart-arse - to come and offer help.
3. Someone to offer to help with some change.

All strangers - needing to remove masks so that they can be better
understood - all within a small area.

Apparently, you need to be close for a reasonable time for it to be an
issue.

IME it sometimes takes five minutes to figure out how these machines work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 13:27, newshound wrote:
IME it sometimes takes five minutes to figure out how these machines
work.

Make that *at least* five minutes for the ones in Swansea District
Council car parks. The menu display defaulting to Welsh adds another
hurdle for some.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 14:08, Mark Carver wrote:
On 09/09/2020 13:27, newshound wrote:
IME it sometimes takes five minutes to figure out how these machines
work.

Make that *at least* five minutes for the ones in Swansea District
Council car parks. The menu display defaulting to Welsh adds another
hurdle for some.

I used to work with a Welsh guy, listening to him rant on about how much
he despised "The Welsh Language" was amusing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Sep 2020 12:23:04 GMT, JohnP wrote:

Radio Man wrote in
:

JohnP wrote:
The local Hospital Car Park Ticket Machine. It takes:

1. One person wanting to pay but can't understand where to put
their ticket.
2. One smart-arse - to come and offer help.
3. Someone to offer to help with some change.

All strangers - needing to remove masks so that they can be better
understood - all within a small area.

Apparently, you need to be close for a reasonable time for it to
be an issue.

I would have though one exhaled breath with the right aerosol of virus
is enough.

Is the (actual) right answer. ;-)

Obviously the longer the contact time the greater the
likelyhood of the right conditions for transfer.

And the greater the viral load and risk of a stronger infection.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
The local Hospital Car Park Ticket Machine. It takes:

1. One person wanting to pay but can't understand where to put
their ticket.
2. One smart-arse - to come and offer help.
3. Someone to offer to help with some change.

All strangers - needing to remove masks so that they can be better
understood - all within a small area.

Apparently, you need to be â˜closeâ for a reasonable time for it to
be an issue.

I would have though one exhaled breath with the right aerosol of virus
is enough.

Is the (actual) right answer. ;-)

As usual things are not so black and white. It depends on how much of
the "right" aerosol you come in contact with:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ovid-19-worse/

Obviously the longer the contact time the greater the
likelyhood of the right conditions for transfer.

Or sufficient quantity of the virus entering the body.

And the greater the viral load and risk of a stronger infection.

Viral load is a measure after you caught it. I suggest you look up
"infection dose".

So much BS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 14:08, Mark Carver wrote:
On 09/09/2020 13:27, newshound wrote:
IME it sometimes takes five minutes to figure out how these machines
work.

Make that *at least* five minutes for the ones in Swansea District
Council car parks. The menu display defaulting to Welsh adds another
hurdle for some.

I've noticed that in Wales many car parks seem to have the most
complicated of pay points that could ever have been conceived, and as
you say, often defaulting to welsh on the display. Position the
terminal at a height suitable for a wheelchair user. Add a 26 letter
keypad (miniature mechanical buttons) not laid out in a qwerty format
and a 10 number keypad not laid out in a phone format and most people
take ages just to type in their full registration number.

Then you have to be familiar with the hieroglyphics symbols on other
buttons in order to proceed to to payment.

A few years back some didn't take new pound coins while others didn't
take old pound coins.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 14:38:37 +0100, Fredxx wrote:
snip
Apparently, you need to be close for a reasonable time for it to
be an issue.

I would have though one exhaled breath with the right aerosol of virus
is enough.

Is the (actual) right answer. ;-)

As usual things are not so black and white.

Doh! Who would have guessed, but not including 'having to be close to
someone for a reasonable time' to catch C19 (if you are unlucky).

It depends on how much of
the "right" aerosol you come in contact with:

No, really!

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ovid-19-worse/

Obviously the longer the contact time the greater the
likelyhood of the right conditions for transfer.

Or sufficient quantity of the virus entering the body.

And the greater the viral load and risk of a stronger infection.

Viral load is a measure after you caught it. I suggest you look up
"infection dose".

