Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default more car trouble

If it's not one thing it is another just came off the M77 onto the M8
and the wipers just stopped !...torrential rain....on a bit of the
motorway with no hard shoulder...smart motorway I think the call it well
I call it STUPID and deadly...so I kept going and got home with them not
working...so another trip to the scrappy required.....I can hear the
motor so probably one of the linkage ball in nylon sockets
failed.....110,0000 miles so I suppose this is to be expected.....mutter
mutter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 10:57, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
If it's not one thing it is another just came off the M77 onto the M8
and the wipers just stopped !...torrential rain....on a bit of the
motorway with no hard shoulder...smart motorway I think the call it well
I call it STUPID and deadly...so I kept going and got home with them not
working...so another trip to the scrappy required.....I can hear the
motor so probably one of the linkage ball in nylon sockets
failed.....110,0000 miles so I suppose this is to be expected.....mutter
mutter

Old crocks should not be allowed on motorways, and
nor should their vehicles :-)

What is rain ?. Can we have some in Sussex ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 10:57, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
If it's not one thing it is another just came off the M77 onto the M8
and the wipers just stopped !...torrential rain....on a bit of the
motorway with no hard shoulder...smart motorway I think the call it well
I call it STUPID and deadly...so I kept going and got home with them not
working...so another trip to the scrappy required.....I can hear the
motor so probably one of the linkage ball in nylon sockets
failed.....110,0000 miles so I suppose this is to be expected.....mutter
mutter

On the Fiat Punto, the wiper linkage is just a push fit. It just drops
off after a bit of wear that coincides with the end of the warranty.

I drilled a hole and added a washer and split pin. That was good for
another 6-7 years, at which point the plastic gear lever linkage snapped
inside the gearbox. So did my temper, and it went to the scrappy with
only 60k miles on the clock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 16:06, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 04/08/2020 15:50, Andrew wrote:
On 04/08/2020 10:57, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
If it's not one thing it is another just came off the M77 onto the M8
and the wipers just stopped !...torrential rain....on a bit of the
motorway with no hard shoulder...smart motorway I think the call it
well I call it STUPID and deadly...so I kept going and got home with
them not working...so another trip to the scrappy required.....I can
hear the motor so probably one of the linkage ball in nylon sockets
failed.....110,0000 miles so I suppose this is to be
expected.....mutter mutter

Old crocks should not be allowed on motorways, and
nor should their vehicles :-)

What is rain ?. Can we have some in Sussex ?.

no...it's OURS

There was time when garages went round and oiled or greased
thinks like door striker plates and bonnet release catches etc
when they serviced a car, but I don't think anyone bothers now,
so the owner has to do it.

I once allowed my battery to go flat because the microswitch
in the A pillar that detects door-open had gone sticky, so I didn't
get the 'lights on' chirrup as I got out and locked it.
A quick squirt with some comma spray grease and all was well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think they are right. Usually after the third break they will
start thinking about dragging that blue platic stuff inside the
existing ?cast-iron mains pipes.

On 04/08/2020 16:24, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes we need some in Surrey too.
The local water main has burst in five places, they are blaming it on the
drying out of the clay under the road.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 16:24, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes we need some in Surrey too.
The local water main has burst in five places, they are blaming it on the
drying out of the clay under the road.
Brian

you English and your shrinkable clays...none up here ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 16:25, GB wrote:
On 04/08/2020 10:57, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
If it's not one thing it is another just came off the M77 onto the M8
and the wipers just stopped !...torrential rain....on a bit of the
motorway with no hard shoulder...smart motorway I think the call it
well I call it STUPID and deadly...so I kept going and got home with
them not working...so another trip to the scrappy required.....I can
hear the motor so probably one of the linkage ball in nylon sockets
failed.....110,0000 miles so I suppose this is to be
expected.....mutter mutter

On the Fiat Punto, the wiper linkage is just a push fit. It just drops
off after a bit of wear that coincides with the end of the warranty.

yes should be like that.....

I drilled a hole and added a washer and split pin. That was good for
another 6-7 years, at which point the plastic gear lever linkage snapped
inside the gearbox. So did my temper, and it went to the scrappy with
only 60k miles on the clock.

oh dear....well that is Italian engineering for you,,,,,I had a
cinquecento and the engine mount and the seat adjuster broke...won't
ever buy another

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Aug 2020 16:36:00 +0100, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

On 04/08/2020 16:25, GB wrote:
[...]

