Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default power goes off

Last two times I have came to the static van the power has been
cut....the internal off on switch with rcds is on but the rcd in the
external meter box has been tripped.....when we leave the only thing we
leave on is the fridge everything else is switched off.....I'm thinking
that the farmer has cut the grass around the van when we are not here
and I was wondering if the splatter of wet grass against the plug and
socket could be causing the external rcd to trip ?....or is it the fridge?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2020 15:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Last two times I have came to the static van the power has been
cut....the internal off on switch with rcds is on but the rcd in the
external meter box has been tripped.....when we leave the only thing we
leave on is the fridge everything else is switched off.....I'm thinking
that the farmer has cut the grass around the van when we are not here
and I was wondering if the splatter of wet grass against the plug and
socket could be causing the external rcd to trip ?....or is it the fridge?

Unlikely to be a spurious trip on two seperate ocassions, sounds like
the fridge to me BICBW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2020 16:00, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
On 31/08/2020 15:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Last two times I have came to the static van the power has been
cut....the internal off on switch with rcds is on but the rcd in the
external meter box has been tripped.....when we leave the only thing
we leave on is the fridge everything else is switched off.....I'm
thinking that the farmer has cut the grass around the van when we are
not here and I was wondering if the splatter of wet grass against the
plug and socket could be causing the external rcd to trip ?....or is
it the fridge?

Unlikely to be a spurious trip on two seperate ocassions, sounds like
the fridge to me BICBW

NEVER HAPPENS WHEN WE ARE HERE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2020 16:23, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 31/08/2020 16:00, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
On 31/08/2020 15:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Last two times I have came to the static van the power has been
cut....the internal off on switch with rcds is on but the rcd in the
external meter box has been tripped.....when we leave the only thing
we leave on is the fridge everything else is switched off.....I'm
thinking that the farmer has cut the grass around the van when we are
not here and I was wondering if the splatter of wet grass against the
plug and socket could be causing the external rcd to trip ?....or is
it the fridge?

Unlikely to be a spurious trip on two seperate ocassions, sounds like
the fridge to me BICBW

NEVER HAPPENS WHEN WE ARE HERE

OK. Get the farmer to cut the grass when you're there and see what
happens. Better still chuck all manner of wet stuff on the plug and socket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 15:24:25 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

... I was wondering if the splatter of wet grass against the plug and
socket could be causing the external rcd to trip ?

Presumably all the extrenal plugs and sockets are the 16 A or 32 A
round CEE things not an ordinary 13 A plug and socket and that
everything has a proper cover on the meter post.

A bit of wet grass splatter shouldn't worry a fully mated CEE plug
and socket.

And when you say every thing is switched off is that on their
switches/unplugged or all the MCBs in the CU apart from the one
feeding circuit the fridge is on.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2020 16:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 15:24:25 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

... I was wondering if the splatter of wet grass against the plug and
socket could be causing the external rcd to trip ?

Presumably all the external plugs and sockets are the 16 A or 32 A
round CEE things not an ordinary 13 A plug and socket and that
everything has a proper cover on the meter post.

yip

A bit of wet grass splatter shouldn't worry a fully mated CEE plug
and socket.

And when you say every thing is switched off is that on their
switches/unplugged or all the MCBs in the CU apart from the one
feeding circuit the fridge is on.

yip...anyway I took off the cover again and reset the rcd...this time I
unplugged the blue plug and sprayed everything in wd40...I can but hope....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 17:02:34 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

yip...anyway I took off the cover again and reset the rcd...this time I
unplugged the blue plug and sprayed everything in wd40...

Good lord that must be a first, some one using WD40 for what it's
supposed to be used for!

Wonder if farmer is is unplugging the lead to move it out of the way
when mowing then putting it back in? I wouldn't expect a 30 mA RCD to
trip due to cable capacitance on it's own but is stuff in the van is
still plugged in all the filter capacitors will still be across N &
E.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2020 17:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 17:02:34 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

yip...anyway I took off the cover again and reset the rcd...this time I
unplugged the blue plug and sprayed everything in wd40...

