Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing to tarmac

We have a drain at corner of the house which consistently gets blocked with seeds from surrounding trees. In the past Ive placed one of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-...mm-black/78832
, not that exact model but that type. First problem was wind whipping it away and second problem was it was too low. The down pipe is cut quite short so it doesn't engage with the entry hole in the guard. I can live with this problem or just extend the down pipe .
So I need some simple way of fixing the guard to the tarmac (or what ever the correct name is).
Haven't bought the new guard so would welcome alternative solutions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not fix it to the wall instead. If it does not have the screw lugs on the pictured one, use a couple of angle brackets.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 01:42:42 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky wrote:

Why not fix it to the wall instead. If it does not have the screw lugs
on the pictured one, use a couple of angle brackets.

+1

Or place a suitable stone on it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 10:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 01:42:42 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky wrote:

Why not fix it to the wall instead. If it does not have the screw lugs
on the pictured one, use a couple of angle brackets.

+1

Or place a suitable stone on it.

For ease of removal for cleaning under, one or two screw eyes in the
wall and "snap hooks" attached to the cover. (Or eyes on each, connected
by a snap hook)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 10:46:52 AM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 21/08/2020 10:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 01:42:42 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky wrote:

Why not fix it to the wall instead. If it does not have the screw lugs
on the pictured one, use a couple of angle brackets.

+1

Or place a suitable stone on it.

For ease of removal for cleaning under, one or two screw eyes in the
wall and "snap hooks" attached to the cover. (Or eyes on each, connected
by a snap hook)

Yes ease of removal is important. I'll just jury rig something which will withstand corrosion and whatever the weather can fling at it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
fred writes
So I need some simple way of fixing the guard to the tarmac (or what
ever the correct name is).

I use one like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Pla...ide-Drain-Gull
y-Waste-Leaf-Guard-Cover-PB1010/233669347544?hash=item3667c748d8:g:CLcAAO
SwpItfKCNc

eBay item 233669347544

The moulded 'tines' across the down pipe access hole are sufficient to
hold the cover in place, even in windy Aberdeenshire. The one
illustrated appears to have a clip behind the pipe too, which is even
better.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is under the tarmac?
How thick is it at that point?
Was wondering if there is a pipe beneath where you could attach the guard
or even concrete.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"fred" wrote in message
We have a drain at corner of the house which consistently gets blocked with
seeds from surrounding trees. In the past Ive placed one of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-...mm-black/78832
, not that exact model but that type. First problem was wind whipping it
away and second problem was it was too low. The down pipe is cut quite short
so it doesn't engage with the entry hole in the guard. I can live with this
problem or just extend the down pipe .
So I need some simple way of fixing the guard to the tarmac (or what ever
the correct name is).
Haven't bought the new guard so would welcome alternative solutions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that fred formulated :
We have a drain at corner of the house which consistently gets blocked with
seeds from surrounding trees. In the past Ive placed one of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-...mm-black/78832 , not that
exact model but that type. First problem was wind whipping it away and second
problem was it was too low. The down pipe is cut quite short so it doesn't
engage with the entry hole in the guard. I can live with this problem or just
extend the down pipe . So I need some simple way of fixing the guard to the
tarmac (or what ever the correct name is). Haven't bought the new guard so
would welcome alternative solutions.

I just put a spare brick on top of mine. I think I paid £1 each for the
guards in a pound shop.