DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   40m2 block paving. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/678371-40m2-block-paving.html)

Mr Sandman[_6_] August 4th 20 06:14 PM

40m2 block paving.

Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

williamwright August 4th 20 11:20 PM

40m2 block paving.

On 04/08/2020 18:14, Mr Sandman wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

Gravel. Not pebbles. I've just done one 35 sq metres and it's fine. I
put 8" of stone down, whacked it, and then 2" of gravel. Very cheap.
Gravel size is 15 - 20mm. It's crushed gravel, very angular, so it it
doesn't move much under foot or wheel. Pebbles are dreadful though for
moving; wheels just sort of plough through. Slate is no good because it
breaks under a wheel and eventually it's just a lot of little bits.

Don't forget to put ducting in for lights, CCTV, etc.

Bill

John Rumm August 4th 20 11:54 PM

40m2 block paving.

On 04/08/2020 18:14, Mr Sandman wrote:

Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This
is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I
can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

You could DIY the paving (its a fairly easy job), but material costs
will still come more than 1k I would have thought.

--
Cheers,

John.

Michael Chare[_4_] August 5th 20 12:02 AM

40m2 block paving.

On 04/08/2020 18:14, Mr Sandman wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

If the area is grass at the moment there are green plastic grids that
you can use. I don't know about wear.

--
Michael Chare

[email protected] August 5th 20 12:15 AM

40m2 block paving.

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 18:14:49 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

DIY?

newshound August 5th 20 10:09 AM

40m2 block paving.

On 05/08/2020 00:15, wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 18:14:49 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

DIY?

Except that it is quite hard to do well, and dodgy paviours look awful.
Good old Type 1 MOT is probably the cheapest, but look for someone local
with a decent reputation. I trust the OP has looked at Paving Expert?

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 5th 20 10:45 AM

40m2 block paving.

On 05/08/2020 10:09, newshound wrote:
On 05/08/2020 00:15, wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 18:14:49 UTC+1, Mr SandmanÂ* wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This
is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I
can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

DIY?

Except that it is quite hard to do well, and dodgy paviours look awful.
Good old Type 1 MOT is probably the cheapest, but look for someone local
with a decent reputation. I trust the OP has looked at Paving Expert?

Type 1 MOT will eventually grass over* if left for years, but will
support a car very well as it is free draining.

*except where the cars wear tracks

Josef Stalin

Andrew[_22_] August 5th 20 11:17 AM

40m2 block paving.

On 04/08/2020 23:20, williamwright wrote:
On 04/08/2020 18:14, Mr Sandman wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This
is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I can
do it with that will support a car for parking on?

Gravel. Not pebbles. I've just done one 35 sq metres and it's fine. I
put 8" of stone down, whacked it, and then 2" of gravel. Very cheap.
Gravel size is 15 - 20mm. It's crushed gravel, very angular, so it it
doesn't move much under foot or wheel. Pebbles are dreadful though for
moving; wheels just sort of plough through. Slate is no good because it
breaks under a wheel and eventually it's just a lot of little bits.

Don't forget to put ducting in for lights, CCTV, etc.

Bill

Definately don't use limestone chippings.

Andrew[_22_] August 5th 20 11:20 AM

40m2 block paving.

On 04/08/2020 23:54, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2020 18:14, Mr Sandman wrote:

Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This
is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I
can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

You could DIY the paving (its a fairly easy job), but material costs
will still come more than 1k I would have thought.

Better quality blocks will be £25/sq metre alone, plus edging,
drainage, sub-base, sharp sand, kiln-dried sand.

Chris J Dixon August 5th 20 02:23 PM

40m2 block paving.

newshound wrote:

On 05/08/2020 00:15, wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 18:14:49 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

Except that it is quite hard to do well, and dodgy paviours look awful.
Good old Type 1 MOT is probably the cheapest, but look for someone local
with a decent reputation. I trust the OP has looked at Paving Expert?

Some councils now frown on loose materials where they may wash
onto the carriageway.

With pavers there can also be planning issues with drainage
provision.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

GB[_6_] August 5th 20 03:44 PM

40m2 block paving.

On 04/08/2020 23:20, williamwright wrote:
On 04/08/2020 18:14, Mr Sandman wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This
is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I can
do it with that will support a car for parking on?

Gravel. Not pebbles. I've just done one 35 sq metres and it's fine. I
put 8" of stone down, whacked it, and then 2" of gravel. Very cheap.

You'd need 7 cu m of crushed stone. Weight is 11 tons. Can you tell us
more about how you did this job, please? Where you got the materials?
Delivered in bulk bags or a tipper truck? How did you move the material?

