Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The cutting of toe nails

Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about
either making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has
drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2020 13:01, williamwright wrote:
Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about
either making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has
drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

https://www.google.com/search?q=long...w=1326&bih=640

https://preview.tinyurl.com/longreachtoenail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 13:01:06 +0100, williamwright wrote:

Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about
either making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has
drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

angle grinder

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:
Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about
either making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has
drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

Are these not long enough?

Long handled nail scissors - 7.85" - Long Nail Scissors for pedicure -
Straight toenail scissors - Serrated Blade - Stainless Steel
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DAIK7..._qQNoFbEP0Y5XN

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 August 2020 13:01:08 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.)

Won't the council send round a pretty young chiropodist?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2020 13:28, Paul Herber wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 13:01:06 +0100, williamwright wrote:

Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about
either making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has
drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

angle grinder

using one of those natty chain-saw disks for wood carving ?. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:

Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of
my toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never
have been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a
hook on the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it
towards me. This was extremely painful but it separated that toe from
the others and this cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach
properly with the scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm
wondering about either making or buying some long range scissors. So
far google has drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an
oddity.

Bill

Try what Dave Lister on Red Dwarf does, which is grab the foot and yank
it around so he can chew the toe nails.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2020 13:15, Richard wrote:
On 17/08/2020 13:01, williamwright wrote:
Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of
my toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never
have been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a
hook on the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it
towards me. This was extremely painful but it separated that toe from
the others and this cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach
properly with the scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm
wondering about either making or buying some long range scissors. So
far google has drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

https://www.google.com/search?q=long...w=1326&bih=640

https://preview.tinyurl.com/longreachtoenail

Blimey! I had no idea.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2020 13:01, williamwright wrote:
Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about
either making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has
drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

Some very useful answers. Thank you guys.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:

Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of
my toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never
have been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a
hook on the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it
towards me. This was extremely painful but it separated that toe from
the others and this cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach
properly with the scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm
wondering about either making or buying some long range scissors. So
far google has drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an
oddity.

Bill

Try what Dave Lister on Red Dwarf does, which is grab the foot and yank
it around so he can chew the toe nails.

If only I could still do that...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, I don't have this issue, as I can put my leg up on the thigh of the
other one and use both hands. However a word of warning with nails. Try to
cut them in a straight line, not a curve like the end of the toes. No always
possible of course as as we age our nails get brittle, so try it after a
bath. Use proper clippers if possible. Also check for the very edges of a
nail being split and growing down into the foot, unfortunately a problem
compounded by footwear over the years!
Keep digging such bits out and its much more comfortable than going to
podiatrist and having nurse Gelder prize them out with a sadistic grin.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" wrote in message
Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about either
making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has drawn a
blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Herber Wrote in message:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 13:01:06 +0100, williamwright wrote:

Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about
either making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has
drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

angle grinder

Mole grips & savlon
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I find the cheap blue Chinese electrical snips better than propper
nail clippers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrica...lush-Pliers-Wi
re-Cable-Cutter-Cutting-Pliers-Tool/402284729343?hash=item5daa09d3
ff:g:PXsAAOSwQBNezjTS

--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:

Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of
my toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never
have been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a
hook on the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it
towards me. This was extremely painful but it separated that toe from
the others and this cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach
properly with the scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm
wondering about either making or buying some long range scissors. So
far google has drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an
oddity.

Bill

Try what Dave Lister on Red Dwarf does, which is grab the foot and yank
it around so he can chew the toe nails.

If only I could still do that...

Missing the taste?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2020 15:03, williamwright wrote:
On 17/08/2020 13:15, Richard wrote:
On 17/08/2020 13:01, williamwright wrote:
Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of
my toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never
have been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a
hook on the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it
towards me. This was extremely painful but it separated that toe from
the others and this cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach
properly with the scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm
wondering about either making or buying some long range scissors. So
far google has drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

https://www.google.com/search?q=long...w=1326&bih=640

https://preview.tinyurl.com/longreachtoenail

Blimey! I had no idea.

