Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating a pan handle

I have a nice old cast iron casserole dish with a solid cast iron loop
handle on the lid. Even when used on the hob the handle gets too hot to
handle.

Id like to wrap it in something oven proof to make it easier to handle.
Asbestos string? ;-). Hopefully theres a safer substitute for this.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
I have a nice old cast iron casserole dish with a solid cast iron loop
handle on the lid. Even when used on the hob the handle gets too hot to
handle.

I?d like to wrap it in something oven proof to make it easier to handle.
Asbestos string? ;-). Hopefully there?s a safer substitute for this.

Tim

Oven glove....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 19:08:39 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
I have a nice old cast iron casserole dish with a solid cast iron loop
handle on the lid. Even when used on the hob the handle gets too hot to
handle.

Id like to wrap it in something oven proof to make it easier to handle.
Asbestos string? ;-). Hopefully theres a safer substitute for this.

Tim

How about some sort of silicone? Perhaps in the form of a cord or string or whatever.

For a pan not to be used in the oven, ordinary string would likely be fine. But in the oven, no.

Several such products on Etsy - though probably many other sources.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 19:10:15 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

I'd like to wrap it in something oven proof to make it easier to
handle. Asbestos string? ;-). Hopefully there's a safer substitute

for
this.

Oven glove....

My first thought as well. Though finding decent gaunlet type oven
gloves can be a bit of a challenge.

Was sort of thinking that cotton string would do, ignition temp of
cotton is 200C and a casserole dish isn't like to be used at that
temperature,
Not sure how long it would last though with repeated heating/washing
cycles.

Perhaps small dia stove rope would be better? Quick google indicates
that 3mm dia is out there.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 19:10:15 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

I'd like to wrap it in something oven proof to make it easier to
handle. Asbestos string? ;-). Hopefully there's a safer substitute

for
this.

Oven glove....

My first thought as well. Though finding decent gaunlet type oven
gloves can be a bit of a challenge.

Was sort of thinking that cotton string would do, ignition temp of
cotton is 200C and a casserole dish isn't like to be used at that
temperature,
Not sure how long it would last though with repeated heating/washing
cycles.

Perhaps small dia stove rope would be better? Quick google indicates
that 3mm dia is out there.

Ah ha! Thats exactly what I want. 99 pences worth of the stuff winging
its way to me now.

Many thanks.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 23:28:30 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Not sure I'd want an unbound fibreglass handle.
A padded cotton sleeve that slides on & off easily would work.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes anything that is added to it would spoil the look. The other option is
make it into a feature somewhere in the house and do the real cooking with
something more modern and less likely to burn you!
I often wonder if the folk in the old days had asbestos hands. You could
just use a cloth to pick it up, I do this for hot things, but the cloth
needs to be non flammable if you cook on an open flame.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Tim+ Wrote in message:
I have a nice old cast iron casserole dish with a solid cast iron loop
handle on the lid. Even when used on the hob the handle gets too hot to
handle.

I?d like to wrap it in something oven proof to make it easier to handle.
Asbestos string? ;-). Hopefully there?s a safer substitute for this.

Tim

Oven glove....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 07:46:16 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

How would you make it stay attached though?

I'm leaving that for the OP to work out, be interesting to hear what
he come up with. I know what I'd do. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
I have a nice old cast iron casserole dish with a solid cast iron loop
handle on the lid. Even when used on the hob the handle gets too hot to
handle.

I'd like to wrap it in something oven proof to make it easier to handle.
Asbestos string? ;-). Hopefully there's a safer substitute for this.

This doesn't sound that different to other cast iron posts and pans which
must present similar difficulties. However - as its a loop handle are you sure
you're not supposed to push something through the loop - quite possibly
the sort of implement that regularly turns up on "what were these used for"
queries. and lift the lid that way ? For a one off use I'd be tempted to use
a large screwdriver or similar but ideally you need a heel at the end
which would both fit through the loop and by engaging on the lid be useful
in levering the lid on and off. Two pieces of wood in other words.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

Well of corse there are any number of ways of lifting a pan lid off but
sometimes when Im in a hurry I forget that the handle gets very hot, even
when used over the lowest flame on the hob if its been on a while. Just
be nice to be able to pick it up safely by hand.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:09:59 +0100, michael adams wrote:

For a one off use I'd be tempted to use a large screwdriver or similar
but ideally you need a heel at the end which would both fit through the
loop and by engaging on the lid be useful in levering the lid on and
off. Two pieces of wood in other words.

Better still make something based on the proper thing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382929592570

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2020 10:24, Tim+ wrote:

Well of corse there are any number of ways of lifting a pan lid off but
sometimes when Im in a hurry I forget that the handle gets very hot, even
when used over the lowest flame on the hob if its been on a while.