Interesting, thanks. However, I made no mention on how much the
symptoms presented, irrespective of how infected you were.

So much BS.

Hardly 'BS' (unlike Brain Rays input) because the concept of what I
had conflated is generally correct.

'Of course' the greater number of infected droplets you inhale the
greater chance you will get infected yourself and to what degree, that
also then affects the chances of you infecting someone else.

I wasn't wrong, it's just 'more complex'.

Anyway, it's not d-i-y related, wasn't marked OT: and so we will all
get told off soon!

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hardly 'BS' (unlike Brain Rays input) because the concept of what I
had conflated is generally correct.

cutting tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 16:37:51 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

snip

I've noticed that in Wales many car parks seem to have the most
complicated of pay points that could ever have been conceived, and as
you say, often defaulting to welsh on the display. Position the
terminal at a height suitable for a wheelchair user. Add a 26 letter
keypad (miniature mechanical buttons) not laid out in a qwerty format
and a 10 number keypad not laid out in a phone format and most people
take ages just to type in their full registration number.

And worse, they had left the keyboard autorepeat on meaning anyone
pressing the button too slowly got a screen full of the same character
(that they then deleted on by one, not using autorepeat).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
Radio Man wrote in
:

JohnP wrote:
The local Hospital Car Park Ticket Machine. It takes:

1. One person wanting to pay but can't understand where to put
their ticket.
2. One smart-arse - to come and offer help.
3. Someone to offer to help with some change.

All strangers - needing to remove masks so that they can be better
understood - all within a small area.

Apparently, you need to be close for a reasonable time for it to
be an issue.

I would have though one exhaled breath with the right aerosol of virus
is enough. Obviously the longer the contact time the greater the
likelyhood of the right conditions for transfer.

Here in Medway we had some problems early in lockdown with despicable
scumbags ignoring the advice to stay home and save lives. They were often
keen to pooh pooh the established scientific consensus around the spread of
viruses but fortunately their selfish idiocy was in the shameful minority.

--
M0TEY // STC // #SaveOurNHS
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 18:09, Stephen Cole wrote:
JohnP wrote:
Radio Man wrote in
:

JohnP wrote:
[...]

you mean brian raey ? ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Those machines, if they are like the ones I've seen about are pretty
impenetrable. I often do wonder when folk design such h things who they get
to test them?

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
The local Hospital Car Park Ticket Machine. It takes:

1. One person wanting to pay but can't understand where to put their
ticket.
2. One smart-arse - to come and offer help.
3. Someone to offer to help with some change.

All strangers - needing to remove masks so that they can be better
understood - all within a small area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 16:49:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Hardly 'BS' (unlike Brain Rays input) because the concept of what I
had conflated is generally correct.

cutting tee hee

LOL

I think that's the closest admission Tim has ever given to say he was wrong.

Now watch him dig a bigger hole to justify his BS!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
The local Hospital Car Park Ticket Machine. It takes:

1. One person wanting to pay but can't understand where to put
their ticket.
2. One smart-arse - to come and offer help.
3. Someone to offer to help with some change.

All strangers - needing to remove masks so that they can be better
understood - all within a small area.

Apparently, you need to be â˜closeâ for a reasonable time for it to
be an issue.

I would have though one exhaled breath with the right aerosol of virus
is enough.

Is the (actual) right answer. ;-)

You can be very unlucky and catch it from a single virus, but the innate
immune system in most people is quite good at seeing off small amounts.
Otherwise we would be succumbing to all sorts of random stuff.
(like people who are immunosuppressed do)

It is a numbers game and the lower infection threshold for Covid19 is
still not known (for ethical reasons) but is thought to be in the
hundreds or low thousands of viruses before you reach a 50:50 outcome.

Obviously the longer the contact time the greater the
likelyhood of the right conditions for transfer.

And the greater the viral load and risk of a stronger infection.

Although you are much more likely to catch it from entering your car
number plate in on the fiddly impossible to clean keyboard and then
rubbing your eyes. Astonishing how often people do this!

