Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing Paint

This is the sort of job I really don't enjoy, but hey.

It's paint on an external brick wall, a skin of emulsion like paint on top of
rock hard masonry paint. It scratches off with a finger nail, but is
annoyingly hard to remove from this large area (about 60m2). It's just this
skin of paint I want to remove - I'll take my chances on what's underneath
when I come to repaint the walls.

I've tried most abrasive sander type options - they all work, but it's going
to be slow and dusty. Might chemicals be a better idea? Any/all ideas welcome
. .

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:25:32 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

This is the sort of job I really don't enjoy, but hey.

It's paint on an external brick wall, a skin of emulsion like paint on top of
rock hard masonry paint. It scratches off with a finger nail, but is
annoyingly hard to remove from this large area (about 60m2). It's just this
skin of paint I want to remove - I'll take my chances on what's underneath
when I come to repaint the walls.

I've tried most abrasive sander type options - they all work, but it's going
to be slow and dusty. Might chemicals be a better idea? Any/all ideas welcome
. .

Tried brick cleaner from your local builder's merchants? You can get
5L of the stuff quite cheaply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:25:32 +0000 (UTC), RJH wrote:

It's paint on an external brick wall, a skin of emulsion like paint on
top of rock hard masonry paint. It scratches off with a finger nail, but
is annoyingly hard to remove from this large area (about 60m2). It's
just this skin of paint I want to remove - I'll take my chances on
what's underneath when I come to repaint the walls.

Pressure washer. Will remove anything remotely loose. Messy though,
put a tarpualin on the ground under where you are working and a
couple yards each side. Also one behind you to contain (most of) the
flying bits.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2020 13:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:25:32 +0000 (UTC), RJH wrote:

It's paint on an external brick wall, a skin of emulsion like paint on
top of rock hard masonry paint. It scratches off with a finger nail, but
is annoyingly hard to remove from this large area (about 60m2).

Pressure washer.

Good excuse to buy one!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2020 13:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:25:32 +0000 (UTC), RJH wrote:

It's paint on an external brick wall, a skin of emulsion like paint on
top of rock hard masonry paint. It scratches off with a finger nail, but
is annoyingly hard to remove from this large area (about 60m2). It's
just this skin of paint I want to remove - I'll take my chances on
what's underneath when I come to repaint the walls.

Pressure washer. Will remove anything remotely loose. Messy though,
put a tarpualin on the ground under where you are working and a
couple yards each side. Also one behind you to contain (most of) the
flying bits.

Good thinking!

I used one on an old boat some years ago to dislodge barnacles and
everything but had to stop when it started to delaminate some of the
fibreglass.

Not all pressure washers are the same. A £50 lidle tool is unlikely to
help. You might hire a petrol powered one.

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 20:07:23 +0100, TimW wrote:

I used one on an old boat some years ago to dislodge barnacles and
everything but had to stop when it started to delaminate some of the
fibreglass.

B-) Even a small pressure washer can be pretty vicious, especially
if there are any nooks and crannies for the jet to get into.

Not all pressure washers are the same. A £50 lidle tool is unlikely to
help. You might hire a petrol powered one.

I used a "medium" sized domestic Karcher with the rotating needle jet
at about two inch range. 1.4 kW, max 100 bar, 5.5 l/min it says on
the label. To save hoiking it, mains and hose up the scaffolding I
got a 5 m high pressure extension hose.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Aug 2020 at 21:14:15 BST, ""Dave Liquorice""
wrote:

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 20:07:23 +0100, TimW wrote:

I used one on an old boat some years ago to dislodge barnacles and
everything but had to stop when it started to delaminate some of the
fibreglass.

B-) Even a small pressure washer can be pretty vicious, especially
if there are any nooks and crannies for the jet to get into.

Not all pressure washers are the same. A £50 lidle tool is unlikely to
help. You might hire a petrol powered one.

I used a "medium" sized domestic Karcher with the rotating needle jet
at about two inch range. 1.4 kW, max 100 bar, 5.5 l/min it says on
the label. To save hoiking it, mains and hose up the scaffolding I
got a 5 m high pressure extension hose.

Thanks - I've borrowed a mate's Makita HW101, and that seems to do what I need
it to do. And insofar as such a thing is possible, it's almost enjoyable :-)

Points taken about covering and safety kit - it's certainly creating a mess.
There's not too much at eaves height (about 6m) - I'll cross that bridge at
some point.

--
Cheers, Rob