Good lord that must be a first, some one using WD40 for what it's
supposed to be used for!

Wonder if farmer is is unplugging the lead to move it out of the way
when mowing then putting it back in? I wouldn't expect a 30 mA RCD to
trip due to cable capacitance on it's own but is stuff in the van is
still plugged in all the filter capacitors will still be across N &
E.

nah don't think so...and why are the RCDs at the consumer unit not
triggered ? ......well I use wd40 for everything so just luck that I was
using it for its intended use..and he obviously mowed around the meter
box but I notice he hit the plastic box with the washing machine in it
and no we use an extension cable for that but it has water feed and
drainage,,,,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

&
E.

nah don't think so...and why are the RCDs at the consumer unit not
triggered ?

They are further upstream. Won't see the inrush do to cable
capacitance from meter box to CU. Will only see the filter
capacitance of devices on their circuit. May be less sensitive (even
if the same nominal rating).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2020 19:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 19:09:39 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Wonder if farmer is is unplugging the lead to move it out of the

way
when mowing then putting it back in? I wouldn't expect a 30 mA RCD

trip due to cable capacitance on it's own but is stuff in the van

is
still plugged in all the filter capacitors will still be across N

&
E.

nah don't think so...and why are the RCDs at the consumer unit not
triggered ?

They are further upstream. Won't see the inrush do to cable
capacitance from meter box to CU. Will only see the filter
capacitance of devices on their circuit. May be less sensitive (even
if the same nominal rating).

so it shouldn't be the fridge or anything in the van then? ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 31 August 2020 15:24:25 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Last two times I have came to the static van the power has been
cut....the internal off on switch with rcds is on but the rcd in the
external meter box has been tripped.....when we leave the only thing we
leave on is the fridge everything else is switched off.....I'm thinking
that the farmer has cut the grass around the van when we are not here
and I was wondering if the splatter of wet grass against the plug and
socket could be causing the external rcd to trip ?....or is it the fridge?

The only way to answer that is to test everything for earth leakage. If you don't want the expense of a megger, there are 2 cheap options
1. a multimeter sometimes detects failing insulation
2. You can also make a tester using just Rs & a neon.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 19:44:57 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Wonder if farmer is is unplugging the lead to move it out of the
way when mowing then putting it back in? I wouldn't expect a 30

mA
RCD to trip due to cable capacitance on it's own but is stuff in

the
van is still plugged in all the filter capacitors will still be
across N & E.

nah don't think so...and why are the RCDs at the consumer unit

not
triggered ?

They are further upstream. Won't see the inrush do to cable
capacitance from meter box to CU. Will only see the filter
capacitance of devices on their circuit. May be less sensitive

(even
if the same nominal rating).

so it shouldn't be the fridge or anything in the van then? ....

Wouldn't like to say.It could be leakage anywhere upstream of a given
RCD that pushes it over the edge.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
Last two times I have came to the static van the power has been
cut....the internal off on switch with rcds is on but the rcd in the
external meter box has been tripped.....when we leave the only thing we
leave on is the fridge everything else is switched off.....I'm thinking
that the farmer has cut the grass around the van when we are not here
and I was wondering if the splatter of wet grass against the plug and
socket could be causing the external rcd to trip ?....or is it the fridge?

If the RCD is of the non-latching type, then a power cut or short
glitch would require someone to reset it. Look up the make and
model for the spec.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2020 15:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Last two times I have came to the static van the power has been
cut....the internal off on switch with rcds is on but the rcd in the
external meter box has been tripped.....when we leave the only thing we
leave on is the fridge everything else is switched off.....I'm thinking
that the farmer has cut the grass around the van when we are not here
and I was wondering if the splatter of wet grass against the plug and
socket could be causing the external rcd to trip ?....or is it the fridge?

I would guess the fridge, just had the same thing happen to my freezer
(house), apparently its a fairly regular occurance judging by the amount
of chatter online about it.