That is the common bottleneck in most NHS (and other) busy carparks.

Same problem with supermarket and bank machine PIN entry keyboards.
(they were never designed for easy cleaning)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 22:52:08 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

snip

I would have though one exhaled breath with the right aerosol of virus
is enough.

Is the (actual) right answer. ;-)

You can be very unlucky and catch it from a single virus, but the innate
immune system in most people is quite good at seeing off small amounts.
Otherwise we would be succumbing to all sorts of random stuff.

Yup.

(like people who are immunosuppressed do)

That must be frightening.

It is a numbers game and the lower infection threshold for Covid19 is
still not known (for ethical reasons) but is thought to be in the
hundreds or low thousands of viruses before you reach a 50:50 outcome.

Ok.

Obviously the longer the contact time the greater the
likelyhood of the right conditions for transfer.

And the greater the viral load and risk of a stronger infection.

Although you are much more likely to catch it from entering your car
number plate in on the fiddly impossible to clean keyboard and then
rubbing your eyes. Astonishing how often people do this!

Yup, see it myself. I carry a small antiseptic spray in my pocket all
the time and when out dog walking and have to touch a gate or dog poo
bin lid / flap, pedestrian crossing button or keypad we could have a
quick spray 'in case' we touch or faces before getting home and
washing our hands properly.

That is the common bottleneck in most NHS (and other) busy carparks.

I helped an old boy pre lockdown who was struggling at a hospital
carpark. All he wanted to do was visit his daughter who had been
rushed into hospital and he was already frustrated / upset.

Same problem with supermarket and bank machine PIN entry keyboards.
(they were never designed for easy cleaning)

And stuff is no longer made of brass. ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 21:34:12 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Those machines, if they are like the ones I've seen about are pretty
impenetrable. I often do wonder when folk design such h things who they get
to test them?

You are saying they test them Brian!

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep 2020 at 18:09:41 BST, "Stephen Cole"
wrote:

JohnP wrote:
Radio Man wrote in
:

JohnP wrote:
[...]

If I were asked to stay *at* home I would understand and try to comply. "Stay
home" is possibly an Americanism, but I have no idea what it means.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 12:17:20 -0000 (UTC), Radio Man
wrote:

JohnP wrote:
The local Hospital Car Park Ticket Machine. It takes:

1. One person wanting to pay but can't understand where to put their
ticket.
2. One smart-arse - to come and offer help.
3. Someone to offer to help with some change.

All strangers - needing to remove masks so that they can be better
understood - all within a small area.

Apparently, you need to be close for a reasonable time for it to be an
issue.

It was going to be 15 minutes on that smartphone app we didn't get.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep 2020 at 14:12:14 BST, "Pancho"
wrote:

On 09/09/2020 14:08, Mark Carver wrote:
On 09/09/2020 13:27, newshound wrote:
IME it sometimes takes five minutes to figure out how these machines
work.

Make that *at least* five minutes for the ones in Swansea District
Council car parks. The menu display defaulting to Welsh adds another
hurdle for some.

I used to work with a Welsh guy, listening to him rant on about how much
he despised "The Welsh Language" was amusing.

Clearly a result of an inferiority complex due to lifelong regret at not being
brought up to speak it.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 16:37, alan_m wrote:
On 09/09/2020 14:08, Mark Carver wrote:
On 09/09/2020 13:27, newshound wrote:
IME it sometimes takes five minutes to figure out how these machines
work.

Make that *at least* five minutes for the ones in Swansea District
Council car parks. The menu display defaulting to Welsh adds another
hurdle for some.

I've noticed that in Wales many car parks seem to have the most
complicated of pay points that could ever have been conceived, and as
you say, often defaulting to welsh on the display.* Position the
terminal at a height suitable for a wheelchair user. Add a 26 letter
keypad (miniature mechanical buttons) not laid out in a qwerty format
and a 10 number keypad not laid out in a phone format and most people
take ages just to type in their full registration number.

