Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default strange hot water

just down at the static van and I thought I would take a bath rather
than a shower.....anyway water at the sink is scalding ....shower with
the mixer up the right way up now is working well...the whb is pretty
hot but the bath water is temped at the most... anybody got any idea why
this is the case ? ....all about the same distance from the Worcester
combi.....whb and bath have separate hot and cold taps....sink is a mixer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thats one of the issues with Combis, the flow of water can be greater than the boilers ability to heat it. The only remedy is to slow the rate of the water and fill the bath slower but then catch 22 comes in to play in that by the time you have filled the bath it has gone tepid anyway.

Richar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 09:22, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Thats one of the issues with Combis, the flow of water can be greater than the boilers ability to heat it. The only remedy is to slow the rate of the water and fill the bath slower but then catch 22 comes in to play in that by the time you have filled the bath it has gone tepid anyway.

Richar

or either:

The combi boiler is undersized. to fill a bath, you are looking at a
38kW boiler.

the DHW FPHE is scaled up affecting thermal energy transfer from the
boiler internal water to the incoming cold mains water

(DHW FPHE is Domestic Hot Water Flat Plate Heat Exchanger)

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 08:10:13 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

just down at the static van and I thought I would take a bath rather
than a shower.....anyway water at the sink is scalding ....shower with
the mixer up the right way up now is working well...the whb is pretty
hot but the bath water is temped at the most... anybody got any idea why
this is the case ? ....all about the same distance from the Worcester
combi.....whb and bath have separate hot and cold taps....sink is a mixer

haveyougottheinstructionsforthewaterheaterandhavey oureadit......tee
hee.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 09:29, No Name wrote:
On 03/08/2020 09:22, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Thats one of the issues with Combis, the flow of water can be
greater than the boilers ability to heat it. The only remedy is to
slow the rate of the water and fill the bath slower but then catch 22
comes in to play in that by the time you have filled the bath it has
gone tepid anyway.

Richar

or either:

The combi boiler is undersized. to fill a bath, you are looking at a
38kW boiler.

Assuming your mains water pressure and delivery rate are up to it,
plus the distance from meter to boiler might need 28mm gas pipe.

the DHW FPHE is scaled up affecting thermal energy transfer from the
boiler internal water to the incoming cold mains water

(DHW FPHE is Domestic Hot Water Flat Plate Heat Exchanger)

S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 08:10, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just down at the static van and I thought I would take a bath rather
than a shower.....anyway water at the sink is scalding ....shower with
the mixer up the right way up now is working well...the whb is pretty
hot but the bath water is temped at the most... anybody got any idea why
this is the case ? ....all about the same distance from the Worcester
combi.....whb and bath have separate hot and cold taps....sink is a mixer

it's a Worcester 24i propane....sink scalding at full flow rate......whb
scalding at full flow rate...bath tepid at full flow rate...not too bad
at slow flow rate.....just have to live with it.....no water temp
adjustment on the boiler...thanks all except tim .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

just down at the static van and I thought I would take a bath rather
than a shower.....anyway water at the sink is scalding ....shower with
the mixer up the right way up now is working well...the whb is pretty
hot but the bath water is temped at the most... anybody got any idea why
this is the case ? ....all about the same distance from the Worcester
combi.....whb and bath have separate hot and cold taps....sink is a mixer

haveyougottheinstructionsforthewaterheaterandhavey oureadit......tee
hee.

Cheers, T i m

I for one only read instructions as a last resort......I understand why
you read them ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 12:08, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 03/08/2020 08:10, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just down at the static van and I thought I would take a bath rather
than a shower.....anyway water at the sink is scalding ....shower with
the mixer up the right way up now is working well...the whb is pretty
hot but the bath water is temped at the most... anybody got any idea
why this is the case ? ....all about the same distance from the
Worcester combi.....whb and bath have separate hot and cold
taps....sink is a mixer

it's a Worcester 24i propane....sink scalding at full flow rate......whb
scalding at full flow rate...bath tepid at full flow rate...not too bad
at slow flow rate.....just have to live with it.....no water temp
adjustment on the boiler...thanks all except tim .....

all I can think is that the bath tap has a MUCH greater flow rate than
the sink and whb....doesn't seem like that though ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 03/08/2020 08:10, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just down at the static van and I thought I would take a bath rather
than a shower.....anyway water at the sink is scalding ....shower with
the mixer up the right way up now is working well...the whb is pretty
hot but the bath water is temped at the most... anybody got any idea
why this is the case ? ....all about the same distance from the
Worcester combi.....whb and bath have separate hot and cold
taps....sink is a mixer

it's a Worcester 24i propane....sink scalding at full flow rate......whb
scalding at full flow rate...bath tepid at full flow rate...not too bad
at slow flow rate.....just have to live with it.....no water temp
adjustment on the boiler...thanks all except tim .....