That's nature's way of telling you that you are an old dog. DAMHIK (

Just
be nice to be able to pick it up safely by hand.

Depends on the size of the loop but on my cast iron casserole with a
loop handle adding any significant thickness to the handle would pretty
well guarantee the back of my fingers touched the (marginally even
hotter?) body of the lid.

If all else fails there's high temperature paint and a "HOT" stencil

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 10:24:29 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

That is one of the reasons I really appreciate induction hobs. Virtually no spill of heat up the sides. Recently used a gas hob a few times and that has re-confirmed I would never voluntarily go back to gas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

That is one of the reasons I really appreciate induction hobs. Virtually
no spill of heat up the sides. Recently used a gas hob a few times and
that has re-confirmed I would never voluntarily go back to gas.

True, but on the lowest gas setting on the smallest burner the lid is only
really getting heated by steam inside the pan. Im sure after an hour on an
induction hob the lid would probably be just as hot.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 15:27:01 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:

That is one of the reasons I really appreciate induction hobs. Virtually
no spill of heat up the sides. Recently used a gas hob a few times and
that has re-confirmed I would never voluntarily go back to gas.

True, but on the lowest gas setting on the smallest burner the lid is only
really getting heated by steam inside the pan. Im sure after an hour on an
induction hob the lid would probably be just as hot.

Tim

The lid would be - but the side handles are much hotter over even a very low gas ring.

I regularly cook a soup using one particular large pan with small D handles.. On induction, I can pick the pan up by them even when it has been cooking for an hour. Over gas, I had to progressively move it from large, to medium, to small burner (on lowest possible flame) in order to achieve a very gentle simmer. And the D handles were too hot to willingly touch let alone pick up the pan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

About 100 Deg C maybe?

And you think on induction your pan doesn't get as hot, but the
soup magically does? :-D

On a gas ring, hot, even very hot, gases stream up the side of the pan and heat the handles. Typically, the inside of the pan, above the food/water level, gets considerably hotter than 100C.

On an induction hob, the contents can be simmering at very close to 100C, but virtually no heat from below the pan comes up at all. Just whatever airflow is caused by a fairly hot pan surface. The pan contents get hot because the base of the pan gets hot.

If you look at pans with bakelite or other plastic handles, you can usually tell those which were used on gas hobs due to heat damage. Those used on induction look pristine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

That sounds unlikely to me...
you know this because?

On an induction hob, the contents can be simmering at very close to 100C, but virtually no heat from below the pan comes up at all. Just whatever airflow is caused by a fairly hot pan surface. The pan contents get hot because the base of the pan gets hot.

But magically not the connected sides of the pan, connected to the
base & in contact with the contents? Rriigghhtt...

If you look at pans with bakelite or other plastic handles, you can usually tell those which were used on gas hobs due to heat damage. Those used on induction look pristine.

Because some fool has used the pan on an oversized gas ring(s) &
literally burnt it's edges /handles...

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

"In terms of energy use, research generally indicates that induction hobs are cheaper to run, with induction hobs proving to be 74% efficient in converting energy to heat, using 57% less energy than gas hobs."

https://www.uswitch.com/energy-savin...cient-cooking/

So where does the extra energy used by a gas hob go? Hint, most of it flows as hot air (and burned gas) up the sides of any pan sitting on the ring. Hitting any pan handles as it goes.

Bakelite will eventually deteriorate due to this. One gentle use has little impact. Repeated use over years becomes obvious.

It is quite obvious if you compare the food in two pans - one heated by induction the other by gas.

Induction makes the food towards the bottom heat up and convection and stirring distribute it.

Gas heats the bottom of the pan, that much is similar, but you will also see that spatters inside the pan tend to cook on because the whole side of the pan is heated. You can often see a ring of fairly well caked-on food at about the liquid level in the pan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

The cord arrived today. Its very soft and silky but of course it might
still be irritating.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wZ46hH8unMjYL8Ag8

Wondering about oiling it and putting it in a hot oven to create a sort of
€śvarnish€ť to seal the fibres.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 August 2020 18:01:59 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:

"In terms of energy use, research generally indicates that induction hobs are cheaper to run, with induction hobs proving to be 74% efficient in converting energy to heat, using 57% less energy than gas hobs."

Makes no sense, electrickery is 4x the cost of gas per unit.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 7 August 2020 18:01:59 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:

"In terms of energy use, research generally indicates that induction hobs are cheaper
to run, with induction hobs proving to be 74% efficient in converting energy to heat,
using 57% less energy than gas hobs."

Makes no sense, electrickery is 4x the cost of gas per unit.

I've just had a brainwave.

Presumably with gas the problem is that a lot of the energy is wasted in heating
the air gap beween the gas jets and the bottom of the pan. More especially
as the jests are arranged in a circle around the outside and and so theres
plenty of scope for heating the surrounding air.

