Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Update - the Variac Went Up in Smoke!

Astute readers will recall I was attempting to get an old variac up to
modern safety standards. Well, it just spewed out a great deal of
acrid smoke and is now reposing in the dustbin. The only thing I can
think of that *might* have caused this was that I applied Servisol
contact cleaner/lube to the brush and the windings at the edge around
the circumference where they contact the brush. Could the Servisol
have dissolved the varnish on the windings and shorted them out?
I've checked everything else and it was wired correctly so I can't
think of what else could have caused it to spontaneously combust..
Any thoughts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 August 2020 18:45:43 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Astute readers will recall I was attempting to get an old variac up to
modern safety standards. Well, it just spewed out a great deal of
acrid smoke and is now reposing in the dustbin. The only thing I can
think of that *might* have caused this was that I applied Servisol
contact cleaner/lube to the brush and the windings at the edge around
the circumference where they contact the brush. Could the Servisol
have dissolved the varnish on the windings and shorted them out?
I've checked everything else and it was wired correctly so I can't
think of what else could have caused it to spontaneously combust..
Any thoughts?

they're not too hard to rewind, I wouldn't bin it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 18:45, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Astute readers will recall I was attempting to get an old variac up to
modern safety standards. Well, it just spewed out a great deal of
acrid smoke and is now reposing in the dustbin. The only thing I can
think of that *might* have caused this was that I applied Servisol
contact cleaner/lube to the brush and the windings at the edge around
the circumference where they contact the brush. Could the Servisol
have dissolved the varnish on the windings and shorted them out?
I've checked everything else and it was wired correctly so I can't
think of what else could have caused it to spontaneously combust..
Any thoughts?

Old windings are shellac insulated and that dissolves in ethyl alcohol.
And almost anything else. It is apparently used to coat pills so they
dissolve in the intestine and not the stomach.

So with shellac, the question is 'what will *not* dissolve it?'

--
€œPeople believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Really? How do you get the contact area?

mechanically remove the shellac where the wiper needs to touch it,
sander maybe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 August 2020 11:47:03 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Really? How do you get the contact area?

mechanically remove the shellac where the wiper needs to touch it,
sander maybe?

sandpaper, scraper, solvent, whatever. Not a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 09:43:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Old windings are shellac insulated and that dissolves in ethyl alcohol.
And almost anything else. It is apparently used to coat pills so they
dissolve in the intestine and not the stomach.

The one now awaiting recycling was manufactured in the 1940s and
insulated with whatever they used back then. As you say, shellac I
guess back in those days.

So with shellac, the question is 'what will *not* dissolve it?'

That could well explain it then!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Old windings are shellac insulated and that dissolves in ethyl alcohol.
And almost anything else. It is apparently used to coat pills so they
dissolve in the intestine and not the stomach.

The one now awaiting recycling was manufactured in the 1940s and
insulated with whatever they used back then. As you say, shellac I
guess back in those days.

So with shellac, the question is 'what will *not* dissolve it?'

That could well explain it then!

There are probably people that would buy it as is. Variacs are hard to get now.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Old windings are shellac insulated and that dissolves in ethyl alcohol.
And almost anything else. It is apparently used to coat pills so they
dissolve in the intestine and not the stomach.

The one now awaiting recycling was manufactured in the 1940s and
insulated with whatever they used back then. As you say, shellac I
guess back in those days.

So with shellac, the question is 'what will *not* dissolve it?'

That could well explain it then!

There are probably people that would buy it as is. Variacs are hard to get now.

It would only be worth a fiver in the state it's in now - if that. Not
worf the bovver.

The 3 faulty variacs for parts only on ebay now are priced at £60, £225 and £53.38, all plus postage.

NT