Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I'm running out of Turbo Ultra screws - are there alternatives?

I have just assembled a climbing frame for my grandson and that has
run my stocks of Turbo Ultra screws very low so I'm desperately
looking for alternatives to restock with.

Has anyone else found anything else as good? I want screws with the
same shape as it were as Screwfix Turbo Gold screws but in stainless
steel.

I know Turbo Ultra weren't perfect by any means, the heads are a bit
easy to mangle and they do snap if you overdo things but for general
purpose outdoor screws there's nothing like them IMHO. I do quite a
lot of outdoor joinery, maintaining fences, screwing sheds back
together, etc. and for these sorts of things Turbo Ultra were ideal.

It's easy enough to find stainless wood screws but not with the extra
sharp point and rifled shank that Turbo Ultra had, so, as with Turbo
Gold, you can screw into most wood without any sort of pilot hole.

Any suggestions anyone?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 15:11, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

While stainless screws have advantages for highly corrosive
environments, they are IMHO a bit of overkill for normal outdoor work,
where galvanized / passivated screws will perform just fine.

I have had normal screwfix silverscrews outside for a decade or more
with no issues.

(Toolstation have plenty of stainless screws available for delivery)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I've used Turbo Gold for all my outside projects, some are over 25 years
old and the screws still seem as good as new.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

That's not my experience in either fences or sheds. The Turbo Gold
screws I have used corrode within a year or two whereas the Turbo
Ultra screws are more or less everlasting.

We are fairly close to the coast (five or six miles I suppose) so
maybe that's why I need stainless.

I have had normal screwfix silverscrews outside for a decade or more
with no issues.

(Toolstation have plenty of stainless screws available for delivery)

Well, having wasted several minutes due to their useless search, I
can't see anything that would work like Turbo Ultra screws. I do
actually have some Toolstation 3.5x16 stainless screws that I bought a
while ago when I ran out of that size, and they're horrible!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

It must be our closeness to the sea then as my Turbo Gold screws
outdoors are often close to disintegration and they can't be more
than 20 years or so old as we've only been here that long! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 15:11:38 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

Still not found any Chris? ;-)

https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/alternatives-to-the-discontinued-screwfix-turbo-ultra-stainl-1347165-.htm

I agree with you on all of it and would love to top up (broaden) my
collection:

https://ibb.co/x5Cr73b

It looks like you might be able to get some from here (and them
150596356156 and possibly others on eBay)?

https://toolvillage.co.uk/product/50-x-a2-stainless-steel-screws-turbo-ultra-countersunk-pozi-csk-choose-size/

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So the big question, then is, if these were so good for so many things, why
are they discontinued?I would suspect they are not actually discontinued,
just the company you bought them from has decided not to stock them any more
for whatever reason, more likely because the maker wants dosh up front of a
large amount and will only supply those who order huge amounts and don't
delay paying.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
[...]

No alternative yet! :-) It was just the major project (climbing
frame) that made me notice my low stocks. I'm paticularly short of
4x40 and 5x70 screws.

I agree with you on all of it and would love to top up (broaden) my
collection:

https://ibb.co/x5Cr73b

:-)

It looks like you might be able to get some from here (and them
150596356156 and possibly others on eBay)?

https://toolvillage.co.uk/product/50-x-a2-stainless-steel-screws-turbo-ultra-countersunk-pozi-csk-choose-size/

I have buught some from those eBay sellers, I topped up my 4x40 stock
a while ago from there.

Toolvillage still have 4x40 so I may get some from there, thanks.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
So the big question, then is, if these were so good for so many things, why
are they discontinued?I would suspect they are not actually discontinued,
just the company you bought them from has decided not to stock them any more
for whatever reason, more likely because the maker wants dosh up front of a
large amount and will only supply those who order huge amounts and don't
delay paying.

I think Screwfix are big enough to have stuff custom made for them,
many of their screws are own brand and they don't tend to hide the
fact when they sell branded (non Screwfix) items.

