Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sliding wardrobe doors

Going to build a cupboard and I am thinking hinged doors will be hard to
do right, whereas sliding mirror doors - should be easy. As far as I can
tell the doors will overlap each other and the track is often cutable so
the exact width is not a problem. The height though, may need a door cut
to length. Does that exist?

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 August 2020 10:53:25 UTC+1, TimW wrote:
Going to build a cupboard and I am thinking hinged doors will be hard to
do right, whereas sliding mirror doors - should be easy. As far as I can
tell the doors will overlap each other and the track is often cutable so
the exact width is not a problem. The height though, may need a door cut
to length. Does that exist?

Screwfixwardrobes will do cut to size and allow up to 15mm addition with a packing piece on the bottom rail.

** If it's toughened glass it can't be cut down after toughening. **

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Make sure you support the tracks strongly and keep an eye on the dimensions
exactly, as a tiny movement can make the door fall out. I have an old fitted
wardrobe like this and the bottom and top runners are sagging. Not helped by
an upper cupboard being full of paint tins, don't ask!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"TimW" wrote in message
Going to build a cupboard and I am thinking hinged doors will be hard to
do right, whereas sliding mirror doors - should be easy. As far as I can
tell the doors will overlap each other and the track is often cutable so
the exact width is not a problem. The height though, may need a door cut
to length. Does that exist?

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, my doors seem to be made of two bits of hardboard and two vertical
stiffeners of timber. Long run, and that is why the issues. Also easy to get
fingers caught between doors and the gap lets in a lot of muck. Hinged doors
can be more dust tight, but for me are dangerous for walking into.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 03:22:30 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

Going to build a cupboard and I am thinking hinged doors will be

hard
to do right,

Maybe but provided the apertures are made square and plumb with the
non squareness and plumb of the building taken up with the
architrave.

whereas sliding mirror doors - should be easy.

Track has to be level and the lower rail parallel.

As far as I can tell the doors will overlap each other

Bear in mind that with three panels you can only have slightly less
than a single panel width open open at any time. 4 panels up to two
widths.

Fixed pitch font:

¦ ======== ¦ ¦ ======== ¦
¦======== ========¦ ¦ ================¦

¦======== ¦ ¦======== ¦
¦======== ========¦ ¦================ ¦

** If it's toughened glass it can't be cut down after toughening. **

And I should imagine this will have to be toughened or laminated
glass. and fairly thick (10 mm?) so each quite heavy.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

And I should imagine this will have to be toughened or laminated
glass. and fairly thick (10 mm?) so each quite heavy.

The glass in my (removed but not discarded) Stanley sliding mirror doors
is only 4mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW Wrote in message:
Going to build a cupboard and I am thinking hinged doors will be hard to
do right, whereas sliding mirror doors - should be easy. As far as I can
tell the doors will overlap each other and the track is often cutable so
the exact width is not a problem. The height though, may need a door cut
to length. Does that exist?

TW

Not on a miserly budget...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:
Going to build a cupboard and I am thinking hinged doors will be hard to
do right, whereas sliding mirror doors - should be easy. As far as I can
tell the doors will overlap each other and the track is often cutable so
the exact width is not a problem. The height though, may need a door cut
to length. Does that exist?

TW

We had some mirror doors made to order for a hall cupboard. It was a long
time ago so I cant recall the price. We used a local small trader who does
fitted bedrooms. Hed done our wardrobes etc.

A family member had some MDF doors made by a company they found on the
Internet. Quite impressive. You send the measurements and they quote
depending on size and style from a range. You can add the fittings for
hinges, folding, sliding etc.

Do a search on mdf doors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 August 2020 10:53:25 UTC+1, TimW wrote:

tell the doors will overlap each other and the track is often cutable so

it has fitted padded trays for kittens?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 20:45:42 -0000 (UTC), Radio Man wrote:

On ours, the weight is carried on the bottom wheels.

Ours are top hung but timber. Track at the bottom stikes me as asking
to get damaged by being kicked or stood on and/or get clogged with
dust after a while.

Two wheels at the top are steadies, they don t carry weight,

Just small, short, nylon guides on the bottom rail.

and are sprung to allow for things being uneven or not quite parallel.

I was thinking more of appearence if the rails weren't parallel,

--
Cheers
Dave.