DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stainless Steel Sink (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/679260-stainless-steel-sink.html)

JohnP August 25th 20 12:42 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

Any recommended way of smartening up a scatched sink?

Radio Man August 25th 20 01:11 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

JohnP wrote:
Any recommended way of smartening up a scatched sink?

We rented a place with a naff SS sink when first married. I cleaned it with
fine wire wool and chrome polish, followed by Brillo Pads and washing up
liquid. This gave a fairly even Matt finish which was clean and stain free.
It took a couple of hours but looked pretty good.

I suspect any deep scratches may need some wet and dry paper.

The washing up liquid acts as a lubrication and reduces the €˜cut of the
wire wool or wet and dry.

Jimk August 25th 20 02:22 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

JohnP Wrote in message:
Any recommended way of smartening up a scatched sink?

Angle grinder.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thomas Prufer August 25th 20 06:37 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 11:42:31 GMT, JohnP wrote:

Any recommended way of smartening up a scatched sink?

Rubber abrasive block, like an eraser but with an harsher abrasive embedded.
Polibloc or a similar name... Rub in one direction, to produce parallel
scratches.

Fair bit of work, but easy to stop and resume.

Thomas Prufer

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) August 26th 20 11:12 AM

Stainless Steel Sink

I just knew somebody would say that. Also stainless seems often to be a bit
of misnomer. Ours may or may not be stainless but I can attach a fridge
magnet to it,yet others I can't so its some kind of alloy. and it seems to
be stained by tea.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...

JohnP August 26th 20 12:07 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

JohnP Wrote in message:
Any recommended way of smartening up a scatched sink?

Angle grinder.

What type of wheel do you suggest?

Thomas Prufer August 26th 20 01:14 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:07:28 GMT, JohnP wrote:

What type of wheel do you suggest?

While the reply may have been meant tongue-in-cheek, there *are* some discs:
"Flap Felt Disc Metal Polishing Angle Grinder Buffing Wheel Polishers" will
work, using a suitable buffing compound. Or "Nylon Fiber Polishing Wheel Sanding
Buffing Disc Abrasive Wheels for Angle Grinders", as a first go if it's badly
scuffed.

(both found on leftpondian Amazon, .co.uk availability left as an exercise for
the reader...)

Beware that buffing wheels pretend to be benign and harmless, but can snatch
violently. A firm hand and cautious eye, and the sink will be buffed to a mirror
finish (and then will show every tiniest spot of limescale, YHBW.)

Thomas Prufer

jon August 26th 20 04:36 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:12:12 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

I just knew somebody would say that. Also stainless seems often to be a
bit of misnomer. Ours may or may not be stainless but I can attach a
fridge magnet to it,yet others I can't so its some kind of alloy. and it
seems to be stained by tea.
Brian

Stainless steel is an alloy, also some stainless grades are non magnetic
as used on submarines.

JohnP August 26th 20 05:10 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

Thomas Prufer wrote in
:

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 11:42:31 GMT, JohnP wrote:

Any recommended way of smartening up a scatched sink?

Rubber abrasive block, like an eraser but with an harsher abrasive
embedded. Polibloc or a similar name... Rub in one direction, to
produce parallel scratches.

Fair bit of work, but easy to stop and resume.

Thomas Prufer

I like the sound of that rubber abrasive block - as a tool for occassional
use.

F Murtz August 27th 20 05:55 AM

Stainless Steel Sink

On 26/8/20 8:12 pm, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I just knew somebody would say that.

angle grinder with a buff and buffing compound would work.

Thomas Prufer August 27th 20 12:03 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 16:10:58 GMT, JohnP wrote:

I like the sound of that rubber abrasive block - as a tool for occassional
use.

https://www.klingspor.co.uk/products...asives/sfk-655

I'd expect a coarser block (120 grit, maybe?) to do a sink in under an hour,
depending on how picky you are about getting it even in all the corners and
bits...

Thomas Prufer

Vir Campestris August 27th 20 09:34 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

On 26/08/2020 11:12, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I just knew somebody would say that. Also stainless seems often to be a bit
of misnomer. Ours may or may not be stainless but I can attach a fridge
magnet to it,yet others I can't so its some kind of alloy. and it seems to
be stained by tea.