I'm not sure why they were discontinued, it may be that their
downsides (fairly easy to break, easy to damage the heads) caused too
many complaints - though once you had learnt their weaknesses it
wasn't much of an issue. Alternatively maybe they weren't making a
profit, they were certainly cheap compared with a lot of other
stainless screws.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They are Screwfix own brand.Possibly, the factory was in Wuhan and has
closed.

In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
So the big question, then is, if these were so good for so many things,
why are they discontinued?I would suspect they are not actually
discontinued, just the company you bought them from has decided not to
stock them any more for whatever reason, more likely because the maker
wants dosh up front of a large amount and will only supply those who
order huge amounts and don't delay paying. Brian

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 09:07:21 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

snip

Still not found any Chris? ;-)

https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/alternatives-to-the-discontinued-screwfix-turbo-ultra-stainl-1347165-.htm

No alternative yet! :-)

Me neither (not been looking hard but been looking).

It was just the major project (climbing
frame) that made me notice my low stocks. I'm paticularly short of
4x40 and 5x70 screws.

Frustrating isn't it.

I agree with you on all of it and would love to top up (broaden) my
collection:

https://ibb.co/x5Cr73b

:-)

If you only need a few to finish something and I have that size you
are welcome to some. ;-)

It looks like you might be able to get some from here (and them
150596356156 and possibly others on eBay)?

https://toolvillage.co.uk/product/50-x-a2-stainless-steel-screws-turbo-ultra-countersunk-pozi-csk-choose-size/

I have buught some from those eBay sellers, I topped up my 4x40 stock
a while ago from there.

Cool.

Toolvillage still have 4x40 so I may get some from there, thanks.

NP and good luck. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 09:13:41 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

snip

I'm not sure why they were discontinued, it may be that their
downsides (fairly easy to break, easy to damage the heads) caused too
many complaints - though once you had learnt their weaknesses it
wasn't much of an issue.

Agreed ... but once you do they are fairly special.

Alternatively maybe they weren't making a
profit, they were certainly cheap compared with a lot of other
stainless screws.

+1

I'm with you where anything that's likely to love outside is assembled
with stainless. This is because of how often even fairly new fasteners
have rusted to the point where they can't easily be undone, or they
stain, or rust away and then fail.

Anything I've assembled using SS fasteners can generally be undone and
the fasteners re-used. ;-)

The last example was the electric fence and general screw replacement
and reinforcement on daughters rescue rabbit hutch and run. When it
needed to be taken to bits it all unscrewed quickly and easily and the
SS Turbo screws handed over to the next owner for re-use. You couldn't
say that for the steel screws that were still part of the original
assembly.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
[...]

Exactly my experience Tim and that's why I use only stainless outside
now. The easy dis-assembly is a major advantage.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2020 11:15, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 09:13:41 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

snip

I'm not sure why they were discontinued, it may be that their
downsides (fairly easy to break, easy to damage the heads) caused too
many complaints - though once you had learnt their weaknesses it
wasn't much of an issue.

Agreed ... but once you do they are fairly special.

Alternatively maybe they weren't making a
profit, they were certainly cheap compared with a lot of other
stainless screws.

+1

I'm with you where anything that's likely to love outside is assembled
with stainless. This is because of how often even fairly new fasteners
have rusted to the point where they can't easily be undone, or they
stain, or rust away and then fail.

You may find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IIsQr9aY_k

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 22:09:25 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

I'm with you where anything that's likely to love outside is assembled
with stainless. This is because of how often even fairly new fasteners
have rusted to the point where they can't easily be undone, or they
stain, or rust away and then fail.

You may find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IIsQr9aY_k

Well sort of, that in that particular environment, the screws seemed
to survive ok? Unfortunately, that's not my experience and hence why I
prefer stainless?

I also do quite a bit with boats and so it makes sense to have them
for use there as well (nothing oak). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2020 11:15, T i m wrote:
[...]

But I expect mine to last more than 5 years! ... and my Turbo Gold
screws outdoors are definitely well rusty.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2020 09:05, Chris Green wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2020 11:15, T i m wrote:
[...]

well indeed, but 10 year studies take longer :-)

... and my Turbo Gold
screws outdoors are definitely well rusty.

