Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Delivery tracking app for Android

Which Android app is best for tracking an expected delivery from a UK
courier - including Royal Mail and Parcelforce?

Reviews discuss Aftership, 17Track and ParcelTrack but they don't
specifically cover the UK, where I believe the Royal Mail in the past has
been unwilling to share its tracking data with third parties.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2020 15:36, Pamela wrote:
Which Android app is best for tracking an expected delivery from a UK
courier - including Royal Mail and Parcelforce?

None - Roayl Mail tracking only tells you that the parcel has been
posted and the parcel has been delivered. If Royal mail doesn't input
the on-route data no app will tell you where it is. Parcelforce employ
illiterate non-english speaking drivers who can only scribble a
fictional post office name/address when leaving a "not in" card.

Many of the other couriers have their own tracking, often giving one
hour slots and the current location of the delivery vehicle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m formulated on Sunday :
None - Roayl Mail tracking only tells you that the parcel has been posted and
the parcel has been delivered. If Royal mail doesn't input the on-route data
no app will tell you where it is. Parcelforce employ illiterate non-english
speaking drivers who can only scribble a fictional post office name/address
when leaving a "not in" card.

Not around here, they are all very local people.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 August 2020 15:49:36 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 02/08/2020 15:36, Pamela wrote:
Which Android app is best for tracking an expected delivery from a UK
courier - including Royal Mail and Parcelforce?

None - Roayl Mail tracking only tells you that the parcel has been
posted and the parcel has been delivered. If Royal mail doesn't input
the on-route data no app will tell you where it is. Parcelforce employ
illiterate non-english speaking drivers who can only scribble a
fictional post office name/address when leaving a "not in" card.

Many of the other couriers have their own tracking, often giving one
hour slots and the current location of the delivery vehicle.

Royal Mail tracking varies depending on what has been paid for/agreed with the sender. Yes, sometimes it only reveals that the item has been delivered and nothing before.

Bizarrely, some of the most detailed RM tracking I have seen has been via Aliexpress (or their default delivery) where I have seen fine details both en route and within the UK.

As for staff, so far as I am concerned we have no problems with any of the companies. Most are extremely friendly and helpful, the worst are perfectly adequate. PF, RM, Hermes, DPD, and several others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20:02 2 Aug 2020, polygonum_on_google said:
[...]

Amazon seems to get timely feedback about delivery on packages it sends via
Royal Mail. I would like an app that can do this for RM packages in general
plus other couriers.

As for staff, so far as I am concerned we have no problems with any of
the companies. Most are extremely friendly and helpful, the worst are
perfectly adequate. PF, RM, Hermes, DPD, and several others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Pamela
wrote:
[...]

I get told by RM very promptly that my parcel; has been delivered. Same
goes for most other carriers. The info comes by email; it doesn't need
another app.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Roayl Mail tracking only tells you that the parcel has been posted and
the parcel has been delivered

Depends on the service, I've had royal mail deliveries with full
tracking from collection, through various depots and notification when
it's out for delivery and a 1 hour slot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pamela wrote:

which Android app is best for tracking an expected delivery from a UK
courier

a web browser?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21:17 2 Aug 2020, Andy Burns said:

Pamela wrote:

which Android app is best for tracking an expected delivery from a UK
courier

a web browser?

It doesn't give notifications on the progress of the journey. Those Android
apps (which cover many couriers) give an alert when the parcel has reached
and leaves a depot or is in transit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pamela wrote:
On 20:49 2 Aug 2020, charles said:

In article , Pamela
wrote:
[...]

What system have you signed up to? I am talkig about receiving parcels.

I am not signed up to anything, The tracking is set up by the sender.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pamela wrote:

which Android app is best for tracking an expected delivery from a UK
courier

a web browser?

It doesn't give notifications on the progress of the journey. Those
Android apps (which cover many couriers) give an alert when the parcel
has reached and leaves a depot or is in transit.

With Yahoo last week I could follow the delivery van's journey.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles Wrote in message:

Pamela wrote:

which Android app is best for tracking an expected delivery from a UK
courier

a web browser?

It doesn't give notifications on the progress of the journey. Those
Android apps (which cover many couriers) give an alert when the parcel
has reached and leaves a depot or is in transit.

With Yahoo last week I could follow the delivery van's journey.

Yahoo?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jimk wrote:
charles Wrote in message:

Pamela wrote:

which Android app is best for tracking an expected delivery from a UK
courier

a web browser?

It doesn't give notifications on the progress of the journey. Those
Android apps (which cover many couriers) give an alert when the parcel
has reached and leaves a depot or is in transit.

With Yahoo last week I could follow the delivery van's journey.

Yahoo?

yes

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Aug 2020 10:00:20 +0100, charles
wrote:

With Yahoo last week I could follow the delivery van's journey.

Yahoo?

yes

You mean Yodel?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08:16 3 Aug 2020, charles said:

wrote:
[...]

I mean to ask in what way do you "get told by RM very promptly that my
parcel has been delivered" ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10:00 3 Aug 2020, charles said:
In article ,
Jimk wrote:
charles Wrote in message:
Pamela wrote:

which Android app is best for tracking an expected delivery from
a UK courier

a web browser?

