Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

TIA
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 16/08/2020 21:41, Jimk wrote:
Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

TIA

Mixture running lean so requires choke to make it richer ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss Wrote in message:
On 16/08/2020 21:41, Jimk wrote:
Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

TIA

Mixture running lean so requires choke to make it richer ?

Yup I reckon. But why so suddenly?
Blocked jet ?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 21:41, Jimk wrote:
Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

Strip down the carb and clean it. Get a rebuild kit for it if in any doubt.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 16/08/2020 21:41, Jimk wrote:
Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

Strip down the carb and clean it. Get a rebuild kit for it if in any doubt.

Carbs nearly new albeit an eBay Chinese clone of the Honda.. come
to think of it it didn't run any better when I put it on, & I
kept the old carb........

Ta!
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 22:38, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 16/08/2020 21:41, Jimk wrote:
Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

Strip down the carb and clean it. Get a rebuild kit for it if in any doubt.

Carbs nearly new albeit an eBay Chinese clone of the Honda.. come
to think of it it didn't run any better when I put it on, & I
kept the old carb........

Have you checked the fuel filter and fuel line are clean?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk submitted this idea :
Carbs nearly new albeit an eBay Chinese clone of the Honda.. come
to think of it it didn't run any better when I put it on, & I
kept the old carb........

Fuel restriction - blocked jet, poor fuel flow to carb blocked filter,
blocked air vent to tank.

Why did you fit a new carb.?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 21:41, Jimk wrote:
Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

TIA

Old fuel that has not been used during the lockdown?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 16/08/2020 21:41, Jimk wrote:
Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

TIA

Old fuel that has not been used during the lockdown?

Topped up a month ago, but that will have been in the can for a
few months...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 16/08/2020 22:38, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 16/08/2020 21:41, Jimk wrote:
Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

Strip down the carb and clean it. Get a rebuild kit for it if in any doubt.

Carbs nearly new albeit an eBay Chinese clone of the Honda.. come
to think of it it didn't run any better when I put it on, & I
kept the old carb........

Have you checked the fuel filter and fuel line are clean?

Don't think there is a filter unless it's hidden?

Presumably as it will run with a little choke fuel is getting there ok?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk used his keyboard to write :
Don't think there is a filter unless it's hidden?

Presumably as it will run with a little choke fuel is getting there ok?

Normally there will be some sort of filter, even if only a mesh
strainer.

Pulling the choke, will increase the vacuum to increase the flow of
fuel, limit the air going in - so it is not proof that the fuel flow is
OK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk explained on 17/08/2020 :
Topped up a month ago, but that will have been in the can for a
few months...

I have heard of this many times - the old fuel problem, but I have
never suffered it despite having engines and fuel stood for years. A
problem I have come across several times, is carbs gummed up by fuel
residues.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 21:57:08 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

Mixture running lean so requires choke to make it richer ?

Yup I reckon. But why so suddenly?
Blocked jet ?

+1

Either idle or running.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. Wrote in
message:
Jimk explained on 17/08/2020 :
Topped up a month ago, but that will have been in the can for a
few months...

I have heard of this many times - the old fuel problem, but I have
never suffered it despite having engines and fuel stood for years. A
problem I have come across several times, is carbs gummed up by fuel
residues.

is there a "redex" type solution to that?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. Wrote in
message:
Jimk used his keyboard to write :
Don't think there is a filter unless it's hidden?

Presumably as it will run with a little choke fuel is getting there ok?

Normally there will be some sort of filter, even if only a mesh
strainer.

Pulling the choke, will increase the vacuum to increase the flow of
fuel, limit the air going in - so it is not proof that the fuel flow is
OK.

That sounds logical yes...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk explained :
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. Wrote in
message:
Jimk explained on 17/08/2020 :
Topped up a month ago, but that will have been in the can for a
few months...

I have heard of this many times - the old fuel problem, but I have
never suffered it despite having engines and fuel stood for years. A
problem I have come across several times, is carbs gummed up by fuel
residues.

is there a "redex" type solution to that?

I have heard of a solution which poured into the fuel tank, helps
preserve the fuel - I don't know if it helps prevent the carb becoming
gummed up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk explained :
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. Wrote in
message:
Jimk explained on 17/08/2020 :
Topped up a month ago, but that will have been in the can for a
few months...

I have heard of this many times - the old fuel problem, but I have
never suffered it despite having engines and fuel stood for years. A
problem I have come across several times, is carbs gummed up by fuel
residues.

is there a "redex" type solution to that?

If its a dirt obstructed jet, one fix I found long ago is...

With no air filter in place, rev the engine hard and whilst the engine
is at peak revs, slap the palm of your hand over the carbs air intake.
That applies a lot of vacuum to the carbs jets, which might suck any
dirt through to burn off in the engine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2020 09:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have heard of a solution which poured into the fuel tank, helps
preserve the fuel - I don't know if it helps prevent the carb becoming
gummed up.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu.../fuel-fit.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 21:41, Jimk wrote:
Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

TIA

Depending on which part of the country you live are you now running a
fuel/water mix?

Draining the tank on my petrol mower once I discovered bad running was
caused by a small amount of water mixing with the fuel. in a glass jar,
it took a few hours for the water to completely separate from the fuel.
No real idea[1] how the water entered the fuel tank as the cap was
secure and the engine had been running OK three weeks before.

[1] Ethanol in the fuel could absorb water from the atmosphere?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 16/08/2020 21:41, Jimk wrote:
Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

TIA

Depending on which part of the country you live are you now running a
fuel/water mix?

Draining the tank on my petrol mower once I discovered bad running was
caused by a small amount of water mixing with the fuel. in a glass jar,
it took a few hours for the water to completely separate from the fuel.
No real idea[1] how the water entered the fuel tank as the cap was
secure and the engine had been running OK three weeks before.

[1] Ethanol in the fuel could absorb water from the atmosphere?

Hmmm I was reading that on the Fuel fit blurb...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 21:53, ss wrote:
On 16/08/2020 21:41, Jimk wrote:
Petrol mixer engine needs choke to run all of a sudden....

elderly belle w Honda engine, was running as normal a month ago,
Â* now even when warm struggles to keep going unless the choke is
Â* slightly on.....

Without choke it struggles & does not run sweet...

Suggestions to remedy please?

TIA

Mixture running lean so requires choke to make it richer ?

dirt in the main jet, prolly

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.