Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clearance needed

I know someone, not currently accessible, who has a tall fridge/freezer and a short freezer. The first is at least 12 years old, privately imported from a europlug country. The second is recently acquired, I know not how. The installation instructions are not likely to be found.

I think that the backs of them are too close to the wall.

I found no guidance in the FAQ.

What would be a sensible separation to suggest?

--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google Groups. |
Mail: - or as Reply-To, if any. |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 August 2020 12:14:16 UTC+1, wrote:
I know someone, not currently accessible, who has a tall fridge/freezer and a short freezer. The first is at least 12 years old, privately imported from a europlug country. The second is recently acquired, I know not how. The installation instructions are not likely to be found.

I think that the backs of them are too close to the wall.

I found no guidance in the FAQ.

What would be a sensible separation to suggest?

If the width is towards, but less than, 600 mm, I'd assume they were made to occupy a standard kitchen unit space each.

(Similarly with depth.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 August 2020 12:14:16 UTC+1, wrote:
I know someone, not currently accessible, who has a tall fridge/freezer and a short freezer. The first is at least 12 years old, privately imported from a europlug country. The second is recently acquired, I know not how. The installation instructions are not likely to be found.

normally anything that modern is easily found online by typing model no & 'manual'

I think that the backs of them are too close to the wall.

I found no guidance in the FAQ.

What would be a sensible separation to suggest?

1. RTFM
2. enough that it can get down to temp
3. more space will see it run more efficiently
4. So there's no hard cutoff.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 August 2020 17:10:52 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 03/08/2020 12:14, JRS wrote:
I know someone, not currently accessible, who has a tall
fridge/freezer and a short freezer. The first is at least 12 years
old, privately imported from a europlug country. The second is
recently acquired, I know not how. The installation instructions are
not likely to be found.

I think that the backs of them are too close to the wall.

There are usually a couple of stand offs to prevent the thing being put
too close to the wall and impacting the heat exchanger function. They
don't need much of a gap at the back to work perfectly well.

More of a problem is when they are fitted under a kitchen bench with a
matching front door in the style of the kitchen. Then there is very
restricted air circulation for cooling and efficiency suffers.

I found no guidance in the FAQ.

What would be a sensible separation to suggest?

50mm should be enough. There probably are a couple of spacer lugs on the
back or a grill for the top to stop things falling down the back.

Rating plate should show power consumption, working fluid and model no.

General Answer

At the moment, the units are not accessible. All I know is that they are as described, and that they are very close to a wall or similar obstruction - and that on each case the present gap is less than the thickness of my little fingers, say 0.5". Neither is in a kitchen.

It will be a major effort to read anything that may be on the back of it; too much will have to be moved.

ASIDE : I also wanted to know the model number of their microwave oven.
I could not find it on the rear plate(s). We eventually
realised that it was written on the front, in the same manner
as the legends for the controls. Mine has it on the back.

Therefore, the answer is 2 inches or 50 mm, and thanks to those who gave it..

I think that the FAQ Index should contain an entry "Standards", linking to an article which lists them, by links or otherwise.

For example :
BS 1362/3
Building Regulations
Electricians - Part P (link)
ISO 3103 (link)
Kitchen units - standard kitchen unit space is 60 x 60 x 85 cm (if correct)
Units of Measurement?