DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Splashdown (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/678315-splashdown.html)

ARW August 2nd 20 06:48 PM

Splashdown

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-sp...mission-2-crew

--
Adam

Andrew[_22_] August 2nd 20 07:06 PM

Splashdown

On 02/08/2020 18:48, ARW wrote:
https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-sp...mission-2-crew

They're a bit late. Should've been back at 19:15 BST !

Now expected 19:48

[email protected] August 2nd 20 07:12 PM

Splashdown

On Sunday, 2 August 2020 19:06:19 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
They're a bit late. Should've been back at 19:15 BST !
Now expected 19:48

It's not bad in percentage terms considering where it's come from.

Southern Rail would be ecstatic at a 33 min delay.

Owain

ARW August 2nd 20 07:24 PM

Splashdown

On 02/08/2020 19:12, wrote:
On Sunday, 2 August 2020 19:06:19 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
They're a bit late. Should've been back at 19:15 BST !
Now expected 19:48

It's not bad in percentage terms considering where it's come from.

Southern Rail would be ecstatic at a 33 min delay.

Pretty sure it was due to splashdown at 19.45 when I read the news
yesterday.

--
Adam

Andrew[_22_] August 2nd 20 09:18 PM

Splashdown

On 02/08/2020 19:24, ARW wrote:
On 02/08/2020 19:12, wrote:
On Sunday, 2 August 2020 19:06:19 UTC+1, AndrewÂ* wrote:
They're a bit late. Should've been back at 19:15 BST !
Now expected 19:48

It's not bad in percentage terms considering where it's come from.

Southern Rail would be ecstatic at a 33 min delay.

Pretty sure it was due to splashdown at 19.45 when I read the news
yesterday.

Well that chewed up about a Gigabyte of download.

Interesting that the Russian vehicles land on terra-harder
with the assistance of retro rockets but they just whip the
occupants out asap.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) August 3rd 20 07:47 AM

Splashdown

I heard it on the news. Seems just a little strange that with all that
technology and targeting accuracy, they could not have landed on land like
the Russians have for years.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) August 3rd 20 07:49 AM

Splashdown

Hmm strange delay that, its not one orbit, o may be to due to earlier
changes in the flight profile for testing. That is the point of test
missions of course to test things.
Brian

--
----- --

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) August 3rd 20 07:56 AM

Splashdown

Except that time when a slow detach of the living module created a parabolic
return and they set fire to the grass they landed on and it took a while to
get them out. Luckily Peggy Witsun did not pass out due to the hi g loads
and managed to get some control while her Russian crew were unconscious.
Did you know they keep a shotgun on the Soyuz for protection if they land
in a dangerous place and have to bale out so to speak after the landing. 9
times out of ten the capsule rolls on its side as the chutes can trag it
over if there is a breeze. All these tin can flinging spacecraft seem still
a little crude, you would have thought by now a controlled landing on wings
was the way to go.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message

Jimk August 3rd 20 09:42 AM

Splashdown

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" Wrote in message:
Except that time when a slow detach of the living module created a parabolic
return and they set fire to the grass they landed on and it took a while to
get them out. Luckily Peggy Witsun did not pass out due to the hi g loads
and managed to get some control while her Russian crew were unconscious.
Did you know they keep a shotgun on the Soyuz for protection if they land
in a dangerous place and have to bale out so to speak after the landing. 9
times out of ten the capsule rolls on its side as the chutes can trag it
over if there is a breeze. All these tin can flinging spacecraft seem still
a little crude, you would have thought by now a controlled landing on wings
was the way to go.
Brian

Like the space shuttle...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Scott[_17_] August 3rd 20 10:34 AM

Splashdown

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 19:06:17 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 02/08/2020 18:48, ARW wrote:
https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-sp...mission-2-crew

They're a bit late. Should've been back at 19:15 BST !

Now expected 19:48

I thought the splashdown was on time with a delay in getting the
astronauts out due to a build-up of nitrogen tetroxide. I must admit
this if the first time I had heard of this substance.

I thought the astronauts would be wearing full breathing equipment in
space-suits and therefore exposure to nitrogen tetroxide for a very
short period would cause no difficulty.

Is it environmentally harmful or once the amounts involved are
absorbed into the air or sea insignificant compared to the nitrogen
dioxide and nitrogen trioxide emitted globally?