Must admit I have never been a fan of turbo gold. Quicksilver seem
generally stronger and faster to use.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2020 23:16, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 22:09:25 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

I'm with you where anything that's likely to love outside is assembled
with stainless. This is because of how often even fairly new fasteners
have rusted to the point where they can't easily be undone, or they
stain, or rust away and then fail.

You may find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IIsQr9aY_k

Well sort of, that in that particular environment, the screws seemed
to survive ok? Unfortunately, that's not my experience and hence why I
prefer stainless?

Not that I've vast experience, but a quick survey of the various garden
gates, trellis etc shows all the standard 'gold' screws look fine after
7 years +.

I did come across a screw last week where the head just snapped off
through corrosion. It was used to hold some push-fit gutter together
(!). The head was pre-mangled, but maybe there are grades of screw, with
little/no protection.

I also do quite a bit with boats and so it makes sense to have them
for use there as well (nothing oak).

Maybe sea air has something to do with it?

(apols for direct reply - who do you get rid of that cursed 'Reply'
button in Thunderbird?!)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 10:08:20 +0100, RJH wrote:

On 17/08/2020 23:16, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 22:09:25 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

I'm with you where anything that's likely to love outside is assembled
with stainless. This is because of how often even fairly new fasteners
have rusted to the point where they can't easily be undone, or they
stain, or rust away and then fail.

You may find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IIsQr9aY_k

Well sort of, that in that particular environment, the screws seemed
to survive ok? Unfortunately, that's not my experience and hence why I
prefer stainless?

Not that I've vast experience, but a quick survey of the various garden
gates, trellis etc shows all the standard 'gold' screws look fine after
7 years +.

Maybe it's more that I've had to deal with loads of older non-plated
screws and that's put me off *all* (non stainless) steel screws?

I did come across a screw last week where the head just snapped off
through corrosion. It was used to hold some push-fit gutter together
(!). The head was pre-mangled, but maybe there are grades of screw, with
little/no protection.

Could be.

I also do quite a bit with boats and so it makes sense to have them
for use there as well (nothing oak).

Maybe sea air has something to do with it?

It would have to blow in a long way to Nth Lundin. ;-)

(apols for direct reply -

Np mate. ;-)

who do you get rid of that cursed 'Reply'
button in Thunderbird?!)

Can't help you with that I'm afraid, I use Forte Agent here. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
On 17/08/2020 23:16, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 22:09:25 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

I'm with you where anything that's likely to love outside is assembled
with stainless. This is because of how often even fairly new fasteners
have rusted to the point where they can't easily be undone, or they
stain, or rust away and then fail.

You may find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IIsQr9aY_k

Well sort of, that in that particular environment, the screws seemed
to survive ok? Unfortunately, that's not my experience and hence why I
prefer stainless?

Not that I've vast experience, but a quick survey of the various garden
gates, trellis etc shows all the standard 'gold' screws look fine after
7 years +.

'Look fine', but what are they like inside the wood?

I did come across a screw last week where the head just snapped off
through corrosion. It was used to hold some push-fit gutter together
(!). The head was pre-mangled, but maybe there are grades of screw, with
little/no protection.

So the head maybe looked OK but the inside was sufficiently corroded
to break easily.

I also do quite a bit with boats and so it makes sense to have them
for use there as well (nothing oak).

Maybe sea air has something to do with it?

(apols for direct reply - who do you get rid of that cursed 'Reply'
button in Thunderbird?!)

Doesn't look like a 'direct reply' to me, it's in the newsgroup as it
should be.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2020 12:11, Chris Green wrote:
RJH wrote:

snip

(apols for direct reply - who do you get rid of that cursed 'Reply'
button in Thunderbird?!)

Doesn't look like a 'direct reply' to me, it's in the newsgroup as it
should be.

