DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   TV Licence - auto renew? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/679441-tv-licence-auto-renew.html)

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] August 29th 20 06:06 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

Not sure about this, but....

I don't remember renewing my licence this year. I got what I thought
was a renewal reminder in the post some weeks ago and knowing when it
was due (1st Sept), I left it unopened until today to open it and renew
it, except....

It's not a reminder, rather it is a Payment Plan, suggesting they will
just take the annual payment. In other words they just help themselves
to your money, which I don't ever remember giving them permission to
do.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) August 29th 20 07:03 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

Ring them up then.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

charles August 29th 20 07:10 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Not sure about this, but....

I don't remember renewing my licence this year. I got what I thought
was a renewal reminder in the post some weeks ago and knowing when it
was due (1st Sept), I left it unopened until today to open it and renew
it, except....

It's not a reminder, rather it is a Payment Plan, suggesting they will
just take the annual payment. In other words they just help themselves
to your money, which I don't ever remember giving them permission to
do.

Thatb whatb the form is for: asking you to pay this way. By returning it
you give permission.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] August 29th 20 07:35 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

charles brought next idea :
Thatb whatb the form is for: asking you to pay this way. By returning it
you give permission.

No, it takes the form of a statement that they WILL take the annual
payment within 3 days of the 1st Sept., and the account details from
which they intend to take it. I don't recall ever having given them
permission to auto-renew my TV licence.

It does ask that I update my bank account details, if they are not
current.

Roger Hayter[_2_] August 29th 20 08:13 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

On 29 Aug 2020 at 19:35:49 BST, "Harry Bloomfield, Esq."
wrote:

charles brought next idea :
Thatb whatb the form is for: asking you to pay this way. By returning it
you give permission.

No, it takes the form of a statement that they WILL take the annual
payment within 3 days of the 1st Sept., and the account details from
which they intend to take it. I don't recall ever having given them
permission to auto-renew my TV licence.

It does ask that I update my bank account details, if they are not
current.

I think if you grant them a direct debit then the small print says you agree
to auto-renew. I remember noticing that at the time I gave them my account
details.

--
Roger Hayter

RayL12 August 29th 20 09:34 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

On 29/08/2020 19:03, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Ring them up then.
Brian

Instruct the bank to deny any order except those you set up.

williamwright August 29th 20 09:46 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

On 29/08/2020 20:13, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 29 Aug 2020 at 19:35:49 BST, "Harry Bloomfield, Esq."
wrote:

charles brought next idea :
Thatb whatb the form is for: asking you to pay this way. By returning it
you give permission.

No, it takes the form of a statement that they WILL take the annual
payment within 3 days of the 1st Sept., and the account details from
which they intend to take it. I don't recall ever having given them
permission to auto-renew my TV licence.

It does ask that I update my bank account details, if they are not
current.

I think if you grant them a direct debit then the small print says you agree
to auto-renew. I remember noticing that at the time I gave them my account
details.

Well I've been watching Quest all evening. Far better than anything on
the BBC. The licence is a rip-off as far as I'm concerned.

Bill

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] August 29th 20 09:56 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

williamwright was thinking very hard :
Well I've been watching Quest all evening. Far better than anything on the
BBC. The licence is a rip-off as far as I'm concerned.

I tend to agree!

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] August 29th 20 09:57 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

Roger Hayter has brought this to us :
I think if you grant them a direct debit then the small print says you agree
to auto-renew. I remember noticing that at the time I gave them my account
details.

This is the first time it has tried to auto-renew and I have always
paid by card.

Max Demian August 29th 20 10:54 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

On 29/08/2020 21:57, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Roger Hayter has brought this to us :
I think if you grant them a direct debit then the small print says you
agree
to auto-renew.* I remember noticing that at the time I gave them my
account
details.

This is the first time it has tried to auto-renew and I have always paid
by card.

Credit or debit? I don't see how they can take money by DD if they don't
have your bank details. (I always pay by credit card.)

--
Max Demian

Cursitor Doom[_4_] August 29th 20 11:32 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 21:34:39 +0100, RayL12
wrote:

On 29/08/2020 19:03, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Ring them up then.
Brian

Instruct the bank to deny any order except those you set up.

That *should* be the default situation. You shouldn't have to tell
them!

RayL12 August 30th 20 07:29 AM

TV Licence - auto renew?

wrote:

On 29/08/2020 19:03, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Ring them up then.
Brian

Instruct the bank to deny any order except those you set up.

That *should* be the default situation. You shouldn't have to tell
them!

Then there is nothing to be concerned about?

Dave Liquorice[_2_] August 30th 20 09:22 AM

TV Licence - auto renew?

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 22:54:02 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

I think if you grant them a direct debit then the small print

says you
agree to auto-renew.á I remember noticing that at the time I gave

them
my account details.

