Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Worchester 24i trouble

The boiler at the van here has started acting up today.....sometimes
when you turn the hot water off the flame stays on and you can hear it
boiling the now static water with all sorts of boiling and gurgling and
rattling noises......must be the flow sensor not turning the boiler
flame off.....The problem is intermittant but a pain to listen to and I
am sure it is not doing the boiler any good....any ideas? .....before I
get a man in
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 12:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
The boiler at the van here has started acting up today.....sometimes
when you turn the hot water off the flame stays on and you can hear it
boiling the now static water with all sorts of boiling and gurgling and
rattling noises......must be the flow sensor not turning the boiler
flame off.....The problem is intermittant but a pain to listen to and I
am sure it is not doing the boiler any good....any ideas? .....before I
get a man in

not to mention steam coming out the tap
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 15:37, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 09/08/2020 12:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
The boiler at the van here has started acting up today.....sometimes
when you turn the hot water off the flame stays on and you can hear it
boiling the now static water with all sorts of boiling and gurgling
and rattling noises......must be the flow sensor not turning the
boiler flame off.....The problem is intermittant but a pain to listen
to and I am sure it is not doing the boiler any good....any ideas?
.....before I get a man in

not to mention steam coming out the tap

Did you get a full structural survey on this new trailer ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 18:55, Andrew wrote:
On 09/08/2020 15:37, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 09/08/2020 12:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
The boiler at the van here has started acting up today.....sometimes
when you turn the hot water off the flame stays on and you can hear
it boiling the now static water with all sorts of boiling and
gurgling and rattling noises......must be the flow sensor not turning
the boiler flame off.....The problem is intermittant but a pain to
listen to and I am sure it is not doing the boiler any good....any
ideas? .....before I get a man in

not to mention steam coming out the tap

Did you get a full structural survey on this new trailer ?.

don't be silly now...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 12:48:50, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
The boiler at the van here has started acting up today.....sometimes
when you turn the hot water off the flame stays on and you can hear it
boiling the now static water with all sorts of boiling and gurgling and
rattling noises......must be the flow sensor not turning the boiler
flame off.....The problem is intermittant but a pain to listen to and I
am sure it is not doing the boiler any good....any ideas? .....before I
get a man in

Given you don't seem able to lookup up its flow switch assembly you will
definitely need to get someone in to replace this or diagnose the problem.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=worcester+24i+parts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2020 21:35, Fredxx wrote:
On 09/08/2020 12:48:50, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
The boiler at the van here has started acting up today.....sometimes
when you turn the hot water off the flame stays on and you can hear it
boiling the now static water with all sorts of boiling and gurgling
and rattling noises......must be the flow sensor not turning the
boiler flame off.....The problem is intermittant but a pain to listen
to and I am sure it is not doing the boiler any good....any ideas?
.....before I get a man in

Given you don't seem able to lookup up its flow switch assembly you will
definitely need to get someone in to replace this or diagnose the problem.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=worcester+24i+parts

had it apart couldn't find it smart arse .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2020 23:22, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/08/2020 21:35, Fredxx wrote:
On 09/08/2020 12:48:50, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
The boiler at the van here has started acting up today.....sometimes
when you turn the hot water off the flame stays on and you can hear
it boiling the now static water with all sorts of boiling and
gurgling and rattling noises......must be the flow sensor not turning
the boiler flame off.....The problem is intermittant but a pain to
listen to and I am sure it is not doing the boiler any good....any
ideas? .....before I get a man in

Given you don't seem able to lookup up its flow switch assembly you
will definitely need to get someone in to replace this or diagnose the
problem.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=worcester+24i+parts

had it apart couldn't find it smart arse .....

https://ibb.co/KDQddmF
https://ibb.co/BVT6vxw
https://ibb.co/zS8xB3r
https://ibb.co/gjDXFVC
https://ibb.co/tz6KsLJ
https://ibb.co/7vMGKtD
https://ibb.co/wgMdcrQ
https://ibb.co/Lg2K7HN
https://ibb.co/BykTskr
https://ibb.co/b6JpchH
https://ibb.co/0GRFZYw
https://ibb.co/gMBrbsC
https://ibb.co/wRzqWcB
https://ibb.co/yytjmLv
https://ibb.co/sHr1vJY
https://ibb.co/S6v6MMV
https://ibb.co/sjGVky2
https://ibb.co/qRWpS2Z
https://ibb.co/KDDZgWT
https://ibb.co/FB6CbTK
https://ibb.co/zF0FG1D

so...where is it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.heatingspareparts.com/bo...spc-rsf?page=3

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

[...]

I can't identify it, though there are some blurred things in the
background of https://ibb.co/sjGVky2

Trace the hot water outlet pipe back, through the heat exchanger to
where the mains water comes in. It must be on that. Or give iin and
download the manual?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cynic wrote:

https://www.heatingspareparts.com/bo...spc-rsf?page=3

That shows a pipe to the flow swiiitch, but no switch. A bit wrorrying,
perhaps it is part of a larger assembly, such as a heat exchanger?

(Looks at diagrams) Here we are - confusiingly iindexed under "harness
and flow switch"!

https://www.heatingspareparts.com/bo...1209710/219420

I'd test its operation with a multimeter before spending that amount.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 00:15, Roger Hayter wrote:
Cynic wrote:

https://www.heatingspareparts.com/bo...spc-rsf?page=3

That shows a pipe to the flow swiiitch, but no switch. A bit wrorrying,
perhaps it is part of a larger assembly, such as a heat exchanger?

(Looks at diagrams) Here we are - confusiingly iindexed under "harness
and flow switch"!

https://www.heatingspareparts.com/bo...1209710/219420

I'd test its operation with a multimeter before spending that amount.

