Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED Flood Light Failure

10 W LED flood light has gone remarkably dim. Used it the night
before last and it was dim but just about gave enough light to avoid
falling over the cars putting the rubbish out. Last night next to
useless.

I'd expect failure modes of mains LED devices to be of the it works
or it doesn't variety rather than just dim. It takes a while to start
(there always was a very short delay) and slowly fades out when
switched off. High resistance between the PSU and LED module?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2020 16:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
10 W LED flood light has gone remarkably dim. Used it the night
before last and it was dim but just about gave enough light to avoid
falling over the cars putting the rubbish out. Last night next to
useless.

I'd expect failure modes of mains LED devices to be of the it works
or it doesn't variety rather than just dim. It takes a while to start

I had a few filament style GLS LEDs that slowly got dimmer and dimmer
over time.

(there always was a very short delay) and slowly fades out when
switched off. High resistance between the PSU and LED module?

Or dodgy cap in the PSU..

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 20:19:57 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

10 W LED flood light has gone remarkably dim. Used it the night
before last and it was dim but just about gave enough light to

avoid
falling over the cars putting the rubbish out. Last night next to
useless.

I had a few filament style GLS LEDs that slowly got dimmer and dimmer
over time.

This was sudden, It's not used much pretty well only to put the
rubbish/recycling out once a fortnight. It was fine two weeks ago...

High resistance between the PSU and LED module?

Or dodgy cap in the PSU..

Got it down, considering it's been up ten+ years the lamp itself is
in preety good nick. Same can't be said for the bit of bent mild
steel bracket or the steel bolts fixing lamp to bracket.

Took the back cover off, all nice, clean, dry no sign of corrosion or
damp anywhere. Took glass off, again all clean and dry no obvious
problems. Fit plug to flying lead, switch on, dim, PSU had it's
output voltage on it so got probes of meter to see what it was
outputing. Prod probe onto one of the LED module connections and POW
blinded... Trying to shield eyes from the module but still be able to
see the connections a couple of mm away from the light source was
fun. The -ve one seemed a bit iffy, reflowed both (despite spots
before the eys), better but not 100% solid. I think there must be a
dodgey connection within the LED module. It works for now and it'll

Putting it back will require a bit of improvisation as the corroded
bolts have expanded and cracked the thin diecast bit of the lamp that
they are threaded into. One side fell away as I was undoing the bolt
and there's not a lot holding the otherside.

Pity they didn't use stainless bolts and ali for the bracket. All the
cover screws are stainless.

Anyone recomend an IP65 10 W LED flood, preferably dark skies
friendly, that doesn't have a mild steel bracket or bolts?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 August 2020 22:47:26 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

LED lamps are mostly either a string of separate LEDs or a single COB unit (yes there are others like filament LEDs). If separate LEDs I'd short each LED one at a time to see which faulty one was causing the problem, and leave the badun shorted. If none fix it, the problem is elsewhere. Be warned the LEDs are sometimes connected to live! And if one LED looks different to the others, don't short that one! It's likely the current limiter.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2020 22:47, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Anyone recomend an IP65 10 W LED flood, preferably dark skies
friendly, that doesn't have a mild steel bracket or bolts?

I used the 30w version of one of these recently:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTQSF10WW.html

Seems pretty good - ali case, but the bracket is steel. Bolts etc were
galvanised.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2020 16:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
10 W LED flood light has gone remarkably dim. Used it the night
before last and it was dim but just about gave enough light to avoid
falling over the cars putting the rubbish out. Last night next to
useless.

I'd expect failure modes of mains LED devices to be of the it works
or it doesn't variety rather than just dim. It takes a while to start
(there always was a very short delay) and slowly fades out when
switched off. High resistance between the PSU and LED module?

every chinky floodlight I have bought has failed went back to the
conventional 500w jobs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 26/08/2020 16:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
10 W LED flood light has gone remarkably dim. Used it the night
before last and it was dim but just about gave enough light to avoid
falling over the cars putting the rubbish out. Last night next to
useless.

I'd expect failure modes of mains LED devices to be of the it works
or it doesn't variety rather than just dim. It takes a while to start
(there always was a very short delay) and slowly fades out when
switched off. High resistance between the PSU and LED module?

every chinky floodlight I have bought has failed went back to the
conventional 500w jobs

I changed to LEDs because the tungsten ones had a very short life. Not
regretting it at all. Units were bought from TLC. Perhaps if you weren't
so tight and bought decent quality ones, they'd have lasted? However, I
didn't expect to find or even look for ones which were a 500W equivalent.

--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It might have been ok if it had been plated or even painted instead of the
usual let it see the nozzle of a spray can type we get these days on
brackets and bolts.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please