That would be my guess as well or a double negative tick box to agree
not to authorise auto renewal.

This is the first time it has tried to auto-renew and I have

always
paid by card.

Credit or debit? I don't see how they can take money by DD if they don't
have your bank details. (I always pay by credit card.)

It is possible for merchants to setup up regular payments from credit
cards but it's not very common.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] August 30th 20 09:28 AM

TV Licence - auto renew?

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 23:32:00 +0100, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Instruct the bank to deny any order except those you set up.

That *should* be the default situation. You shouldn't have to tell them!

Didn't think you could set up direcct debits. You inform the merchant
they can take payment by DD and they contact your bank to set it up.
The bank should then write to you giving details of the new DD and
asking if this is OK? The default answer being yes. Talk to Mr Jeremy
Clarkson...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] August 30th 20 09:52 AM

TV Licence - auto renew?

Max Demian expressed precisely :
Credit or debit? I don't see how they can take money by DD if they don't have
your bank details. (I always pay by credit card.)

I had to check the sort code on the letter, to find the bank. They will
take it from my TSB debit account. I will ring TV licensing in the
morning.

My car insurers started using the auto-renew a few years ago, without
my consent. I made it clear that if they didn't stop it immediately
they had lost me as a customer. They have never tried it on since.

I'm quite happy paying the regular auto-payments each month for gas,
electric, phone, council tax and water - I have agreed to those and
expect them, but not these large annual sums.

Robin August 30th 20 09:59 AM

TV Licence - auto renew?

On 30/08/2020 09:28, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 23:32:00 +0100, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Instruct the bank to deny any order except those you set up.

That *should* be the default situation. You shouldn't have to tell them!

Didn't think you could set up direcct debits. You inform the merchant
they can take payment by DD and they contact your bank to set it up.
The bank should then write to you giving details of the new DD and
asking if this is OK? The default answer being yes. Talk to Mr Jeremy
Clarkson...

It may vary but with my accounts for a long time now it has been the
/merchant/, not the bank, who confirms that a mandate has been set up
(by email or post) - often along with the notification of the first payment.

--
Robin

Davidm August 30th 20 10:31 AM

TV Licence - auto renew?

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 09:52:12 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Max Demian expressed precisely :
Credit or debit? I don't see how they can take money by DD if they don't have
your bank details. (I always pay by credit card.)

I had to check the sort code on the letter, to find the bank. They will
take it from my TSB debit account. I will ring TV licensing in the
morning.

My car insurers started using the auto-renew a few years ago, without
my consent. I made it clear that if they didn't stop it immediately
they had lost me as a customer. They have never tried it on since.

I'm quite happy paying the regular auto-payments each month for gas,
electric, phone, council tax and water - I have agreed to those and
expect them, but not these large annual sums.

If you sign in (uses licence number, surname and postcode) you should
be able to see, and change, how they think you are paying.
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/update/your-licence

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] August 30th 20 11:04 AM

TV Licence - auto renew?

Davidm explained on 30/08/2020 :
If you sign in (uses licence number, surname and postcode) you should
be able to see, and change, how they think you are paying.
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/update/your-licence

I would rather ring them up and complain, but I have just realised its
a bank holiday tomorrow, so no one answering.

Andy Burns[_13_] August 30th 20 01:00 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Instruct the bank to deny any order except those you set up.

That *should* be the default situation. You shouldn't have to tell them!

Indeed.

You inform the merchant they can take payment by DD and they contact
your bank to set it up. The bank should then write to you giving
details of the new DD and asking if this is OK?

Most companies setting up D/D now get you to agree online, they pass
this to the bank, and the bank accepts that without writing to you.

bert[_7_] September 2nd 20 07:47 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 22:54:02 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

I think if you grant them a direct debit then the small print

says you
agree to auto-renew.á I remember noticing that at the time I gave

them
my account details.

That would be my guess as well or a double negative tick box to agree
not to authorise auto renewal.

This is the first time it has tried to auto-renew and I have

always
paid by card.

Credit or debit? I don't see how they can take money by DD if they don't
have your bank details. (I always pay by credit card.)

It is possible for merchants to setup up regular payments from credit
cards but it's not very common.

--
Cheers
Dave.

It is fairly common - but to be avoided. Not as easy to stop s a DD on
your bank account. Continuous Payment Authority.
--
bert

Roger Hayter[_2_] September 2nd 20 08:39 PM

TV Licence - auto renew?

On 2 Sep 2020 at 19:47:31 BST, "bert" wrote:

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

They used to be harder to stop, but now the card companies will stop them with
no questions asked, so they are just as easy to stop as direct debits. And
they cannot be originated by the company as easily as DDs I think. The only
remaining disadvantage is that you have to pay interest if you don't pay off
your credit card in full every month.

--
Roger Hayter