Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Real DIY question - soil pipe adaptor

I have a steel pipe with an OD or 115mm, just large enough so I can't
fit a double socket:
https://www.toolstation.com/coupling-110mm/p17218

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

I am considering heating up the pipe so the ABS will creep and expand to
fit. Since this is a soil pipe I don't want any constriction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* https://www.toolstation.com/coupling-110mm/p17218

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

I am considering heating up the pipe so the ABS will creep and expand to
fit. Since this is a soil pipe I don't want any constriction.

Removed rubber seals. Probably only need to remove the one.

Heated the fitting. The ring that hold the seal came off, it only snaps
into position.

After second attempt at fitting the fitting where I was able to hammer
on up to the mid-point stop. I'm pretty sure as the ABS cools and
shrinks that is going to be a good water tight fit, even without the
lower rubber seal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 17:27, Fredxx wrote:
On 27/08/2020 17:00:02, Fredxx wrote:
I have a steel pipe with an OD or 115mm, just large enough so I can't
fit a double socket:
https://www.toolstation.com/coupling-110mm/p17218

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

I am considering heating up the pipe so the ABS will creep and expand
to fit. Since this is a soil pipe I don't want any constriction.

Removed rubber seals. Probably only need to remove the one.

Heated the fitting. The ring that hold the seal came off, it only snaps
into position.

After second attempt at fitting the fitting where I was able to hammer
on up to the mid-point stop. I'm pretty sure as the ABS cools and
shrinks that is going to be a good water tight fit, even without the
lower rubber seal.

The usual solution is to use something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Ad.../dp/B00KTEA7P0

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Screwfix sell something that will do what you want, I used one to do something similar.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-...or-110mm/19914

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 17:00, Fredxx wrote:
I have a steel pipe with an OD or 115mm, just large enough so I can't
fit a double socket:
Â* https://www.toolstation.com/coupling-110mm/p17218

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

I am considering heating up the pipe so the ABS will creep and expand to
fit. Since this is a soil pipe I don't want any constriction.

is that an old steam pipe ? ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 12:05:52 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky wrote:

Screwfix sell something that will do what you want, I used one to do something similar.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-...or-110mm/19914

Richard

Might be worth checking that underground pipe is OK in sunlight long term.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 18:26:15, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

While I am sure these are fine they look a bit of a bodge and short term.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â* https://www.toolstation.com/coupling-110mm/p17218

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

I am considering heating up the pipe so the ABS will creep and expand
to fit. Since this is a soil pipe I don't want any constriction.

is that an old steam pipe ? ...

No, it is the original soil pipe made from steel.

I can only presume at the time it was considered cheaper than PVC and
cast iron. One section was perforated but the rest appears in good
condition.