Or one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006GB5LY2/

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:

Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of
my toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never
have been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a
hook on the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it
towards me. This was extremely painful but it separated that toe from
the others and this cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach
properly with the scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm
wondering about either making or buying some long range scissors. So
far google has drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an
oddity.

Bill

Try what Dave Lister on Red Dwarf does, which is grab the foot and yank
it around so he can chew the toe nails.

If only I could still do that...

Pay Bill a visit, he might be grateful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about
either making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has
drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

You deserve a hearty pat on the back for not being a burden on others.
There are some here that would expect their local authority to wipe
their arses for them at public expense if they could. Well done for
not being one of those types.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about
either making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has
drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

You might want to engage the services of a podiatrist, who will also
check your feet for other potential problems, treat blisters, etc. You
should be able to get this free on the NHS if you have a qualifying
condition such as diabetes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Richard smithski@btinternet.
com.invalid scribeth thus
On 17/08/2020 13:01, williamwright wrote:
Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about
either making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has
drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

https://www.google.com/search?q=long...niors &newwin
dow=1&safe=off&client=opera&hs=RSh&source=lnms&tb m=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjUl6SKm6
LrAhUEZMAKHX_SAKMQ_AUoAnoECDUQBA&biw=1326&bih=6 40

https://preview.tinyurl.com/longreachtoenail

Mr Wright thou should knowest that the only tool for this job is an
Angel Grinder!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 August 2020 19:56:00 UTC+1, Custos Custodum wrote:

You might want to engage the services of a podiatrist, who will also
check your feet for other potential problems, treat blisters, etc. You
should be able to get this free on the NHS if you have a qualifying
condition such as diabetes.

I have had a few podiatry sessions when I had some health issues that impacted my feet. (No - they did not qualify for "free".) Very pleasant. I just can't quite get myself to pay for them when I can manage to cut my own nails. Mind, maybe I will book a session now I've been thinking about it...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 15:03:16 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

On 17/08/2020 13:15, Richard wrote:
On 17/08/2020 13:01, williamwright wrote:
Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of
my toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never
have been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a
hook on the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it
towards me. This was extremely painful but it separated that toe from
the others and this cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach
properly with the scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm
wondering about either making or buying some long range scissors. So
far google has drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

https://www.google.com/search?q=long...w=1326&bih=640

https://preview.tinyurl.com/longreachtoenail

Blimey! I had no idea.

Contrary to any egotistical symptoms you may harbour you are not
unique in having such a requirement.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 4:33:15 PM UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
If you want to remove a lot of that hard skin then the express pedi has good
reviews, but to be honest a normal foot file is just as good if you are
careful. I work by touch of course, but then I have no issues with reaching
my feet.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
al-september.org...
wrote:

Last night I discovered something that helps a bit in the cutting of my
toe nails. (My problem is that I can't really reach my feet; never have
been able to.) With my left hand I used a strip of metal with a hook on
the end to capture the toe to be dealt with and pull it towards me. This
was extremely painful but it separated that toe from the others and this
cleared the area for the scissors. I can't reach properly with the
scissors though, so I can only do a crude job. I'm wondering about
either making or buying some long range scissors. So far google has
drawn a blank, which makes me think I must be an oddity.

Bill

angle grinder

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

I find those utterly useless. For the hard skin on the sole of my foot I use a small pad sander:- https://www.axminstertools.com/ie/bo...dy-only-103399
can be a bit awkward to hold but does the job quickly

DIY toe nails williamwright UK diy 24 March 28th 20 12:07 PM
Common nails are thicker than the same size Coated Nails (Sinkers) [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 29th 16 11:56 PM
fitting toe kick /plinth to kitchen [email protected] Woodworking 1 October 27th 05 02:18 PM
Toe-kick vent Wes Stebbins Home Repair 2 June 5th 05 06:33 PM
How to Toe-Nail Using a Brad Nailer? [email protected] Woodworking 17 February 11th 05 06:23 PM