Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aging copper

How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so
that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2020 09:46, F Murtz wrote:
How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so
that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?

Copper sulphate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2020 09:46, F Murtz wrote:

How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so
that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?

I don't know, but some of the videos by this chap may answer the question:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PabloCima1978

(well worth a watch - amazingly talented guy)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2020 11:51, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/08/2020 09:46, F Murtz wrote:

How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so
that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?

I don't know, but some of the videos by this chap may answer the question:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PabloCima1978

(well worth a watch - amazingly talented guy)

Indeed. I love the workbench with catcher tray underneath!

Certainly a master of the "dremel"!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2020 13:24, newshound wrote:
On 24/08/2020 11:51, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/08/2020 09:46, F Murtz wrote:

How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so
that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?

I don't know, but some of the videos by this chap may answer the
question:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PabloCima1978

(well worth a watch - amazingly talented guy)

Indeed. I love the workbench with catcher tray underneath!

I suspect if your "sawdust" was as expensive as his, you would want to
catch it as well :-)

Certainly a master of the "dremel"!

Indeed.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2020 09:46, F Murtz wrote:
How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so
that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?

Use some HP brown sauce to clean up the rest of the old pipe
to match the repair, which presumably was cleaned with flux before
brazing ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paint it with tinted lacquer?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"F Murtz" wrote in message
How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so that
it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F Murtz wrote:
How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so
that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?

Polish up the old pipe? ;-)

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2020 16:16, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Would that not etch it?
Brian

Many years ago I used to make terrariums as a hobby using copper tape on
the edges of the glass pieces. These were then soldered together, and to
blend the solder with the copper tape I always used a solution of copper
sulphate. This had the efect of colouring the solder so that it matched
the copper tape. It worked very well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 11:51:57 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/08/2020 09:46, F Murtz wrote:

How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so
that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?

I don't know, but some of the videos by this chap may answer the question:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PabloCima1978

(well worth a watch - amazingly talented guy)

--
Cheers,

John.

Factories making cigarettes have very efficient extraction equipment. On the basis that the dust contains some tobacco they weigh it and claim back the tax

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2020 13:19, fred wrote:
On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 11:51:57 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/08/2020 09:46, F Murtz wrote:

How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper
so that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a
new joint?

I don't know, but some of the videos by this chap may answer the
question:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PabloCima1978

(well worth a watch - amazingly talented guy)

Factories making cigarettes have very efficient extraction equipment.
On the basis that the dust contains some tobacco they weigh it and
claim back the tax

Makes sense - much like pubs collecting spoilt beer and sending it back
to the brewer to let them dispose of it in front of the excise officer!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2020 14:01, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/08/2020 13:24, newshound wrote:
On 24/08/2020 11:51, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/08/2020 09:46, F Murtz wrote:

How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so
that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?

I don't know, but some of the videos by this chap may answer the
question:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PabloCima1978

(well worth a watch - amazingly talented guy)

Indeed. I love the workbench with catcher tray underneath!

I suspect if your "sawdust" was as expensive as his, you would want to
catch it as well :-)

There are lots of incidences where it has been resold as an expensive
item. :-)

Certainly a master of the "dremel"!

Indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/8/20 1:16 am, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
F Murtz wrote:
How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so
that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?

Polish up the old pipe? ;-)

There is loads of it and it is old and I would rather it not look like
it was added to.

Aging "African Mahogany" [email protected] Woodworking 6 September 21st 05 01:32 AM
Aging Cherry D Steck Woodworking 5 April 15th 05 03:06 PM
finishing and aging cherry Dennis Arenson Woodworking 3 October 21st 04 05:25 PM
Aging Walnut BUB 209 Woodworking 5 November 20th 03 04:19 PM
Fence & Dust Collection on my gracefully aging 9 inch Craftsman TS Morgans Woodworking 2 September 13th 03 06:51 AM