Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT R/C Tank battery charger or replacement

I have found an old radio control tank I thought had been lost years
ago, trouble is the battery charger is also lost, probably thrown out
because I thought the tank was gone for good.
The battery has to be removed from the tank to charge it, it's 8 AA size
cells in a plastice shrink wrap with a 2 pin Molex type connector so
none of my other chargers will fit. I've search the 'net for a
replacement battery and charger without any luck so I'm hoping someone
in this group can point me toward solution. The battery pack is a
fairly tight fit into the tank so I'm going to need an almost direct
replacement.
I have a pic of the battery but have no idea how to post it to the 'net.
They may be nicad batteries, given the age of it which adds to the
problem. The tank actually "fires shells" (actually bb pellets) over no
great distance and with little force which tended to startle people!
I'd rather keep it for a while then give it to someone who will
appreciate it instead of throwing away to landfill.
Sorry for bleating on at length but can anyone offer possible solutions?
Thanks for reading,

Bob.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 18:33, G r o g wrote:
I have found an old radio control tank I thought had been lost years
ago, trouble is the battery charger is also lost, probably thrown out
because I thought the tank was gone for good.

Ah. No big problem

The battery has to be removed from the tank to charge it, it's 8 AA size
cells in a plastice shrink wrap with a 2 pin Molex type connector so
none of my other chargers will fit.

Probably Tamiya. Not molex

I've search the 'net for a
replacement battery and charger without any luck so I'm hoping someone
in this group can point me toward solution.Â* The battery pack is a
fairly tight fit into the tank so I'm going to need an almost direct
replacement.

Are the cells flatpack 8x12 or 4x2 config? This sounds like a bog
standard RC transmitter pack except for the connector.

I have a pic of the battery but have no idea how to post it to the 'net.

Hmm.
Its it one of these?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BAKTH-Recha...dp/B0796R4614/

Charger should show on that page as well

They may be nicad batteries, given the age of it which adds to the
problem.Â* The tank actually "fires shells" (actually bb pellets) over no

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 18:33, G r o g wrote:
I have found an old radio control tank I thought had been lost years
ago, trouble is the battery charger is also lost, probably thrown out
because I thought the tank was gone for good.

Ah. No big problem

The battery has to be removed from the tank to charge it, it's 8 AA
size cells in a plastice shrink wrap with a 2 pin Molex type connector
so none of my other chargers will fit.

Probably Tamiya. Not molex

I've search the 'net for a replacement battery and charger without any
luck so I'm hoping someone in this group can point me toward
solution.Â* The battery pack is a fairly tight fit into the tank so I'm
going to need an almost direct replacement.

Are the cells flatpack 8x12 orÂ*Â* 4x2 config? This sounds like a bog
standard RC transmitter pack except for the connector.

I have a pic of the battery but have no idea how to post it to the 'net.

Hmm.
Its it one of these?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BAKTH-Recha...dp/B0796R4614/

Charger should show on that page as well

They may be nicad batteries, given the age of it which adds to the
problem.Â* The tank actually "fires shells" (actually bb pellets) over
no great distance and with little force which tended to startle people!
I'd rather keep it for a while then give it to someone who will
appreciate it instead of throwing away to landfill.
Sorry for bleating on at length but can anyone offer possible solutions?
Thanks for reading,

Bob.

Thanks for that info, very useful. I have just come across this Amazon
page which shows what looks like a modern version, identical looking
remote control etc. I don't really want to buy another one but I have a
feeling the batteries and charger would cost nearly as much!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BB-FIRING-T...fsclp_pl_dp_14
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 18:33:17 +0100, G r o g wrote:

The battery has to be removed from the tank to charge it, it's 8 AA size
cells in a plastice shrink wrap ...

Standard batteries, Good.

... with a 2 pin Molex type connector

Probaly the standard RC battery pack connector. Good.

The battery pack is a fairly tight fit into the tank so I'm going to
need an almost direct replacement.

Would the be room for 8 x AA's in a battery box in say 2 x 4 layout?

They may be nicad batteries, given the age of it which adds to the
problem.

Only that they are probably dead and beyond recovery. As far as
charging is concerned NiMH is the same as NiCd so you could try a
standard 9.6 V RC charger on the pack. Zapping each cell with a
briefly directly connected fresh PP3 might blow the "wiskers" in each
cell and help bring them back but if they have bee sat for years I
wouldn't hold out much hope.

A quick look on eBay showed 2 x 4 wrapped AA NiMH packs with the
standard RC power connector for just over a tenner from China.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 August 2020 18:33:17 UTC+1, G r o g wrote:
[...]

Replace the cells is the obvious one. Poundland do 2x 0.6Ah AAs for £1, so it'd cost you £5 to replace the cells, getting one extra in case you get a dud. The original NiCds are probably about 0.4Ah.

Charger wallwarts don't cost much.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 09:47:28 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Poundland do 2x 0.6Ah AAs for £1, so it'd cost you £5 to replace

the
cells, getting one extra in case you get a dud.

At 0.6 Ah they all sound like duds, NiMH AAs were at 2.2Ah well over a
decade ago.

