Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pipes under plaster

Over 15 years ago, I renovated the downstairs toilet cubicle and decided to bury the copper pipework within the wall. I cut out channels in the wall, IIRC without reaching getting to the depth of red-brick. I then plumbed in new 15mm pipes (hot and cold) to feed the sink and WC, before plastering over.

I'm just curious to know the kind of lifespan to be expected from burying pipes in this way. Will the pipes begin to corrode/oxidise and eventually leak ?

There's been damp on the external facing wall for a while in the cold feed area for the toilet. This seems to be getting worse lately. I reckon that the cold water in the pipe might have cooled down that area and the resulting condensation has slowly got worse over the years. Idon't think there's a leak; surely that would be far more apparent (?).

Any comments on this appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We had a gas leak in a pipe buried in plaster, I only detected it because gas was coming out of a socket that the pipe ran close to. Turned out it was a soldered joint that had given having lasted 33 years. The gas engineer who sorted it told me that chemicals in the plaster react with the lead/tin solder. I do believe running gas pipes in plaster is now discouraged but if it cannot be avoided they should be sleeved.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
We had a gas leak in a pipe buried in plaster, I only detected it because gas was coming out of a socket that the pipe ran close to. Turned out it was a soldered joint that had given having lasted 33 years. The gas engineer who sorted it told me that chemicals in the plaster react with the lead/tin solder. I do believe running gas pipes in plaster is now discouraged but if it cannot be avoided they should be sleeved.

Richard

Yup. I watched a gas bloke installing the new run to a relocated
job, pipes chased into wall, wrapped in some thick tape (denso)
before plasterer covered them up.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tricky
Dicky wrote:
We had a gas leak in a pipe buried in plaster, I only detected it because
gas was coming out of a socket that the pipe ran close to. Turned out it
was a soldered joint that had given having lasted 33 years. The gas
engineer who sorted it told me that chemicals in the plaster react with
the lead/tin solder. I do believe running gas pipes in plaster is now
discouraged but if it cannot be avoided they should be sleeved.

same applies to copper water pipes.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles Wrote in message:
In article , Tricky
Dicky wrote:
We had a gas leak in a pipe buried in plaster, I only detected it because
gas was coming out of a socket that the pipe ran close to. Turned out it
was a soldered joint that had given having lasted 33 years. The gas
engineer who sorted it told me that chemicals in the plaster react with
the lead/tin solder. I do believe running gas pipes in plaster is now
discouraged but if it cannot be avoided they should be sleeved.

same applies to copper water pipes.

Presumably why it's been mentioned?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 15:26, Jimk wrote:
charles Wrote in message:
In article , Tricky
Dicky wrote:
We had a gas leak in a pipe buried in plaster, I only detected it because
gas was coming out of a socket that the pipe ran close to. Turned out it
was a soldered joint that had given having lasted 33 years. The gas
engineer who sorted it told me that chemicals in the plaster react with
the lead/tin solder. I do believe running gas pipes in plaster is now
discouraged but if it cannot be avoided they should be sleeved.

same applies to copper water pipes.

Presumably why it's been mentioned?

The problem witb water pipes is if they carry hot water
for a basin, they expand and might end up cracking the
plaster. I thought gypsum plaster was corrosive to copper?.

Surely only females have an obsession with not seeing any
pipes anywhere ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 13:23, cf-leeds wrote:
Over 15 years ago, I renovated the downstairs toilet cubicle and decided to bury the copper pipework within the wall. I cut out channels in the wall, IIRC without reaching getting to the depth of red-brick. I then plumbed in new 15mm pipes (hot and cold) to feed the sink and WC, before plastering over.

I'm just curious to know the kind of lifespan to be expected from burying pipes in this way. Will the pipes begin to corrode/oxidise and eventually leak ?

Depends whether or not you protected them from the plaster. Normally,
you would wrap the pipes in something like Denso tape first:

https://www.denso-group.com/en/produ...vention-tapes/

Running them inside plastic conduit also works. Without either of those
precautions, their life will be limited.

There's been damp on the external facing wall for a while in the cold feed area for the toilet. This seems to be getting worse lately. I reckon that the cold water in the pipe might have cooled down that area and the resulting condensation has slowly got worse over the years. Idon't think there's a leak; surely that would be far more apparent (?).

Not necessarily, but condensation is also a very likely cause. In one of
my factory lavatories the floor constantly had a damp patch due to
condensation on the cistern feed.

--
Colin Bignell

Can I re-use old horse-hair plaster as filler to re-plaster walls? Mearlyn Home Repair 8 March 31st 14 10:37 PM
Attaching Plaster Board to err Plaster Board AJ UK diy 5 May 27th 08 04:22 PM
Plaster washers for lath and plaster repair atticus UK diy 1 August 21st 06 06:28 PM
Pipes in plaster brumster UK diy 0 April 25th 05 08:44 PM
Paint over plaster. How to remove without damaging plaster. Zymurgy UK diy 6 August 28th 03 11:23 AM