Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drain rodding

Been having drain trouble lately both at my own house and at my son's.
The only things they have in common is (i) Victorian drains and (ii)
quilted toilet paper in use. Coincidence?

Also, I have a set of drain rods but I don't have the little plunger
disk attachment that you use to suck gunge out of a blocked U-bend. If I
buy a separate disk is it guaranteed to fit my rods - IOW do they all
have a standard attachment diameter & screw thread?

--
Algernon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 13:10:00 +0100, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:

Been having drain trouble lately both at my own house and at my son's.
The only things they have in common is (i) Victorian drains and (ii)
quilted toilet paper in use. Coincidence?

Does the loo paper fall apart quickly in water? Put a couple of
sheets in a 3/4 full jar of water give it a couple of shakes and the
paper should have broken up a fair bit. If it hasn't...

Also, I have a set of drain rods but I don't have the little plunger
disk attachment that you use to suck gunge out of a blocked U-bend. If I
buy a separate disk is it guaranteed to fit my rods - IOW do they all
have a standard attachment diameter & screw thread?

Thinks so, take a rod to the shop?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Been having drain trouble lately both at my own house and at my son's.
The only things they have in common is (i) Victorian drains and (ii)
quilted toilet paper in use. Coincidence?

Also, I have a set of drain rods but I don't have the little plunger
disk attachment that you use to suck gunge out of a blocked U-bend. If I
buy a separate disk is it guaranteed to fit my rods - IOW do they all
have a standard attachment diameter & screw thread?

Generally yes, they have the same coarse thread. Where are you using your
rods? I wouldnt advise using them in you toilet u-bend if that was what
you meant. A plastic bag over a mop head makes a good safe toilet plunger.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2020 15:23, Tim+ wrote:
Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Been having drain trouble lately both at my own house and at my son's.
The only things they have in common is (i) Victorian drains and (ii)
quilted toilet paper in use. Coincidence?

Also, I have a set of drain rods but I don't have the little plunger
disk attachment that you use to suck gunge out of a blocked U-bend. If I
buy a separate disk is it guaranteed to fit my rods - IOW do they all
have a standard attachment diameter & screw thread?

Generally yes, they have the same coarse thread. Where are you using your
rods? I wouldnt advise using them in you toilet u-bend if that was what
you meant. A plastic bag over a mop head makes a good safe toilet plunger.

Tim

+1 on both.

Personally, if I have a blocked loo pan I will start by emptying it with
a wet and dry vac, that will usually get enough out of the U bend for a
single flush to work. Or, if you know it is a foreign body, then explore
after emptying with or without gloves, depending on how squeamish you are.

Are you sure it is "normal" quilted paper, or so-called "flushable wet
wipes" as deplored by all the water companies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 15:30:53 +0100, newshound wrote:

Personally, if I have a blocked loo pan I will start by emptying it with
a wet and dry vac, that will usually get enough out of the U bend for a
single flush to work. Or, if you know it is a foreign body, then explore
after emptying with or without gloves, depending on how squeamish you
are.

Well aimed and fairly rapid pour of a bucket full of water straight
into the bottom of the pan has always worked for me. A sort of super
flush. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound posted
On 05/08/2020 15:23, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

It's the external (underground) drain, not the toilet.

Or, if you know it is a foreign body, then explore after emptying with
or without gloves, depending on how squeamish you are.

Are you sure it is "normal" quilted paper, or so-called "flushable wet
wipes" as deplored by all the water companies.

It's not wet wipes. But it's more substantial than normal bog-paper, as
measured on the standard finger-through-the-paper scale.

--
Algernon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Aug 2020 16:37:28 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 15:30:53 +0100, newshound wrote:

Personally, if I have a blocked loo pan I will start by emptying it
with a wet and dry vac, that will usually get enough out of the U bend
for a single flush to work. Or, if you know it is a foreign body, then
explore after emptying with or without gloves, depending on how
squeamish you are.

Well aimed and fairly rapid pour of a bucket full of water straight into
the bottom of the pan has always worked for me. A sort of super flush.
B-)

Yes, and do it from a height. (I am tall but SWMBO stands on a chair)

Another trick, if that fails, is an old fashioned mop. Cover it in a
stout plastic bad and cable tie that on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 17:20:23 UTC+1, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
newshound posted
On 05/08/2020 15:23, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

not cut kitchen towels by any chance? The covid scare made them the only thing available sometimes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 13:10:00 +0100, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:

Been having drain trouble lately both at my own house and at my son's.
The only things they have in common is (i) Victorian drains and (ii)
quilted toilet paper in use. Coincidence?

Does the loo paper fall apart quickly in water? Put a couple of
sheets in a 3/4 full jar of water give it a couple of shakes and the
paper should have broken up a fair bit. If it hasn't...

Also, I have a set of drain rods but I don't have the little plunger
disk attachment that you use to suck gunge out of a blocked U-bend. If I
buy a separate disk is it guaranteed to fit my rods - IOW do they all
have a standard attachment diameter & screw thread?

Thinks so, take a rod to the shop?

The two different sets I had at one time would fit together.
--
bert

Broken rodding point Tricky Dicky[_4_] UK diy 0 August 30th 15 09:15 PM
Soil pipe - rodding point or vent? News UK diy 15 April 30th 15 06:44 AM
Adding soil pipe elbow rodding point Dave Liquorice[_3_] UK diy 3 June 6th 12 03:26 PM
bends and rodding sm_jamieson UK diy 0 March 16th 08 04:53 PM
rodding access Martin Carroll UK diy 2 October 22nd 05 08:11 AM