I know....just getting a man in...took the photos because even the gas
safe man doesn't know exactly which model I have without seeing
it.....probably cost a fortune..........
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2020 23:57, Roger Hayter wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

[...]

where the mains water comes in. It must be on that. Or give in and
download the manual?

nah I know when I'm beat......done that and it is no help...shows it up
the left hand side can't see it.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2020 23:28:45, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

If you can't recognise it then definitely get a man in.

The part is most likely:
https://ibb.co/gMBrbsC

Assuming you are taking a photo from below?

https://www.plumbase.co.uk/flow-swit...000043-3529181

As another poster has said I would check using a meter before replacing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

[...]

background ofÂ* https://ibb.co/sjGVky2

Trace the hot water outlet pipe back, through the heat exchanger to
where the mains water comes in.Â* It must be on that.Â* Or give in and
download the manual?

nah I know when I'm beat......done that and it is no help...shows it up
the left hand side can't see it.....

It's more a question of resilience and not giving up at such an early stage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

snip

If you can't recognise it then definitely get a man in.

The part is most likely:
https://ibb.co/gMBrbsC

Oh yes, there it is on the right! Missed that first time round,
thought it was part of something else. And reasonably accessible too.

Assuming you are taking a photo from below?

https://www.plumbase.co.uk/flow-swit...000043-3529181

As another poster has said I would check using a meter before replacing.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 11:49:47, Roger Hayter wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

snip

If you can't recognise it then definitely get a man in.

The part is most likely:
https://ibb.co/gMBrbsC

Oh yes, there it is on the right! Missed that first time round,
thought it was part of something else. And reasonably accessible too.

It does look that way. I'm not sure how the sensor works, but if a
piston or flap or it might be as simple as a piece of crud holding it open.

Assuming you are taking a photo from below?

https://www.plumbase.co.uk/flow-swit...000043-3529181

As another poster has said I would check using a meter before replacing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 11:09, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

going to....

The part is most likely:
Â* https://ibb.co/gMBrbsC

nah that is some kind of temperature sensor clamped around the pipe

Assuming you are taking a photo from below?

Â*https://www.plumbase.co.uk/flow-swit...000043-3529181

that will be it but I cant find it........

As another poster has said I would check using a meter before replacing.

I would if I could find it.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 11:49, Roger Hayter wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

snip

If you can't recognise it then definitely get a man in.

The part is most likely:
https://ibb.co/gMBrbsC

Oh yes, there it is on the right! Missed that first time round,
thought it was part of something else. And reasonably accessible too.

how can that be it...it is clamped AROUND the pipe......that is a
temperature sensor I would say .......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 18:15, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/08/2020 11:49, Roger Hayter wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

snip

If you can't recognise it then definitely get a man in.

The part is most likely:
Â*Â*Â* https://ibb.co/gMBrbsC

Oh yes, there it is on the right!Â*Â* Missed that first time round,
thought it was part of something else.Â* And reasonably accessible too.

how can that be it...it is clamped AROUND the pipe......that is a
temperature sensor I would say .......

oh wait the thing on the right...yes that will be it......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â* https://ibb.co/gMBrbsC

Â*Â*https://www.plumbase.co.uk/flow-swit...000043-3529181

that will be it but I cant find it........

As another poster has said I would check using a meter before replacing.

I would if I could find it.....

oh wait... the thing on the right of the photo...yes that will be it.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It does look that way. I'm not sure how the sensor works, but if a
piston or flap or it might be as simple as a piece of crud holding it open.

my plan when I found it was to hit it with a hammer for that very reason
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 18:18, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It does look that way. I'm not sure how the sensor works, but if a
piston or flap or it might be as simple as a piece of crud holding it
open.

my plan when I found it was to hit it with a hammer for that very reason

no wait that is part of the gas valve......bugger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2020 18:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

just been back down because the gas safe man couldn't come until next
week...took the valve off ...dead easy just got a exact replacement for
£41 at heat spares Govan... fitting it tomorrow.....wish me luck
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 16:38:28, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Have you inspected the unit? Does it use a rotating vane to check for
water flow?

Or is flow sensed by pressure difference in which case there will be 2
holes either side. One could be blocked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 18:23, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

they seem to have a bit of plastic inside which is hinged and I assume
makes a contact to turn on the flame when the water is flowing and
breaks when the flow stops.....there are four screws on the unit so I
will take the old one apart tomorrow ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 19:47:15, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

If it now moves freely then refit it and it may well work trouble free
for a few more years.

Why can't you test the contacts with a multimeter? You do have one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 20:05, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

It's old it has failed It was Friday I had two hours to get from Girvin
to Govan to get a new one I bought a new identical one it was only £40
I'm going to fit the new one today why fart about....yes i have loads of
multi meters I even have an AVO ......not that interested in why it
failed I'm only interested in getting the boiler to work again sorry to
disappoint you.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2020 07:01, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

that is it fixed....video to follow of the great jubilation in the van
here now we have hot water again and not just steam coming out of the
taps........tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-vx5IaMr64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7ru0QlU1gg

worchester 24i Jim GM4DHJ ... UK diy 2 June 2nd 19 11:37 AM
Bosch worchester boiler junior query Jacob[_2_] UK diy 1 January 19th 11 10:48 PM
Bosch worchester junior 24i problem Thelibrarian UK diy 1 December 15th 10 09:36 AM
Worchester Greenstar 24i Junior The Medway Handyman UK diy 8 December 31st 08 11:45 AM
Worcester 24i Combi boiler keeps cutting out Gareth UK diy 2 October 24th 04 09:41 PM