Andrew[_22_] August 5th 20 06:33 PM

40m2 block paving.

On 05/08/2020 14:23, Chris J Dixon wrote:
newshound wrote:

On 05/08/2020 00:15, wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 18:14:49 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

Except that it is quite hard to do well, and dodgy paviours look awful.
Good old Type 1 MOT is probably the cheapest, but look for someone local
with a decent reputation. I trust the OP has looked at Paving Expert?

Some councils now frown on loose materials where they may wash
onto the carriageway.

With pavers there can also be planning issues with drainage
provision.

Chris

If your drive slopes towards the highway, you are supposed
to install a proper soakaawy or drainage to stop rainwater
ending up in the LA's drainage systems.

John Rumm August 5th 20 08:20 PM

40m2 block paving.

On 05/08/2020 11:20, Andrew wrote:
On 04/08/2020 23:54, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2020 18:14, Mr Sandman wrote:

Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area.
This is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart
solution I can do it with that will support a car for parking
on?

You could DIY the paving (its a fairly easy job), but material
costs will still come more than 1k I would have thought.

Better quality blocks will be £25/sq metre alone,

If you go for "better quality", something like a bog standard bradstone
"brindle" 50mm deep block, then its about £15/m

plus edging,

Unless you particularly want a raised edge, then just bed on normal blocks.

drainage, sub-base, sharp sand,

Yup. Aggregates are much cheaper if you buy them loose.

kiln-dried sand.

You don't need much of that for 40 m^2

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm August 5th 20 08:29 PM

40m2 block paving.

On 05/08/2020 00:15, wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 18:14:49 UTC+1, Mr SandmanÂ* wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This
is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I
can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

DIY?

Except that it is quite hard to do well

TBH I did not find it that difficult. So long as you do proper edgings,
and compact things well.

, and dodgy paviours look awful.
Good old Type 1 MOT is probably the cheapest,

Road scalpings are probably cheaper if you want *really* basic.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

newshound August 5th 20 09:27 PM

40m2 block paving.

On 05/08/2020 00:15, wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 18:14:49 UTC+1, Mr SandmanÂ* wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This
is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I
can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

DIY?

Except that it is quite hard to do well, and dodgy paviours look
awful. Good old Type 1 MOT is probably the cheapest, but look for
someone local with a decent reputation. I trust the OP has looked at
Paving Expert?

Type 1 MOT will eventually grass over* if left for years, but will
support a car very well as it is free draining.

*except where the cars wear tracks

I've been surprised how well my stable yard has remained virtually weed
free. That doesn't see all that much vehicular traffic, and the equines
don't eat most weeds. Roundup of course cures everything.

williamwright August 7th 20 04:14 AM

40m2 block paving.

On 05/08/2020 15:44, GB wrote:
On 04/08/2020 23:20, williamwright wrote:
On 04/08/2020 18:14, Mr Sandman wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This
is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I
can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

Gravel. Not pebbles. I've just done one 35 sq metres and it's fine. I
put 8" of stone down, whacked it, and then 2" of gravel. Very cheap.

You'd need 7 cu m of crushed stone. Weight is 11 tons. Can you tell us
more about how you did this job, please? Where you got the materials?
Delivered in bulk bags or a tipper truck? How did you move the material?

Took a four wheel tipper trailer to AP Paving (near the job) for both
the stone base and the gravel. Made umpteen trips. Luckily no steep
hills on the way back! Used a mini-digger on site to unload and
partially spread. Petrol-engined wacker. Final spreading manually using
a big asphalt rake.

In general it seems to be much cheaper to go to the quarry or sandpit
and get them to drop it into the trailer than buy in bags from a
builders' merchant.

Only real problem was that the battery on the tipper wasn't getting
charged for some reason so I had to charge it with a battery charger.

Bill

williamwright August 7th 20 04:19 AM

40m2 block paving.

On 05/08/2020 00:02, Michael Chare wrote:
On 04/08/2020 18:14, Mr Sandman wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This
is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I can
do it with that will support a car for parking on?

If the area is grass at the moment there are green plastic grids that
you can use. I don't know about wear.

I did a small area of these. Got it from a place in Chesterfield on
Broombank Rd I think. Very good. Did a nice job.

Bill

harry August 8th 20 08:27 AM

40m2 block paving.

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 18:14:49 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
Had a quote for between 2.2k and 3.4k for blocking a 40m2 area. This is beyond my means. Is there another, cheaper but smart solution I can do it with that will support a car for parking on?

This is a DIY site so DIY. I put down about 100m2 a few years back.
Quite cheap as a DIY project.

There are various block thicknesses.