+1

And you'd certainly need to solder to them and transfer the connector
and wrap them. I'd expect to find a complete ready to use 2+ AHr pack
for £15 to £20 from a real UK seller. Not worth the agro for such a
low capacity.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 18:33, G r o g wrote:
I have found an old radio control tank I thought had been lost years
ago, trouble is the battery charger is also lost, probably thrown out
because I thought the tank was gone for good.
The battery has to be removed from the tank to charge it, it's 8 AA size
cells in a plastice shrink wrap with a 2 pin Molex type connector so
none of my other chargers will fit.Â* I've search the 'net for a
replacement battery and charger without any luck so I'm hoping someone
in this group can point me toward solution.Â* The battery pack is a
fairly tight fit into the tank so I'm going to need an almost direct
replacement.
I have a pic of the battery but have no idea how to post it to the 'net.
They may be nicad batteries, given the age of it which adds to the
problem.Â* The tank actually "fires shells" (actually bb pellets) over no
great distance and with little force which tended to startle people!
I'd rather keep it for a while then give it to someone who will
appreciate it instead of throwing away to landfill.
Sorry for bleating on at length but can anyone offer possible solutions?
Thanks for reading,

Bob.

Thank you all for your useful replies. The 8 AA battery pack is 2x4
configuration which I forgot to mention. I half expect the batteries to
be dead but that in itself isn't a problem, the connector from the
batteries to the tank is Molex 2 pin chargers for which seem thin on the
ground, the Molex seems to have been replaced by something which is
similar but smaller. The lead the charger connectss to from the tank
body is very short which may make it difficult for me to replace...I am
of a certain age...
Please keep your suggestions and ideas coming. I have found a company
online in China who may have made the tank so I emailed them for
UKstockists of parts, waiting to hear back.
Thank you all for your time
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 18:30, G r o g wrote:
On 03/08/2020 18:33, G r o g wrote:
I have found an old radio control tank I thought had been lost years
ago, trouble is the battery charger is also lost, probably thrown out
because I thought the tank was gone for good.
The battery has to be removed from the tank to charge it, it's 8 AA
size cells in a plastice shrink wrap with a 2 pin Molex type connector
so none of my other chargers will fit.Â* I've search the 'net for a
replacement battery and charger without any luck so I'm hoping someone
in this group can point me toward solution.Â* The battery pack is a
fairly tight fit into the tank so I'm going to need an almost direct
replacement.
I have a pic of the battery but have no idea how to post it to the 'net.
They may be nicad batteries, given the age of it which adds to the
problem.Â* The tank actually "fires shells" (actually bb pellets) over
no great distance and with little force which tended to startle people!
I'd rather keep it for a while then give it to someone who will
appreciate it instead of throwing away to landfill.
Sorry for bleating on at length but can anyone offer possible solutions?
Thanks for reading,

Bob.

Thank you all for your useful replies.Â* The 8 AA battery pack is 2x4

ITS A ****ING TAMIYA

The lead the charger connectss to from the tank
body is very short which may make it difficult for me to replace...I am
of a certain age...

Please keep your suggestions and ideas coming.

Why? you havent listened to any of them.

Â* I have found a company
online in China who may have made the tank so I emailed them for
UKstockists of parts, waiting to hear back.
Thank you all for your time
Bob

Jesus christ.
This is ALL STANDARD RC STUFF Just buy it or dump the ****ing tank.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 09:47:33 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Poundland do 2x 0.6Ah AAs for £1, so it'd cost you £5 to replace the
cells, getting one extra in case you get a dud.

At 0.6 Ah they all sound like duds,

no they're fine, I've had good life out of em.

NiMH AAs were at 2.2Ah well over a
decade ago.

You can get 2.2 and you can get cheapies. The cheapies are trivially easy to get & more capacity than the original NiCds.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 21:00:58 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 04/08/2020 18:30, G r o g wrote:

Please keep your suggestions and ideas coming.

Why? you havent listened to any of them.

the op has been told the options.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 18:33, G r o g wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your help, even the extremely rude person with no patience ;-)

I didn't think you'd want hourly updates...
anyway your advice and tips led me to a solution and the battery is now
on charge.
Thanks again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 18:33, G r o g wrote:
I have found an old radio control tank I thought had been lost years
ago, trouble is the battery charger is also lost, probably thrown out
because I thought the tank was gone for good.
The battery has to be removed from the tank to charge it, it's 8 AA size
cells in a plastice shrink wrap

Dubious, don't you mean six. Eights do exist but generally these
'Chinese' 1/16 tanks are 7.2V
Nominal voltage on fully charged NiCd is 1.2V Six NiCads= 7.2V
Rough 'scale' of tank, is it 1/16 or is it perhaps smaller ?
if much smaller all bets are off as it may well have customised batteries.

with a 2 pin Molex type connector

Tamiya style plug?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Gxy5w&usqp=CAU

Â* I've search the 'net for a
replacement battery and charger without any luck so I'm hoping someone
in this group can point me toward solution.Â* The battery pack is a
fairly tight fit into the tank so I'm going to need an almost direct
replacement.
I have a pic of the battery but have no idea how to post it to the 'net.
They may be nicad batteries, given the age of it which adds to the
problem.

More than possible. They are still sold today with NiCd (Maybe NiMh)
batteries even though LiPo and LiFe are almost mainstream

Sorry for bleating on at length but can anyone offer possible solutions?
Thanks for reading,

Local model shop is bound to sell six cell NiCd(or NiMh these days they
are pretty much a straight swap for NiCd) and chargers for same.
Or try Amazon/ebay etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MELASTA-420...782455&sr=8-26

Maybe one of the multi voltage multi plug things for a charger you may
have to get the soldering iron out to change plug to your style.
Or maybe this type which looks like you would get away with no soldering
(though it is advisable).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Cable... 83431&sr=8-9

First stop would be (for me anyway) the local model shop with all bits
to hand and ask them