Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default seeking modular plastic 'sub-trays' for tradesman's fastener case

Hi all
you know those flat metal 'Tradesman's' cases you get of screws etc - with several plastic 'sub-trays' of different colours and interlocking sizes. for the different sized fasteners?

Any idea where I could get sets of (cheap) replacement sub-trays? I have only found them costing several pounds per tray, even on eBay. There must be someone who sells a knock-off variant. I have a couple of empty cases I want to fill...

Thanks
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 08:53:36 -0700 (PDT), jkn
wrote:

Hi all
you know those flat metal 'Tradesman's' cases you get of screws etc - with several plastic 'sub-trays' of different colours and interlocking sizes. for the different sized fasteners?

I do ...

Any idea where I could get sets of (cheap) replacement sub-trays?

I think we might need to know the make of the case to be able to
recommend a properly matching sub tray?

I have only found them costing several pounds per tray, even on eBay.

Ouch.

There must be someone who sells a knock-off variant. I have a couple of empty cases I want to fill...

Sounds like the ideal use of a 3D printer ... or a saw, some hardboard
and hot melt glue?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

wrote:
Hi all
you know those flat metal 'Tradesman's' cases you get of screws etc - with several plastic 'sub-trays' of different colours and interlocking sizes. for the different sized fasteners?

I do ...

Any idea where I could get sets of (cheap) replacement sub-trays?

I think we might need to know the make of the case to be able to
recommend a properly matching sub tray?
I have only found them costing several pounds per tray, even on eBay.

Ouch.
There must be someone who sells a knock-off variant. I have a couple of empty cases I want to fill...

Sounds like the ideal use of a 3D printer ... or a saw, some hardboard
and hot melt glue?

Cheers, T i m

Well, my assumption (correct I *think*) is that they are a standard size - as I say, I am taking it to be a
modular system with some commonality.

'Sorta-case' seems to be the generic form. I've seen a list of dimensions:

45mm, 63mm & 83mm Deep
54 x 54 mm Orange
54 x 108mm Yellow
108 x 108mm Blue
54 x 216mm Green
108 x 162mm Green
108 x 216mm Red

If my assumption turns out to be incorrect, then yes, I do have a backup path involving 3mm MDF
and hot-melt glue. But I suspect there are (removeable) alternatives to that, hence the Question:...

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all
you know those flat metal 'Tradesman's' cases you get of screws etc - with several plastic 'sub-trays' of different colours and interlocking sizes. for the different sized fasteners?

I do ...

Any idea where I could get sets of (cheap) replacement sub-trays?

I think we might need to know the make of the case to be able to
recommend a properly matching sub tray?

I have only found them costing several pounds per tray, even on eBay.

Ouch.

There must be someone who sells a knock-off variant. I have a couple of empty cases I want to fill...

Sounds like the ideal use of a 3D printer ... or a saw, some hardboard
and hot melt glue?

Cheers, T i m

Yup, easiest way might be to make up some fixed dividers of the size and
shape that you want. Apart from hardboard you could use polycarbonate or
some other polymer sheet. If you really want removable "cups" then find
or recycle something suitable (e.g. bottom half of screw-top herb or
pill bottles) and stop them sliding about by making fixed dividers to fit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 12:44:58 -0700 (PDT), jkn
wrote:

snip

Well, my assumption (correct I *think*) is that they are a standard size - as I say,

Ok ...

I am taking it to be a
modular system with some commonality.

Well, you often get several competing systems and then others come
along that share one of the designs and hopefully (at some time) they
all default to the same format. ;-)

'Sorta-case' seems to be the generic form. I've seen a list of dimensions:

Yes, I've seen many of that sort of thing, never assumed (or checked)
if they were a generic size / format etc.

45mm, 63mm & 83mm Deep
54 x 54 mm Orange
54 x 108mm Yellow
108 x 108mm Blue
54 x 216mm Green
108 x 162mm Green
108 x 216mm Red

If my assumption turns out to be incorrect, then yes, I do have a backup path involving 3mm MDF
and hot-melt glue. But I suspect there are (removeable) alternatives to that, hence the Question:...

I was thinking of (you) *making* such boxes from hardboard / MDF, not
just making the dividers?

If you were able to optimise on one or two sizes, you (I) could 3d
print a construction frame. You cut the panels and drop them into the
frame (like glass in a fish tank) then run hot-melt-glue round the
inside, cool, rinse/repeat. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 20:53:45 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

Sounds like the ideal use of a 3D printer ... or a saw, some hardboard
and hot melt glue?

Yup, easiest way might be to make up some fixed dividers of the size and
shape that you want. Apart from hardboard you could use polycarbonate or
some other polymer sheet. If you really want removable "cups" then find
or recycle something suitable (e.g. bottom half of screw-top herb or
pill bottles) and stop them sliding about by making fixed dividers to fit.

Aren't these systems normally divider free so the boxes themselves
make up the structure?

I was thinking of the OP making up the boxes themselves, after all,
they aren't particularly sophisticated are they?

The only thing I can think of as being reasonably critical is the
height of the boxes. Short enough for the lid to close but tall enough
to stop the stuff falling out of each box when tipped up?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 9:30:56 PM UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 20:53:45 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip
[...]

