DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   knot sealer question (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/67967-knot-sealer-question.html)

neil leslie September 5th 04 05:05 PM

knot sealer question

When preparing wood for painting [I'm about to do my floorboards] I've
been told to use a knot sealer. What is this for?

Thanks

Michael Mcneil September 5th 04 05:09 PM

"neil leslie" wrote in message

When preparing wood for painting [I'm about to do my floorboards] I've
been told to use a knot sealer. What is this for?

Its a resin like shellac that is impervious to resin that will bleed out
of the knots. You just dab a thin coat on the actual knot. 5 minutes
that's it. Don't overdo it.

Lobster September 5th 04 11:14 PM

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message news:60b267a7ef84b2b4931c7e4f69eceac1.45219@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"neil leslie" wrote in message

When preparing wood for painting [I'm about to do my floorboards] I've
been told to use a knot sealer. What is this for?

Its a resin like shellac that is impervious to resin that will bleed out
of the knots. You just dab a thin coat on the actual knot. 5 minutes
that's it. Don't overdo it.

And if you've got a manky knot which is going to need filling and
sanding prior to painting, when's the best/appropriate time to apply
the knotting? Every time I have to do it I ask myself the question...

David

The Natural Philosopher September 6th 04 09:34 AM

Lobster wrote:

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message news:60b267a7ef84b2b4931c7e4f69eceac1.45219@mygat e.mailgate.org...

"neil leslie" wrote in message

When preparing wood for painting [I'm about to do my floorboards] I've
been told to use a knot sealer. What is this for?

Its a resin like shellac that is impervious to resin that will bleed out
of the knots. You just dab a thin coat on the actual knot. 5 minutes
that's it. Don't overdo it.

And if you've got a manky knot which is going to need filling and
sanding prior to painting, when's the best/appropriate time to apply
the knotting? Every time I have to do it I ask myself the question...

I sand first, knot, fill and then sand again. If any knot is revealed
then knot again and sand.

Then prime and sand, undercoat and sand, top and sand and top....

David

Christian McArdle September 6th 04 11:16 AM

When preparing wood for painting [I'm about to do my floorboards] I've
been told to use a knot sealer. What is this for?

It is basically shellac. It prevents the sap like stuff penetrating through
your nice new paint and leaving obvious brown circles. It would be
especially apparent on new wood.

Christian.

Broadback September 6th 04 05:17 PM

Christian McArdle wrote:

When preparing wood for painting [I'm about to do my floorboards] I've
been told to use a knot sealer. What is this for?

It is basically shellac. It prevents the sap like stuff penetrating through
your nice new paint and leaving obvious brown circles. It would be
especially apparent on new wood.

Christian.

The accent here is especially, as I have had 40 year old wood "bleed"
through when not knotted! :-(

--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.