Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Free rusted metal

On Monday, 14 September 2020 14:21:53 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes
On Monday, 14 September 2020 00:27:51 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/09/2020 22:32, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 16:41:23 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 12 September 2020 08:26:00 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:

Although 'WD' does indeed stand for 'water dispersion', it does about
ten additional things. It might not do them as well as something
specifically designed to do some of these things, but it does do them.

poorly and overpricedly at best.

Indeed. The only thing it really excels at is as a cutting fluid for
turning aluminium on a lathe.

It seem fashionable to moan about WD40, and yet I suspect we all keep
cans of it about.

Yes there are things that will do each job better, but often you just
need good enough.

(also worth remembering that these days the name represents a range of
products, including things like a spray white lithium grease, penetrant,
PTFE lubricant, silicone grease etc)

It's more fashionable to say it's great. The idea that it has numerous
uses has really caught on. Trouble is it fails so much of the time.
People seem to have unrealistic expectations of what is a poor product
outside of its original purpose of water displacement from vehicle
ignition systems.

If you only ever buy one liquid product for diy jobs, make it oil. Oils
can lubricate, free up rust to a varying extent, prevent rust etc. Baby
oil is typically cheapest, ATF is generally best. I'm saying nothing
about the ethics of baby oil!

When fitting a new water pump, I once used Savlon and some cornflakes
packet as an emergency alternative to Hermetite and an asbestos gasket.
Does that count?

Card is the classic bodgit & leggit gasket.

Polypropylene rope also works well in lieu of PTFE tape or hemp.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2020 02:57:17, wrote:
[...]

Maybe it is, but it's a very effective gasket material. Never had a problem.