Jeez, I was asking if the 'bins' were available, not what of the 99 alternatives I have
already considered should be followed if they are not.

Still, this is Usenet, I suppose, feel free to wander off the path...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:
Hi all
you know those flat metal 'Tradesman's' cases you get of screws etc -
with several plastic 'sub-trays' of different colours and interlocking
sizes. for the different sized fasteners?

Any idea where I could get sets of (cheap) replacement sub-trays? I have
only found them costing several pounds per tray, even on eBay. There must
be someone who sells a knock-off variant. I have a couple of empty cases
I want to fill...

No idea if it's the sort of thing you mean, but:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148629309.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998017798.html

and similar sets of interlocking parts.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 13:45:26 -0700 (PDT), jkn
wrote:

snip

Jeez, I was asking if the 'bins' were available,

You already told us they were but you couldn't afford them?

not what of the 99 alternatives I have
already considered

Well done you!

should be followed if they are not.

Should? Paranoid or something?

Still, this is Usenet, I suppose,

You got there in the end.

feel free to wander off the path...

Oh no, still not got there ... ;-(

See, whilst you may have thought your question was straightforward, it
wasn't, not here anyway.

If you didn't want any alternatives, you should have said so.

If you didn't expect any thread drift, you *really* haven't been on
Usenet before have you (not that this thread has drifted at all!).

You are welcome. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug 2020 21:55:33 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

jkn wrote:
Hi all
you know those flat metal 'Tradesman's' cases you get of screws etc -
with several plastic 'sub-trays' of different colours and interlocking
sizes. for the different sized fasteners?

Any idea where I could get sets of (cheap) replacement sub-trays? I have
only found them costing several pounds per tray, even on eBay. There must
be someone who sells a knock-off variant. I have a couple of empty cases
I want to fill...

No idea if it's the sort of thing you mean, but:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148629309.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998017798.html

and similar sets of interlocking parts.

Don't expect to be thanked unless they are *exactly* what he's looking
for ... and those wouldn't let him throw his toys out the pram fast
enough. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 9:55:38 PM UTC+1, Theo wrote:
jkn wrote:
Hi all
you know those flat metal 'Tradesman's' cases you get of screws etc -
with several plastic 'sub-trays' of different colours and interlocking
sizes. for the different sized fasteners?

Any idea where I could get sets of (cheap) replacement sub-trays? I have
only found them costing several pounds per tray, even on eBay. There must
be someone who sells a knock-off variant. I have a couple of empty cases
I want to fill...

No idea if it's the sort of thing you mean, but:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148629309.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998017798.html

and similar sets of interlocking parts.

Theo

Hi Theo
To confound T i m's mis-prediction, I thank you. They are not really what I am looking for (The 'bins' need to be a particular sizing, for starters),
but that is a useful spot in any case.

J^n, on Usenet since 1992...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:
Hi all
you know those flat metal 'Tradesman's' cases you get of screws etc -
with several plastic 'sub-trays' of different colours and interlocking
sizes. for the different sized fasteners?

Any idea where I could get sets of (cheap) replacement sub-trays? I have
only found them costing several pounds per tray, even on eBay. There must
be someone who sells a knock-off variant. I have a couple of empty cases
I want to fill...

No idea if it's the sort of thing you mean, but:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148629309.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998017798.html

and similar sets of interlocking parts.

Theo

Hi Theo

Are you very old or think you are writing a letter? No one 'switched
on' indents margins on letters these days, let alone emails or Usenet!

To confound T i m's mis-prediction, I thank you.

Of course you would ... ;-)

They are not really what I am looking for (The 'bins' need to be a particular sizing, for starters),
but that is a useful spot in any case.

Yeah, of course it is. Something that doesn't do what you want (not
knocking Theo's efforts of course, any more than anyone else who has
offered 'help'), compared with the d-i-y solution of making some
yourself that would do *exactly* what you *need*, even if not in the
way you *want*.

J^n, on Usenet since 1992...

And still think it's 1892. ;-)

Yours sincerely,

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you do have to resort to making them, then a piece of square section drainpipe cut up into the depth you require with either a plastic sheet cemented to one end or a plywood insert fitted should be a cheap way of doing some, just that you are constrained by the size of the drainpipe.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 05:21:09 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

If you do have to resort to making them, then a piece of square section drainpipe cut up into the depth you require with either a plastic sheet cemented to one end or a plywood insert fitted should be a cheap way of doing some,

Another practical 'd-i-y' solution you won't be thanked for. ;-)

just that you are constrained by the size of the drainpipe.

Quite and how well they happen to tessellate in the case.

The problem with any 'off the shelf' solution is how it might cater
for your particular combination of screws / whatever. I know nearly
every storage solution I have used ends up being too big for some
stuff and too small for others (in size and / or quantity).

Whilst ye-oldie J^n stated a range of sizes in the boxes he can't
afford, it's possible that even those might not cover what he needs as
well as a diy solution *would*. And, because they would be so cheap,
he could have all sorts of 'mix n match combinations, as he needs
changed?

And also you could ensure they tessellated at the same time. ;-)

Cheers, T i m