It doesn't give notifications on the progress of the journey. Those
Android apps (which cover many couriers) give an alert when the
parcel has reached and leaves a depot or is in transit.

With Yahoo last week I could follow the delivery van's journey.

Yahoo?

yes

How do you use Yahoo to follow the delivery van's journey?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 August 2020 20:22:59 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
[...]

Mostly, Amazon know very speedily. But often there is absolutely no tracking once it has been received by RM, until it has arrived. Amazon might know, RM might know, but they don't let me know. I think that is usual for the least expensive delivery option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

an email

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

With Yahoo last week I could follow the delivery van's journey.

Yahoo?

yes

You mean Yodel?

I asked, he said Yahoo (shrug ;-))...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

With Yahoo last week I could follow the delivery van's journey.

Yahoo?
yes

You mean Yodel?

I asked, he said Yahoo (shrug ;-))...

yes, I was wrong. Yodel it was.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 17:16, Pamela wrote:

I mean to ask in what way do you "get told by RM very promptly that my
parcel has been delivered" ?

By the means that you supplied to the seller of the goods. If the
supplier requests an email (or you buy from Ebay/Amazon) then the
delivery notification will be via email.

Presumably if RM don't have these details then you don't get a
notification. It may not even be a RM service to you, the RM may inform
the seller that his package has been delivered and it's the seller who
automatically informs the customer.

Other suppliers may request an mobile phone number and this is used to
send delivery slot texts and maybe to receive the phone call from the
driver saying he will be turning up within the next 15 minutes.

Some couriers will provide a web address where you can use the tracking
number to watch in near real time the delivery driver on his round and
with a indication that he is delivering package number 52 and you are
delivery number 63 etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17:51 3 Aug 2020, charles said:

wrote:
[...]

Now I understand. An email is one way to inform about a delivery but I
was also asking about tracking a parcel on its route which is what these
parcel tracking apps do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I suspect you'd need a different app for each carrier

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pamela wrote:

I was also asking about tracking a parcel on its route which is what
these parcel tracking apps do.

I doubt the apps do anything more than scrape the data from
royalmail, yodel, hermes etc websites ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14:09 4 Aug 2020, Andy Burns said:

Pamela wrote:

I was also asking about tracking a parcel on its route which is what
these parcel tracking apps do.

I doubt the apps do anything more than scrape the data from
royalmail, yodel, hermes etc websites ...

I believe these apps use official APIs, although in the past Royal Mail has
refused to provide the data.

You and I discussed some of this in this group last August in a thread called
"Royal Mail - Track and Trace fail". Since then I see lower value packages
getting tracked and wonder if a third-party app can now follow the progress
of a UK delivery by any courier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pamela wrote:

I was also asking about tracking a parcel on its route which is what
these parcel tracking apps do.

I doubt the apps do anything more than scrape the data from
royalmail, yodel, hermes etc websites ...

I believe these apps use official APIs, although in the past Royal Mail has
refused to provide the data.

You and I discussed some of this in this group last August in a thread called
"Royal Mail - Track and Trace fail". Since then I see lower value packages
getting tracked and wonder if a third-party app can now follow the progress
of a UK delivery by any courier.

Um, why not install one and try it? I see one in the App Store that claims
to work with 220 different carriers.

Never felt the need for an app myself. If tracking is available from a
delivery company, they tell me by email (with appropriate links if
necessary).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pamela wrote:

[...]

It's likely with an app you first need the tracking number. This
information usually comes with a link to the relevant tracking so you
wouldn't need a third party app.

I've found over the past 6 months having a tracking number is no
indication that the item has been posted or received by the courier. It
appears that some companies allocate a tracking number on receipt of the
order and often long before the item has been picked or dispatched.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pamela wrote:

[...]

I installed three apps (AfterShip, 17track and ParcelTracker?) to see how
they tracked a DHL package. There was little in it.

Most of my stuff comes from Amazon so I don't often get the chance to compare
others, such as Royal Mail or Parcel Force.

I figured people on a DIY group might be ordering parts all the time from
various UK suppliers using different couriers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , alan_m
wrote:

Pamela wrote:

[...]

agreed

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pamela wrote:

On 18:43 4 Aug 2020, Tim+ said:

Pamela wrote:

You and I discussed some of this in this group last August in a thread
called "Royal Mail - Track and Trace fail". Since then I see lower
value packages getting tracked and wonder if a third-party app can now
follow the progress of a UK delivery by any courier.

Ah yes, that was when I was a sender, not a recipient.

I figured people on a DIY group might be ordering parts all the time from
various UK suppliers using different couriers.

I suspect we do, but most seem happy to use tracking website links that
are sent out.

Some amazon suppliers (or some couriers) end up notifying in different
ways, e.g. I bought two items from one amazon seller (not fulfilled by
amazon) expecting a single delivery, but the seller contacted me to say
that since one item was very long it had to come via parcelforce instead
of royalmail. parcel force sent SMS "on its way" and "out for delivery
today" messages to my landline, which no other courier has done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2020 15:36, Pamela wrote:
Which Android app is best for tracking an expected delivery from a UK
courier - including Royal Mail and Parcelforce?

as this is d-i-y are you intending to create one ?