I accidentally replied direct to the poster before posting properly.
Thunderbird has a 'Reply' button that does this - I'd like to get rid of it.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
On 18/08/2020 12:11, Chris Green wrote:
RJH wrote:

snip

(apols for direct reply - who do you get rid of that cursed 'Reply'
button in Thunderbird?!)

Doesn't look like a 'direct reply' to me, it's in the newsgroup as it
should be.

I accidentally replied direct to the poster before posting properly.
Thunderbird has a 'Reply' button that does this - I'd like to get rid of it.

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. I have a separate newsreader and e-mail
program.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2020 12:37, RJH wrote:
On 18/08/2020 12:11, Chris Green wrote:
RJH wrote:

snip

(apols for direct reply - who do you get rid of that cursed 'Reply'
button in Thunderbird?!)

Doesn't look like a 'direct reply' to me, it's in the newsgroup as it
should be.

I accidentally replied direct to the poster before posting properly.
Thunderbird has a 'Reply' button that does this - I'd like to get rid of
it.

Right click on the button bar and select customise. Drag the reply
button off the bar and into the palette.

(note there are three flavours of Reply that can reply to group, reply
to group and poster direct, or reply just to poster direct. Only the
first one is much use typically)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

You may find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IIsQr9aY_k

But I expect mine to last more than 5 years!

well indeed, but 10 year studies take longer :-)

Here are samples of my screws used outdoors, they are somewhere
between 5 and 10 years old from looking at the dates I bought various
types of screw:-

https://isbd.uk/pictures/screws/p1030055.jpg
https://isbd.uk/pictures/screws/p1030056.jpg

While the non-stainless ones are not totally knackered they aren't
going to be good in a few more years are they? You can see the
stainless one really has been used because there's some bits of wood
stuck in the thread.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 August 2020 22:09:24 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2020 11:15, T i m wrote:
[...]

Thanks, John.

Near the end, he shows a gate hinge with seemingly unrusted screws in it.

We have an almost identical hinge on our gate. Two or three screws are looking horribly rusty. The rest look untouched - just like in the video. I didn't fit it, but all the screws look identical. And it reflects my real-world experience. Some rust and some don't - even from the same batch.

The high position of his test screws would tend to dry out in a way that one near the ground on a fence post might never.

Does the material screwed through make a difference? Some sort of electrolytic effect when through a metal object?

Does it make a difference if you had to use an impact driver to get the screw in which might cause much more damage to any plating? It might only be if the particular screw/wood combo was especially tough. Which just possibly might explain some being bad and others not.

Four years ago, I used some decking screws. Brownish ones (make? no idea now). They look as new. So, when I had to make another bit of decking, I used similar ones (though this time, green).

While we might hate the look of rusty screws, I know I do, it seems feasible that using, say, a 6mm silver or gold screw might take very much longer to rust to the point of failure than a similar 4mm screw. Yet be less expensive than a 4mm stainless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2020 11:15, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 09:13:41 +0100, Chris Green
wrote:

snip

[...]

I would expect it to have some effect - especially on woods like Oak
with high tannin content.

Does it make a difference if you had to use an impact driver to get
the screw in which might cause much more damage to any plating? It

Can't say I have noticed a difference on the screw. You are possibly
less likely to chew up the head with an ID.

might only be if the particular screw/wood combo was especially
tough. Which just possibly might explain some being bad and others
not.

Were your failing ones "goldscrews"? (I have not used those in any
quantity), but I have found the quicksilver twinthreads seem to last well.

Four years ago, I used some decking screws. Brownish ones (make? no
idea now). They look as new. So, when I had to make another bit of
decking, I used similar ones (though this time, green).

They are usually passivated and then have an extra finish for colour
matching. That probably gives them a bit more protection.

While we might hate the look of rusty screws, I know I do, it seems
feasible that using, say, a 6mm silver or gold screw might take very
much longer to rust to the point of failure than a similar 4mm screw.
Yet be less expensive than a 4mm stainless.

When using 4mm, I like the Reisser "cutter" screws - those seem much
stronger than the turbo gold, and have a much tougher finish.

--
Cheers,

John.