Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default usb storage device for LG TV.

Still struggling to replace the switching transistor for the aerial
input feeds on my Toppy:-( Surface mount in a limited access space.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2020 11:31:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Still struggling to replace the switching transistor for the aerial
input feeds on my Toppy:-(Â* Surface mount in a limited access space.

Can you cut the legs with a small pair of cutters?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Still struggling to replace the switching transistor for the aerial
input feeds on my Toppy:-( Surface mount in a limited access space.

Oops. Posted before finished!

My hard drive is nearly full anyway so mostly I am just re-watching
recorded stuff.

Pressing the record button on my TV remote tells me I need to install a
usb storage device.

Any recommendations/advice?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:42:38 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Still struggling to replace the switching transistor for the aerial
input feeds on my Toppy:-( Surface mount in a limited access space.

Oops. Posted before finished!

My hard drive is nearly full anyway so mostly I am just re-watching
recorded stuff.

Pressing the record button on my TV remote tells me I need to install a
usb storage device.

Any recommendations/advice?

We have a cheap and cheerful:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mymemory-...ive-black.html

It sits in an empty tissue box as the flashing LED was annoying.

Works fine and I've dumped loads of photos, music and videos on it as
well.

Note - you can only record the program you are watching - your TV
doesn't have dual tuners I assume.

You can't watch the recordings on any other TV, even an identical LG.

What we use it a lot for is pause, rewind etc. Fortunately our Toppy
is still working.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL formulated the question :
Note - you can only record the program you are watching - your TV
doesn't have dual tuners I assume.

Or record when the set is otherwise off. I was a bit dissapointed by
that lack of a second tuner, I wonder if you can record from sat,
whilst watching Freeview? I never tested that possibility yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

you can only record the program you are watching

possibly you can record other programmes on the same mux as the one
you're watching.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , AnthonyL
writes
On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:42:38 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Tim Lamb
writes

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mymemory-...-hard-drive-bl
ack.html

It sits in an empty tissue box as the flashing LED was annoying.

:-)

Works fine and I've dumped loads of photos, music and videos on it as
well.

Note - you can only record the program you are watching - your TV
doesn't have dual tuners I assume.

I was expecting that but needing to leave the TV switched on is a
drawback.

You can't watch the recordings on any other TV, even an identical LG.

OK

What we use it a lot for is pause, rewind etc. Fortunately our Toppy
is still working.

I'm a bit nervous of getting the transistor changed as the fault
coincided with the masthead amplifier issue.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:42:38 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Still struggling to replace the switching transistor for the aerial
input feeds on my Toppy:-( Surface mount in a limited access space.

Oops. Posted before finished!

My hard drive is nearly full anyway so mostly I am just re-watching
recorded stuff.

Sorry mate, we just haven't been out in the car since we last spoke
and certainly not that far / direction. ;-(

If there was a day that looked like it wasn't going to rain and I
bought my gear and folding table, I'd just need an extension lead in
your back garden and the Toppy for a socially distanced repair. ;-(

snip

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Is this what it looks like?:

https://tonyspage.abock.de/topfieldpics/topfieldQ14.jpg
https://tonyspage.abock.de/topfieldp...eldQ14crop.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2020 11:42, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Still struggling to replace the switching transistor for the aerial
input feeds on my Toppy:-(Â* Surface mount in a limited access space.

Oops. Posted before finished!

My hard drive is nearly full anyway so mostly I am just re-watching
recorded stuff.

Pressing the record button on my TV remote tells me I need to install a
usb storage device.

Any recommendations/advice?

Any memory stick will allow you to record/replay. A HDD is needed if you
want to record/pause the current program.

We have a 64Gb memory stick. It fills up but if we haven't watched it by
then it gets deleted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb expressed precisely :
I was expecting that but needing to leave the TV switched on is a drawback.

The LG only needs to be on standby, at the appropriate time it will
switch just the tuner on and record the program - or at least my LG
does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How come the thread is called storage device but the message is about a
topfield box.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Still struggling to replace the switching transistor for the aerial input
feeds on my Toppy:-( Surface mount in a limited access space.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2020 13:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , AnthonyL
writes
On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:42:38 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Still struggling to replace the switching transistor for the aerial
input feeds on my Toppy:-(Â* Surface mount in a limited access space.

Oops. Posted before finished!

My hard drive is nearly full anyway so mostly I am just re-watching
recorded stuff.

Pressing the record button on my TV remote tells me I need to install a
usb storage device.

Any recommendations/advice?

We have a cheap and cheerful:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mymemory-...-hard-drive-bl
ack.html

It sits in an empty tissue box as the flashing LED was annoying.

:-)

Also beware if you use a spinning rust HDD on a TV in a bedroom - they
have a habit of waking up at various times and that will spin up the HDD
for a few mins and then shutdown, which can be loud enough to be
distracting in a quiet room.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 26/08/2020 13:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , AnthonyL
writes
On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:42:38 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
[...]

Can't say I've noticed that with my desk top. Mind, my hearing is not
100%.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:42:38 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Still struggling to replace the switching transistor for the aerial
input feeds on my Toppy:-( Surface mount in a limited access space.

Oops. Posted before finished!

My hard drive is nearly full anyway so mostly I am just re-watching
recorded stuff.

Sorry mate, we just haven't been out in the car since we last spoke
and certainly not that far / direction. ;-(

If there was a day that looked like it wasn't going to rain and I
bought my gear and folding table, I'd just need an extension lead in
your back garden and the Toppy for a socially distanced repair. ;-(

snip

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Is this what it looks like?:

https://tonyspage.abock.de/topfieldpics/topfieldQ14.jpg
https://tonyspage.abock.de/topfieldp...eldQ14crop.jpg

This wasn't a complaint! My only experience of delicate outdoor
soldering was on top of a London high rise office block. The window
cleaner's platform hoist had lost an a/c switch. The pre-thermostatic
soldering iron kept cooling off in the breeze:-(

Q14 is the kiddy. I also bought some 2N4404 as they come with legs but,
even sharpened to a point, my tackle is too clumsy.

You could be as distant as you like in the old garage:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
How come the thread is called storage device but the message is about a
topfield box.

You need the second attempt for the rest of the story.

--
Tim Lamb