Stainless _is_ a misnomer. The French call it inoxydable which as you
may guess means won't oxidise or rustless. Which is closer, but not
entirely true.

Andy

Chris J Dixon August 27th 20 09:41 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

I just knew somebody would say that. Also stainless seems often to be a bit
of misnomer. Ours may or may not be stainless but I can attach a fridge
magnet to it,yet others I can't so its some kind of alloy. and it seems to
be stained by tea.

Not really a misnomer - it stains less than mild steel. Leave a
Brillo pad on it, however, and you will soon see rust marks.

Some SS is magnetic, some is not.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Jimk August 27th 20 10:22 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

JohnP Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

JohnP Wrote in message:
Any recommended way of smartening up a scatched sink?

Angle grinder.

What type of wheel do you suggest?

Abrasive?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

polygonum_on_google[_2_] August 28th 20 03:42 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

On Tuesday, 25 August 2020 12:42:33 UTC+1, JohnP wrote:
Any recommended way of smartening up a scatched sink?

Once you get it to a decent state, a foamed melamine "eraser" block can help keep it looking good.

bilou[_2_] August 28th 20 04:58 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

On 27/08/2020 22:34, Vir Campestris wrote:
Stainless _is_ a misnomer. The French call it inoxydable which as you
may guess means won't oxidise or rustless. Which is closer, but not
entirely true.

In short we call it inox.
I once came across a big SS screw that was magnetic at one side but not
at the other.

JohnP August 28th 20 06:19 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

I just knew somebody would say that. Also stainless seems often to be
a bit of misnomer. Ours may or may not be stainless but I can attach a
fridge magnet to it,yet others I can't so its some kind of alloy. and
it seems to be stained by tea.

Not really a misnomer - it stains less than mild steel. Leave a
Brillo pad on it, however, and you will soon see rust marks.

Some SS is magnetic, some is not.

Chris

Austenitic and non-austenitic grades

NY[_2_] August 28th 20 07:29 PM

Stainless Steel Sink

"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

I just knew somebody would say that. Also stainless seems often to be
a bit of misnomer. Ours may or may not be stainless but I can attach a
fridge magnet to it,yet others I can't so its some kind of alloy. and
it seems to be stained by tea.

Not really a misnomer - it stains less than mild steel. Leave a
Brillo pad on it, however, and you will soon see rust marks.

Some SS is magnetic, some is not.

Chris

Austenitic and non-austenitic grades

Well I've learned something today - that there is a non-magnetic allotrope
of iron. I'd naively thought that anything made of or containing metallic
iron was ferromagnetic.

Paul[_46_] August 29th 20 02:06 AM

Stainless Steel Sink

JohnP wrote:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

JohnP Wrote in message:
Any recommended way of smartening up a scatched sink?

Angle grinder.

What type of wheel do you suggest?

Did anyone ask how deep the scratches are ?

This is a stainless steel sink factory and
their robotic sink finishing section. There's
no closeup of the Brillo pads the robots are using :-)
This section seems to be finishing the bottom of
the sink, rather than the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOpxCnVrKeY

Paul

JohnP August 29th 20 08:50 AM

Stainless Steel Sink

Paul wrote in :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOpxCnVrKeY

Amazing video

Martin Brown[_3_] September 3rd 20 11:49 AM

Stainless Steel Sink

On 27/08/2020 21:34, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 26/08/2020 11:12, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I just knew somebody would say that. Also stainless seems often to be
a bit
of misnomer. Ours may or may not be stainless but I can attach a fridge
magnet to it,yet others I can't so its some kind of alloy. and it
seems to
be stained by tea.

Ferritic stainless steels are still magnetic and easier to work with.

https://www.thoughtco.com/metal-prof...-steel-2340133

Stainless _is_ a misnomer. The French call it inoxydable which as you
may guess means won't oxidise or rustless. Which is closer, but not
entirely true.

Andy

Austenitic stainless isn't too bad at resisting most things.
It should also be non-magnetic if of suitably high quality.

https://www.thoughtco.com/metal-prof...inless-2340126

Both forms tend to have very sharp edges if you make a mistake.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown