Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mix for installing handrail in garden steps socket

Hi Folks

Had some garden steps built a couple of years ago and we now have a steel handrail to install.

The bloke who built the steps put two pieces of plastic drainpipe in the concrete to allow the handrail to be installed later.

Questions
Will a 3:1 sharp sand/cement mix be ok to fill in around the steel uprights?

If I mix this quite runny (but not ridiculously so) to flow into the spaces around the uprights, will I get any shrinkage when it goes off?

I'm going to leave the plastic drainpipe where it is. I had thought about getting it out with a hot air gun, but would prefer not to if no need. Am I wrong?

All suggestions and answers welcomed!

Ta

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 August 2020 18:07:19 UTC+1, David wrote:
Had some garden steps built a couple of years ago and we now have a
steel handrail to install.

I think molten lead was used to fix railings into stone, traditionally. Not sure if it's strong enough on its own for a handrail.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 August 2020 at 18:39:25 UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 15 August 2020 18:07:19 UTC+1, David wrote:
Had some garden steps built a couple of years ago and we now have a
steel handrail to install.

I think molten lead was used to fix railings into stone, traditionally. Not sure if it's strong enough on its own for a handrail.

Owain

Think I might have a jolly time explaining the smelter and the associated clothing to the missus...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 August 2020 18:45:18 UTC+1, David wrote:
Think I might have a jolly time explaining the smelter and the
associated clothing to the missus...

Were you expecting her to do the job?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 August 2020 at 18:07:19 UTC+1, David wrote:
Hi Folks

Had some garden steps built a couple of years ago and we now have a steel handrail to install.

The bloke who built the steps put two pieces of plastic drainpipe in the concrete to allow the handrail to be installed later.

Questions
Will a 3:1 sharp sand/cement mix be ok to fill in around the steel uprights?

If I mix this quite runny (but not ridiculously so) to flow into the spaces around the uprights, will I get any shrinkage when it goes off?

I'm going to leave the plastic drainpipe where it is. I had thought about getting it out with a hot air gun, but would prefer not to if no need. Am I wrong?

All suggestions and answers welcomed!

Ta

David

If you're on the internet you're wrong, gotta accept that. Only issue with what you propose is the steel rusting. Coat it well or galv it. Wet mixes don't shrink, but the wetter the weaker. Normally it's no problem to tamp down a traditional mortar mix.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Assuming the concrete around the pip is solid then that mix you get for
fence posts works well for this. A chap down the road did it on the steps up
from his gat to the garden over 10 years back now. Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Saturday, 15 August 2020 18:07:19 UTC+1, David wrote:
Had some garden steps built a couple of years ago and we now have a
steel handrail to install.

I think molten lead was used to fix railings into stone, traditionally.
Not sure if it's strong enough on its own for a handrail.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He did not say what was on the railing, but yes good coat of that grey zinc
stuff is good. I used it on an aerial mast support post. To get it down I
had to cut it off.
Brian

--
----- --

"Nick Cat" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
Hi Folks

Had some garden steps built a couple of years ago and we now have a steel handrail to install.

The bloke who built the steps put two pieces of plastic drainpipe in the concrete to allow the handrail to be installed later.

Questions
Will a 3:1 sharp sand/cement mix be ok to fill in around the steel uprights?

If I mix this quite runny (but not ridiculously so) to flow into the spaces around the uprights, will I get any shrinkage when it goes off?

I'm going to leave the plastic drainpipe where it is. I had thought about getting it out with a hot air gun, but would prefer not to if no need. Am I wrong?

All suggestions and answers welcomed!

Ta

David

Best paint it well if it's raw steel...

Wet mixes ok but need extra cement - equal amounts to water.

what's to stop it draining out the bottom of the plastic pipes?
Maybe stuff some plastic baggage down there in advance?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks guys!

I'll give the expanding foam a miss, but may use clear silicone instead of the sand cement mix to give the handrail an exciting wibbly unfirmness.

Oh OK, I'll stick to the sand and cement...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/08/2020 12:07, David wrote:
Thanks guys!

I'll give the expanding foam a miss, but may use clear silicone instead of the sand cement mix to give the handrail an exciting wibbly unfirmness.

Oh OK, I'll stick to the sand and cement...

Just wondering whether it's better to put the sand and cement in dry,
then add water?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
On 16/08/2020 12:07, David wrote:
Thanks guys!

I'll give the expanding foam a miss, but may use clear silicone instead of the sand cement mix to give the handrail an exciting wibbly unfirmness.

Oh OK, I'll stick to the sand and cement...

Just wondering whether it's better to put the sand and cement in dry,
then add water?

Nah , plastic bags rammed down pipes, metal in, sloppy but strong
mix, funnel made out of 2litre pop bottle, trowel it in, self
compacting, tamp with a stick if any doubt...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/