Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement CH boiler - internal plumbing plastic?

I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants condensing one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go from close to the bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right angle bends over an ~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 09:09, Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants condensing one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go from close to the bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right angle bends over an ~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

Might be worth checking the installation instructions, many stipulate
that pipes close to the boiler must be in copper.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 9:14:47 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/08/2020 09:09, Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants condensing one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go from close to the bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right angle bends over an ~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

Might be worth checking the installation instructions, many stipulate
that pipes close to the boiler must be in copper.

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks John - bit niave not read ALL parts of the instruction book fully first. This categorically says NO .

My self argument in its favour was that if there was a fire in the boiler itself then this would be a self extinguishing feature, but further thought suggests that the continuous local heat would soften the plastic pipe and its couplings.
Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 09:09, Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants condensing one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go from close to the bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right angle bends over an ~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

22mm plastic is not very flexible, and (if visibly) snakey stuff doesn't
look very nice. As other poster said, they may recommend copper for a
certain distance. Do as much of the wiggly stuff as possible in copper
to keep the plastic bit as straight as possible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 10:50, newshound wrote:
On 21/08/2020 09:09, Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants
condensing one.Â* The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go from
close to the bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right angle
bends over an ~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

22mm plastic is not very flexible, and (if visibly) snakey stuff doesn't
look very nice. As other poster said, they may recommend copper for a
certain distance. Do as much of the wiggly stuff as possible in copper
to keep the plastic bit as straight as possible.

With some flex in the plastic, the copper does not have to be quite so
accurate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 09:09, Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants condensing one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go from close to the bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right angle bends over an ~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

From next month you should be able to get some fincancial support for a
new boiler from the government. Getting the grant for a DIY install may
be a challenge but if you do manage I would certainly like to know!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ergy-efficien/

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 09:49, Rob Graham wrote:
On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 9:14:47 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/08/2020 09:09, Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants
condensing one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go
from close to the bottom of the housing to the top involving 3
right angle bends over an ~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

Might be worth checking the installation instructions, many
stipulate that pipes close to the boiler must be in copper.

Thanks John - bit niave not read ALL parts of the instruction book
fully first. This categorically says NO .

My self argument in its favour was that if there was a fire in the
boiler itself then this would be a self extinguishing feature, but
further thought suggests that the continuous local heat would soften
the plastic pipe and its couplings. Thanks Rob

Yup I think that is the usual thinking - the pressure handling
capability of plastic decreases with temperature. Not usually an issues
at DHW temps, but boiler primary flow temps may be higher, and sealed
system pressures could go up to 3 bar or more.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That would negate the point of him doing it. Its the return side but still
might be very hot I guess. I'm a bit old school having had many friends
where modern installations using plastic have had leaks and strange effects
due to plastic pliability mixed with the metal used for other parts of
their systems.
The more I read here about CH systems the less inclined I am to have one!
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
On 21/08/2020 09:09, Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants condensing
one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go from close to the
bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right angle bends over an
~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

22mm plastic is not very flexible, and (if visibly) snakey stuff doesn't
look very nice. As other poster said, they may recommend copper for a
certain distance. Do as much of the wiggly stuff as possible in copper to
keep the plastic bit as straight as possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 11:03:25 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

From next month you should be able to get some fincancial support for a
new boiler from the government. Getting the grant for a DIY install may
be a challenge but if you do manage I would certainly like to know!

Zero chance of getting a grant for DIY I would have thought. These
grants are paid direct to a "professional installer" who also has to
be registered on the relevant scheme and/or a member of a relevant
professional body and/or safety organisation.

We had our boiler replaced under some such scheme using a
"professional installer". This "professional" installed the magnetic
filter thing with the flow going the wrong way. Terminated the flue
below and too close to an opening window. Cracked the internal
condensate reservoir/trap so it leaked.

The first two they sorted out after an inspection, the cracked
condensate trap I had to sort via the boilers warranty.

I do wish there was a DIY option for these schemes but I can
understand why there isn't.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants condensing
one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go from close to the
bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right angle bends over an
~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

This inside the boiler? Have you ever seen a boiler with internal plastic
pipes?

To be fair, I find bending copper with a proper pipe bender ones of life's
simple pleasures.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, August 23, 2020 at 9:52:36 AM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 11:03:25 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

From next month you should be able to get some fincancial support for a
[...]

This is an outside oil boiler replacement that I was able to buy at a trade discount intending to fit myself as I 'd done its predecessor 25 years ago..

Circumstances arose that It would be better getting someone to do it so I got a quote which was so delayed that I had gone ahead and taken the old one out with some friendly assistance, and asked for an adjustment to the quote and what about the condensate, at which point they baled out. I now realise that perhaps someone had realised that they were going to lose money on this or it would have been a very shoddy job. Grant Boilers are going to get a letter of complaint from me for poor quality design which has lead to all sorts of complications. It's all very well Which? recommending them bu they don't do an installation.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 10:57:37, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants condensing
one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go from close to the
bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right angle bends over an
~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

This inside the boiler? Have you ever seen a boiler with internal plastic
pipes?

I have seen boilers with plastic O-rings that got hot, distorted and
then leaked.

To be fair, I find bending copper with a proper pipe bender ones of life's
simple pleasures.

You seem easily pleased.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants condensing
one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go from close to the
bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right angle bends over an
~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

This inside the boiler? Have you ever seen a boiler with internal plastic
pipes?

To be fair, I find bending copper with a proper pipe bender ones of life's
simple pleasures.

I find wrapping PTFE tape around an olive more satisfying.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 17:22:13, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants condensing
one.Â* The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go from close to the
bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right angle bends over an
~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

This inside the boiler? Have you ever seen a boiler with internal plastic
pipes?

To be fair, I find bending copper with a proper pipe bender ones of
life's
simple pleasures.

I find wrapping PTFE tape around an olive more satisfying.....

Something I've never seen a professional do. And the result looks messy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants
condensing one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go
from close to the bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right
angle bends over an ~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

This inside the boiler? Have you ever seen a boiler with internal
plastic pipes?

To be fair, I find bending copper with a proper pipe bender ones of
life's simple pleasures.

I find wrapping PTFE tape around an olive more satisfying.....

Something I've never seen a professional do. And the result looks messy.

Only if you use too much tape. It should be hidden under the compression
nut.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Graham wrote:
I'm replacing my 25 year old oil Camray boiler with a Grants
condensing one. The return pipe (22mmm) particularly will now go
from close to the bottom of the housing to the top involving 3 right
angle bends over an ~800mm pipe run .

Could I do this in plastic piping to ease all this contortion?

This inside the boiler? Have you ever seen a boiler with internal
plastic pipes?

To be fair, I find bending copper with a proper pipe bender ones of
life's simple pleasures.

I find wrapping PTFE tape around an olive more satisfying.....

Something I've never seen a professional do. And the result looks messy.

Only if you use too much tape. It should be hidden under the compression
nut.

The word "should" ought to be associated with *"should* not wrap PTFE
around an olive".

PTFE creeps.

If you want lubrication, use a lubricant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â*Â* Rob Graham wrote:
[...]

you can never use too much tape and you can't overtighten it .....never
leaks