Supposing instead there was one central gas jet directed upwards at the
centre of the pan. This would need to be governed by a circular ring on which
the pan would sit, to prevent the gas jet setting fire to the celing.
The thickness profiles of the bottoms of pans to be used in this way
would probably need to be adusted. Possibly thicker in the middle

michael adams

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 08:28:03 +0100, michael adams wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Saw a kettle for camping that had a 'skirt' with some gaps, so that the
stove could be set to a smallish flame and the hot gasses were held
underneath to some extent. I don't know how well it worked.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Indeed. But in that case probably it was just as much to prevent the
flame being blown out by the wind,

But as a follow up to my idea above it might be an idea for all
the pots and pans to have a concave bottom with the edge of the
pan resting on the safety ring.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 09:44:11 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Saw a kettle for camping that had a 'skirt' with some gaps, so that the
stove could be set to a smallish flame and the hot gasses were held
underneath to some extent. I don't know how well it worked.

.... or a pot with heat exchanger fins on the bottom. i.e.:

https://classiccampstoves.com/attachments/1258677725-img_5137_opt-jpg.93507/

"Primus Eta Pot"

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:50:38 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

How about some sort of silicone?

'e

Lodge Hot Holder-Red Heat Protecting Silicone Cast Iron Skillets with Keyhole
Handle, 5-5/8" L x 2" W

More information: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QM8W5S/

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Aug 2020 22:13:24 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Though finding decent gaunlet type oven
gloves can be a bit of a challenge.

Much better quality than oven mitts at a muchly similar price: welders' gloves,
i.e. Weldas gauntlet, and get a lined one, like "Weldas Tig Gauntlets Large"...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Though finding decent gaunlet type oven
gloves can be a bit of a challenge.

Much better quality than oven mitts at a muchly similar price: welders' gloves,
i.e. Weldas gauntlet, and get a lined one, like "Weldas Tig Gauntlets Large"...

Thomas Prufer

I have a Mastrad Orka which works for me. I always put it on my left-hand and use a tea-towel for my right, if anything else is needed.

My original Orka did eventually split but the new one seems more sturdy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Aug 2020 11:59:17 +0200, Thomas Prufer wrote:

Though finding decent gaunlet type oven gloves can be a bit of a
challenge.

Much better quality than oven mitts at a muchly similar price: welders'
gloves, i.e. Weldas gauntlet, and get a lined one, like "Weldas Tig
Gauntlets Large"...

Hum, never having done any welding (did woodwork at school) I've
always assumed welding gloves where just to protect from hot spatter,
sparks etc rather than enable you to pick up and hold with your whole
hands and carry something fairly heavy with a surface temp well over
100 C.

They might be a bit too "industrial" for the management.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2020 20:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 08 Aug 2020 11:59:17 +0200, Thomas Prufer wrote:

Though finding decent gaunlet type oven gloves can be a bit of a
challenge.

Much better quality than oven mitts at a muchly similar price: welders'
gloves, i.e. Weldas gauntlet, and get a lined one, like "Weldas Tig
Gauntlets Large"...

Hum, never having done any welding (did woodwork at school) I've
always assumed welding gloves where just to protect from hot spatter,
sparks etc rather than enable you to pick up and hold with your whole
hands and carry something fairly heavy with a surface temp well over
100 C.

+1 (or should that be +100 C when taking the cast iron gratin from under
the grill?)

and then there's how they deal with getting wet

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Aug 2020 20:13:51 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Hum, never having done any welding (did woodwork at school) I've
always assumed welding gloves where just to protect from hot spatter,
sparks etc rather than enable you to pick up and hold with your whole
hands and carry something fairly heavy with a surface temp well over
100 C.

I use cotton-lined leather gauntlets by Weldas, and they handle picking up and
carrying easily. They also handle reaching into a charcoal fire and rearranging
the charcoal. Liquids and grease do not penetrate quickly enough for it to be
problem. There is enough advance warning so that putting what you are carrying
down, and removing the gloves can be done leisurely.

The combination of grease, fire, charcoal, and use does make them look a bit
industrial. However, there's an indoor pair for the stove, and an outdoor pair
for fire and grill:-)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

RTV Silicone is quite happy at 200C and would probably take to the stove
rope nicely. You can get higher temperature Silicone for cookers too,
the only one I've seen is rust red.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 19:08, Tim+ wrote:
I have a nice old cast iron casserole dish with a solid cast iron loop
handle on the lid. Even when used on the hob the handle gets too hot to
handle.

Id like to wrap it in something oven proof to make it easier to handle.
Asbestos string? ;-). Hopefully theres a safer substitute for this.

Tim

High temperature self-amalgamating tape.

--
Cheers
Clive