DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do I prepare/level an uneven wooden floor for laying ceramic tiles? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/67832-how-do-i-prepare-level-uneven-wooden-floor-laying-ceramic-tiles.html)

Peter September 4th 04 10:55 AM

How do I prepare/level an uneven wooden floor for laying ceramic tiles?

I live in an old house with floorboards that are pretty uneven.

For the small bathroom (1.7 x 2.12m) bathroom I want to lay ceramic
floor tiles but am concerned that they may look unsightly on the
uneven surface, and maybe even crack when they are stood on.

I don't really want to lay a thick false floor underneath as it will
make a 'step' into the room. Can anyone advise on the options
available to me please.

Tim

stuart noble September 4th 04 02:05 PM

Peter wrote in message ...
I live in an old house with floorboards that are pretty uneven.

For the small bathroom (1.7 x 2.12m) bathroom I want to lay ceramic
floor tiles but am concerned that they may look unsightly on the
uneven surface, and maybe even crack when they are stood on.

I don't really want to lay a thick false floor underneath as it will
make a 'step' into the room. Can anyone advise on the options
available to me please.

Take floorboards up, replace with ply?

dg September 4th 04 11:39 PM

Peter wrote in message . ..
I live in an old house with floorboards that are pretty uneven.

For the small bathroom (1.7 x 2.12m) bathroom I want to lay ceramic
floor tiles but am concerned that they may look unsightly on the
uneven surface, and maybe even crack when they are stood on.

I don't really want to lay a thick false floor underneath as it will
make a 'step' into the room. Can anyone advise on the options
available to me please.

Tim

Any sort of tiling or lino should not be laid directly on to
floorboards, but a layer of 4mm hardboard or 6mm plyboard should be
fitted first to give an even base.

dg