I had a car once that had nylon bushes holding the wiper shafts through
the bulkhead and having been sprayed with WD40 swelled up and jammed the
shafts solid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 16:55, Jimk wrote:
"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
On 04/08/2020 16:24, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes we need some in Surrey too.
The local water main has burst in five places, they are blaming it on the
drying out of the clay under the road.
Brian

you English and your shrinkable clays...none up here ...

Just rain & rust...

Get some nice veggies growing on the West Coast of Scotland though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 16:55, Jimk wrote:
"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
On 04/08/2020 16:24, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes we need some in Surrey too.
The local water main has burst in five places, they are blaming it on the
drying out of the clay under the road.
Brian

you English and your shrinkable clays...none up here ...

Just rain & rust...

better than cracks in your house...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 17:00, Andrew wrote:
On 04/08/2020 16:55, Jimk wrote:
"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
On 04/08/2020 16:24, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes we need some in Surrey too.
Â*Â* The local water main has burst in five places, they are blaming
it on the
drying out of the clay under the road.
Â*Â* Brian

you English and your shrinkable clays...none up here ...

Just rain & rust...

Get some nice veggies growing on the West Coast of Scotland though.

just been to the farm for a nice ten quid fruit and veg boxes .....

https://www.facebook.com/BarnhillAsparagus/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 16:55, Jimk wrote:
"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
On 04/08/2020 16:24, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes we need some in Surrey too.
Â*Â* The local water main has burst in five places, they are blaming
it on the
drying out of the clay under the road.
Â*Â* Brian

you English and your shrinkable clays...none up here ...

Just rain & rust...

Get some nice veggies growing on the West Coast of Scotland though.

just been to the farm for a nice ten quid fruit and veg boxes .....

https://www.facebook.com/BarnhillAsparagus/

going for the blended box next time...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 16:55, Jimk wrote:
"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
On 04/08/2020 16:24, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes we need some in Surrey too.
Â*Â* The local water main has burst in five places, they are blaming
it on the
drying out of the clay under the road.
Â*Â* Brian

you English and your shrinkable clays...none up here ...

Just rain & rust...

Get some nice veggies growing on the West Coast of Scotland though.

just been to the farm for a nice ten quid fruit and veg boxes .....

https://www.facebook.com/BarnhillAsparagus/

going for the blended box next time...

Is tik-tok the new uk-d-i-y ?.

Is this the typical attention span of one of Adams
apprentices ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 10:57, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
If it's not one thing it is another just came off the M77 onto the M8
and the wipers just stopped !...torrential rain....on a bit of the
motorway with no hard shoulder...smart motorway I think the call it well
I call it STUPID and deadly...so I kept going and got home with them not
working...so another trip to the scrappy required.....I can hear the
motor so probably one of the linkage ball in nylon sockets
failed.....110,0000 miles so I suppose this is to be expected.....mutter
mutter

So called 'Smart Motorways' are the work of the devil.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 17:39, Michael Chare wrote:
On 04/08/2020 10:57, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
If it's not one thing it is another just came off the M77 onto the M8
and the wipers just stopped !...torrential rain....on a bit of the
motorway with no hard shoulder...smart motorway I think the call it
well I call it STUPID and deadly...so I kept going and got home with
them not working...so another trip to the scrappy required.....I can
hear the motor so probably one of the linkage ball in nylon sockets
failed.....110,0000 miles so I suppose this is to be
expected.....mutter mutter

So called 'Smart Motorways' are the work of the devil.

first saw the hard shoulder being used as a lane on 93 in Boston in
1984.....was crazy then and crazy now....fine if there are no accidents
or break downs...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 16:55, Jimk wrote:
"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
On 04/08/2020 16:24, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes we need some in Surrey too.
Â*Â* The local water main has burst in five places, they are
blaming it on the
drying out of the clay under the road.
Â*Â* Brian

you English and your shrinkable clays...none up here ...

Just rain & rust...

Get some nice veggies growing on the West Coast of Scotland though.
just been to the farm for a nice ten quid fruit and veg boxes .....

https://www.facebook.com/BarnhillAsparagus/
going for the blended box next time...

Is tik-tok the new uk-d-i-y ?.

Is this the typical attention span of one of Adams
apprentices ?.

what?

that BarnHill veg box faceache site is full of tik-tok
videos

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 16:55, Jimk wrote:
"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
On 04/08/2020 16:24, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes we need some in Surrey too.
Â*Â* The local water main has burst in five places, they are
blaming it on the
drying out of the clay under the road.
Â*Â* Brian

you English and your shrinkable clays...none up here ...

Just rain & rust...

Get some nice veggies growing on the West Coast of Scotland though.
just been to the farm for a nice ten quid fruit and veg boxes .....

https://www.facebook.com/BarnhillAsparagus/
going for the blended box next time...