*I simply just don't understand not having the keyboard in Qwerty
format !!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 10:31, Mark Carver wrote:
On 09/09/2020 16:37, alan_m wrote:

snip

*I simply just don't understand not having the keyboard in Qwerty
format !!!

Avoids need to change the keyboard for different markets (not so simple
for a "tough" keyboard as for a PC/laptop)?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 12:59, Robin wrote:
On 10/09/2020 10:31, Mark Carver wrote:
On 09/09/2020 16:37, alan_m wrote:

snip

**I simply just don't understand not having the keyboard in Qwerty
format !!!

Avoids need to change the keyboard for different markets (not so
simple for a "tough" keyboard as for a PC/laptop)?

Apart from France, where else would it be significantly different ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Carver wrote:

Apart from France, where else would it be significantly different ?

German and swiss QWERTZ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 13:45, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

Apart from France, where else would it be significantly different ?

German and swiss QWERTZ

Umm.... :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

I've noticed that in Wales many car parks seem to have the most
complicated of pay points that could ever have been conceived, and as
you say, often defaulting to welsh on the display.* Position the
terminal at a height suitable for a wheelchair user. Add a 26 letter
keypad (miniature mechanical buttons) not laid out in a qwerty format

Welsh keyboard?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0ANoMPCIAEHzuM?format=jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.terena.org/activities/mu...t/kbd-all.html

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/09/2020 14:08, Mark Carver wrote:
On 09/09/2020 13:27, newshound wrote:
IME it sometimes takes five minutes to figure out how these machines
work.

Make that *at least* five minutes for the ones in Swansea District
Council car parks. The menu display defaulting to Welsh adds another
hurdle for some.

I used to work with a Welsh guy, listening to him rant on about how much
he despised "The Welsh Language" was amusing.

Clearly a result of an inferiority complex due to lifelong regret at not being
brought up to speak it

He was bought up to speak it.

Being taught in Welsh was one of his favourite rants. "Where am I going
to get a job speaking Welsh", he'd say, If only I'd been taught Spanish,
Chinese, etc I'd have a skill that had some worth in the jobs market.
They might just as well have taught me to speak Klingon.

Proper Welsh guy, loved rugby, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 13:35, Mark Carver wrote:
On 10/09/2020 12:59, Robin wrote:
On 10/09/2020 10:31, Mark Carver wrote:
On 09/09/2020 16:37, alan_m wrote:

snip

**I simply just don't understand not having the keyboard in Qwerty
format !!!

Avoids need to change the keyboard for different markets (not so
simple for a "tough" keyboard as for a PC/laptop)?

Apart from France, where else would it be significantly different ?

Well I don't know what was in Wales but I had in mind eg the various
ABCDE keyboards as I've met in various places where weather proof,
vandal resistant is required. Eg

https://www.directindustry.com/industrial-manufacturer/40-key-keypad-209753.html

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 17:12, Robin wrote:

Well I don't know what was in Wales but I had in mind eg the various
ABCDE keyboards as I've met in various places where weather proof,
vandal resistant is required.* Eg

https://www.directindustry.com/industrial-manufacturer/40-key-keypad-209753.html

I do wonder if its worth all the hassle of printing the car registration
on a paper ticket placed in the windscreen. The council or car park
owner many lose a little revenue with people handing over a ticket with
tine left on it to another car park user entering the car park. I guess
that most people don't regularly buy vast amounts of parking time that
they don't use and then bother to hand on the ticket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 19:02:08 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 10/09/2020 17:12, Robin wrote:

Well I don't know what was in Wales but I had in mind eg the various
ABCDE keyboards as I've met in various places where weather proof,
vandal resistant is required.* Eg

https://www.directindustry.com/indus...cturer/40-key-

keypad-209753.html

I do wonder if its worth all the hassle of printing the car registration
on a paper ticket placed in the windscreen. The council or car park
owner many lose a little revenue with people handing over a ticket with
tine left on it to another car park user entering the car park. I guess
that most people don't regularly buy vast amounts of parking time that
they don't use and then bother to hand on the ticket.