Hot water is being diluted by cold somewhere.

Before it gets to the control you're using.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 12:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
all I can think is that the bath tap has a MUCH greater flow rate than
the sink and whb....doesn't seem like that though ....

Stick a bucket (or bowl, or other reasonable size container) under the
taps & measure them.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 13:08, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 03/08/2020 08:10, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just down at the static van and I thought I would take a bath rather
than a shower.....anyway water at the sink is scalding ....shower
with the mixer up the right way up now is working well...the whb is
pretty hot but the bath water is temped at the most... anybody got
any idea why this is the case ? ....all about the same distance from
the Worcester combi.....whb and bath have separate hot and cold
taps....sink is a mixer

it's a Worcester 24i propane....sink scalding at full flow
rate......whb scalding at full flow rate...bath tepid at full flow
rate...not too bad at slow flow rate.....just have to live with
it.....no water temp adjustment on the boiler...thanks all except tim

Hot water is being diluted by cold somewhere.

Before it gets to the control you're using.

Â*Â* Paul

well it is open to the elements under the van ....but wouldn't have thought
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 13:08, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 03/08/2020 08:10, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just down at the static van and I thought I would take a bath rather
than a shower.....anyway water at the sink is scalding ....shower
with the mixer up the right way up now is working well...the whb is
pretty hot but the bath water is temped at the most... anybody got
any idea why this is the case ? ....all about the same distance from
the Worcester combi.....whb and bath have separate hot and cold
taps....sink is a mixer

it's a Worcester 24i propane....sink scalding at full flow
rate......whb scalding at full flow rate...bath tepid at full flow
rate...not too bad at slow flow rate.....just have to live with
it.....no water temp adjustment on the boiler...thanks all except tim

Hot water is being diluted by cold somewhere.

Before it gets to the control you're using.

They may be a Thermostatic mixing valve inline with the bath hot tap.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 03/08/2020 13:08, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

In Scotland its a legal requirement to fit either a thermostatic mixer or
an in-line mixing valve in the hot supply for baths on new installations. I
dont know how long this has been the case for.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Talking about heat, is there a temperature that hot water can be that is the
hottest safe temp, ie it might hurt if you put your hand under it, but not
scold you, as it seems to me for safety whatever you are filling the bath
with that is the highest temp you want it to come out at.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 03/08/2020 12:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
all I can think is that the bath tap has a MUCH greater flow rate than
the sink and whb....doesn't seem like that though ....

Stick a bucket (or bowl, or other reasonable size container) under the
taps & measure them.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 15:20, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 03/08/2020 13:08, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 03/08/2020 08:10, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just down at the static van and I thought I would take a bath rather
than a shower.....anyway water at the sink is scalding ....shower
with the mixer up the right way up now is working well...the whb is
pretty hot but the bath water is temped at the most... anybody got
any idea why this is the case ? ....all about the same distance from
the Worcester combi.....whb and bath have separate hot and cold
taps....sink is a mixer
it's a Worcester 24i propane....sink scalding at full flow
rate......whb scalding at full flow rate...bath tepid at full flow
rate...not too bad at slow flow rate.....just have to live with
it.....no water temp adjustment on the boiler...thanks all except tim

Hot water is being diluted by cold somewhere.

Before it gets to the control you're using.

Â*Â*Â* Paul

well it is open to the elements under the van ....but wouldn't have thought

right panic over....... let the bath tap run full then turned it right
back and I got a bath full of very hot water I could just about sit
in.....just didn't realise the flow was so great from a bath tap...silly
me.....great bath like brand new the previous owner obviously didn't use
it....kind of a sitz bath a wee bit short in length but very
nice....what a bargain this van was...think it was top of the line and
only one with a bath....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQL7yEaoi3g
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 20:32, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Talking about heat, is there a temperature that hot water can be that is the
hottest safe temp, ie it might hurt if you put your hand under it, but not
scold you, as it seems to me for safety whatever you are filling the bath
with that is the highest temp you want it to come out at.

Brian

good idea......much higher flow rate indeed.....never a problem at home
with a combi
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 13:08, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

not bad for five and a half cash .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 13:08, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

"Includes site fees for 2012"

That's useful.

Do they only come with that ****ty coloured settee and curtains, or
is that a reflection of the tastes of a typical 'owner' ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 13:08, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

covered up the couch and changed all the drapes I'll do a video if you
want....