Is tik-tok the new uk-d-i-y ?.

Is this the typical attention span of one of Adams
apprentices ?.

what?

that BarnHill veg box faceache site is full of tik-tok
videos

is it?... didn't watch any prefer to just go and get stuff...the guy is
a headcase...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
[...]

It's not in the manufacturer's service sheet, but the garage (main dealer),
where I go, offers it as an add on extra.

I once allowed my battery to go flat because the microswitch
in the A pillar that detects door-open had gone sticky, so I didn't
get the 'lights on' chirrup as I got out and locked it.
A quick squirt with some comma spray grease and all was well.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 10:57, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
If it's not one thing it is another just came off the M77 onto the M8
and the wipers just stopped !...torrential rain....on a bit of the
motorway with no hard shoulder...smart motorway I think the call it well
I call it STUPID and deadly...so I kept going and got home with them not
working...so another trip to the scrappy required.....I can hear the
motor so probably one of the linkage ball in nylon sockets
failed.....110,0000 miles so I suppose this is to be expected.....mutter
mutter

.....right just back from the scrappy with a set of arms etc......what
sort of grease should I put into the new used nylon cups ?....what was
there looks red.....AND should I fit these as belt and braces? ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-Wiper...8AAOSwgPher7sr

anybody done so?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2020 14:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 04/08/2020 10:57, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
If it's not one thing it is another just came off the M77 onto the M8
and the wipers just stopped !...torrential rain....on a bit of the
motorway with no hard shoulder...smart motorway I think the call it
well I call it STUPID and deadly...so I kept going and got home with
them not working...so another trip to the scrappy required.....I can
hear the motor so probably one of the linkage ball in nylon sockets
failed.....110,0000 miles so I suppose this is to be
expected.....mutter mutter

....right just back from the scrappy with a set of arms etc......what
sort of grease should I put into the new used nylon cups ?....what was
there looks red.....AND should I fit these as belt and braces? ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-Wiper...8AAOSwgPher7sr

anybody done so?

white lithium grease seems to be what most people use.
any decent cycle shop should sell it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 04/08/2020 10:57, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
If it's not one thing it is another just came off the M77 onto the M8
and the wipers just stopped !...torrential rain....on a bit of the
motorway with no hard shoulder...smart motorway I think the call it
well I call it STUPID and deadly...so I kept going and got home with
them not working...so another trip to the scrappy required.....I can
hear the motor so probably one of the linkage ball in nylon sockets
failed.....110,0000 miles so I suppose this is to be
expected.....mutter mutter

....right just back from the scrappy with a set of arms etc......what
sort of grease should I put into the new used nylon cups ?....what was
there looks red.....AND should I fit these as belt and braces? ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-Wiper...8AAOSwgPher7sr

anybody done so?

The only real warning they have here, is on temperature range
of whatever you use for grease. Somebody tried vaseline for
example! Which is no good on hot days.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/...oper-lubricant

The Black and Decker parts store (aka Dewalt), sold me some
"urea based polyrex grease". Using that as a keyword, I can get
a couple pages of grease products (PDF). There aren't too many
listed as "multipurpose". The lithium thickened ones seem to
go a bit lower on temperature, by a tiny bit. They are colored
red here, but that might not be caused by the materials in the
grease and could be a marker. I think there's also white lithium grease
for example.

https://www.mobil.ca/lubricants/-/me...tion-guide.pdf

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul wrote:
The Black and Decker parts store (aka Dewalt), sold me some
"urea based polyrex grease". Using that as a keyword, I can get
a couple pages of grease products (PDF). There aren't too many
listed as "multipurpose". The lithium thickened ones seem to
go a bit lower on temperature, by a tiny bit. They are colored
red here, but that might not be caused by the materials in the
grease and could be a marker. I think there's also white lithium grease
for example.

Red grease, in car terms, is special stuff for lubricating brake
hydraulics. Doesn't attack the seals.

--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul wrote:
The Black and Decker parts store (aka Dewalt), sold me some
"urea based polyrex grease". Using that as a keyword, I can get
a couple pages of grease products (PDF). There aren't too many
listed as "multipurpose". The lithium thickened ones seem to
go a bit lower on temperature, by a tiny bit. They are colored
red here, but that might not be caused by the materials in the
grease and could be a marker. I think there's also white lithium grease
for example.

Red grease, in car terms, is special stuff for lubricating brake
hydraulics. Doesn't attack the seals.

found a big tube of lithium complex grease which is the same colour red
as what was on it....wipers now going a charm......more money saved