I can't remember the last time I bought a ticket. I use two different
apps for different areas, and that's that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 21:33, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 19:02:08 +0100, alan_m wrote:

I do wonder if its worth all the hassle of printing the car registration
on a paper ticket placed in the windscreen. The council or car park
owner many lose a little revenue with people handing over a ticket with
tine left on it to another car park user entering the car park. I guess
that most people don't regularly buy vast amounts of parking time that
they don't use and then bother to hand on the ticket.
I can't remember the last time I bought a ticket. I use two different
apps for different areas, and that's that.

Same here, (5 apps !)* but a year ago on holiday in the Swansea area the
council had still not embraced electronic ticket-less parking.

I do disagree with the idea of locking the printed ticket to the car
reg. As far as I'm concerned I'm renting 12.5 sqm of land for an hour or
two. If there's any time left over, it should be entirely my business
whether I gift that to someone else ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 08:20, Mark Carver wrote:

Same here, (5 apps !)* but a year ago on holiday in the Swansea area the
council had still not embraced electronic ticket-less parking.

Isn't that the problem, so many different companies offering the service.

You turn up somewhere new, have to download the app, register your
details and payment method and possibly having to remember yet another
username and password. This is assuming that you have a phone signal at
that location and its not somewhere in Wales in the shadow of those hills.

Much quicker with contactless payment by card BUT I have encountered a
toilet in a English town where the 20p fee to enter is via card only but
it didn't work with cards issued in the USA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 08:20:43 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

I do disagree with the idea of locking the printed ticket to the car
reg. As far as I'm concerned I'm renting 12.5 sqm of land for an hour or
two. If there's any time left over, it should be entirely my business
whether I gift that to someone else ?

You might feel differntly when faced with a busted window and a
parking charge notice after some toe rag has helped themselves to
your non-registration marked ticket. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 09:03, alan_m wrote:
On 11/09/2020 08:20, Mark Carver wrote:

Same here, (5 apps !)* but a year ago on holiday in the Swansea area
the council had still not embraced electronic ticket-less parking.

Isn't that the problem, so many different companies offering the service.

Yes, although it was six, but Parkmobile got bought up by RingGo. I
expect they will all eventually swallow each other up, and there'll just
be one !

You turn up somewhere new, have to download the app, register your
details and payment method and possibly having to remember yet another
username and password. This is assuming that you have a phone signal
at that location and its not somewhere in Wales in the shadow of those
hills.

Yes. In fact I seem to recall something on the news recently (well,
before March) where there was exactly that problem

Most car parks I've used* offer a contactless payment, in addition to
the app ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 09:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 08:20:43 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

I do disagree with the idea of locking the printed ticket to the car
reg. As far as I'm concerned I'm renting 12.5 sqm of land for an hour or
two. If there's any time left over, it should be entirely my business
whether I gift that to someone else ?

You might feel differntly when faced with a busted window and a
parking charge notice after some toe rag has helped themselves to
your non-registration marked ticket. B-)

**** happens. Can't say I've ever experienced that (yet) in 40 years of
motoring ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 09:30:04 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

I do disagree with the idea of locking the printed ticket to the

car
reg. As far as I'm concerned I'm renting 12.5 sqm of land for an

hour
or two. If there's any time left over, it should be entirely my
business whether I gift that to someone else ?

You might feel differntly when faced with a busted window and a
parking charge notice after some toe rag has helped themselves to
your non-registration marked ticket. B-)

**** happens. Can't say I've ever experienced that (yet) in 40 years of
motoring ?

Niether have I but I note your "yet". 40 years ago it wouldn't occur
to anybody to break in and steal a parking ticket. These days some
seem to think they are entitled to do such a thing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 21:59, Fredxx wrote:
On 09/09/2020 16:49:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Hardly 'BS' (unlike Brain Rays input) because the concept of what I
had conflated is generally correct.

cutting tee hee

LOL

I think that's the closest admission Tim has ever given to say he was
wrong.

Now watch him dig a bigger hole to justify his BS!

timbo is never wrong