DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   NO more free TV licence from today (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/678292-no-more-free-tv-licence-today.html)

Andrew[_22_] August 1st 20 07:03 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.

BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails,
texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will
fall for a scammer though.

Jim GM4 DHJ ... August 1st 20 08:30 PM

On 01/08/2020 18:03, Andrew wrote:
Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.

BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails,
texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will
fall for a scammer though.

good...over 75s are loaded

T i m August 1st 20 11:16 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 18:03:26 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.

BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails,
texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will
fall for a scammer though.

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Cheers, T i m

Custos Custodum August 2nd 20 12:38 AM

wrote:

Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.

BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails,
texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will
fall for a scammer though.

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age? (Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Bob Eager[_7_] August 2nd 20 01:44 AM

wrote:

Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.

BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails,
texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will fall for a
scammer though.

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Of course, there may be unexpected consequences. Lots of eligible people,
who haven't doen it until now, deciding to apply for pension credit.

Farmer Giles[_2_] August 2nd 20 08:31 AM

wrote:

Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.

BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails,
texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will
fall for a scammer though.

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age? (Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60
with no pension or otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) August 2nd 20 08:44 AM

NO more free TV licence from today

Loads of scammers already onto this one of course. However what will they
do? Take granny to court over unpaid tv licence. See that going down well.
I just think folk will mostly ignore it.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Dave Liquorice[_2_] August 2nd 20 10:55 AM

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on

pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age?

(Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, ...

What are "pension credits"?

... but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60 with no pension or
otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.

The first eligibilty requirement for pension credit is to be over the
state pension age. Which is some what variable dependant on your sex
and date of birth as they gradually push it up to 68. With plans to
push it even higher.

--
Cheers
Dave.

T i m August 2nd 20 11:05 AM

NO more free TV licence from today

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles
wrote:

snip

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age? (Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60
with no pension or otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.

I did indeed and didn't think the two things were different (but
understand how they can be etc).

Eg, initially they may be a top up *towards* your pension (unable to
continue working near retirement age) and then it became a topup *of*
your pension if you weren't above a specific threshold?

Cheers, T i m

RJH[_2_] August 2nd 20 11:13 AM

On 2 Aug 2020 at 10:05:22 BST, "T i m" wrote:

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles
wrote:

snip

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age? (Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60
with no pension or otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.

I did indeed and didn't think the two things were different (but
understand how they can be etc).

Eg, initially they may be a top up *towards* your pension (unable to
continue working near retirement age) and then it became a topup *of*
your pension if you weren't above a specific threshold?

I've just looked this up for someone - 70, but doesn't receive the full
pension (he gets about £150) because, he says, he hasn't paid full NI.

According to the Age Concern Calculator, he should now get pension and savings
credit, pushing his weekly income up to about the full pension. Plus other
benefits, like council tax rebates.

So if that's correct, he could be a few thousand better off if he claims. Does
seem a bit perverse to me - IIUC somebody on the basic 'full' pension with no
other income wouldn't be entitled to these credit-benefits.

--
Cheers, Rob

T i m August 2nd 20 11:15 AM

wrote:

Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.

BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails,
texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will fall for a
scammer though.

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Of course, there may be unexpected consequences. Lots of eligible people,
who haven't doen it until now, deciding to apply for pension credit.

I think the real issue here is giving the licence free to some in the
first place. People were paying and were ok with that (few other
choices, good content, no advertising etc), just as all those who know
if they want to watch Netflix or Amazon Video now they have to pay for
it. The problem arises when you make it free to anyone and then decide
to take that away again.

I think the biggest insult is what I remember being only a tiny
discount to 'viewers' (as that's the primary interface of 'TV'
(compared with radio)) who were registered blind?

I appreciate the impact would vary depending on what was on ... and
how good the narration was, but still. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

David Wade[_2_] August 2nd 20 11:28 AM

On 02/08/2020 10:13, RJH wrote:
On 2 Aug 2020 at 10:05:22 BST, "T i m" wrote:

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles
wrote:

snip

[...]

I think this was done, at least in part, by the BBC to "cock a snook" at
the Government. Its been estimated that if every one who is entitled to
pension credit claims it will cost the government more than it would to
fund the licence.

Whilst the cost of the Pension Credit is less, it unlocks other benefits
which push the costs up...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...xtra-600m.html

or shortened url

https://tinyurl.com/y36kvfdo

so guys and gals, get claiming. Its your right...

Dave

T i m August 2nd 20 11:55 AM

NO more free TV licence from today

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 10:28:26 +0100, David Wade
wrote:

snip

Whilst the cost of the Pension Credit is less, it unlocks other benefits
which push the costs up...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...xtra-600m.html

or shortened url

https://tinyurl.com/y36kvfdo

so guys and gals, get claiming. Its your right...

I'm 63, not working (never claimed anything in my life) but too young
to retire, according to the current system ... but I think I have two
small private pensions that matured when I was 60.

I believe I also have a couple more private pensions that are due to
mature when I'm 65 and I think I did look into putting them all into
one, but 1) not sure if that was a good idea and 2) I think that you
might only be able to combing so many and didn't know which I should
do if there were limits (or take the cash etc).

Cheers, T i m

Max Demian August 2nd 20 12:12 PM

wrote:

[...]

The discount was the same as the radio licence on the grounds that blind
people got that for free (£1.25). When that was abolished the discount
continued at the same rate, as you can't remove a benefit that people
are used to even if it doesn't make any sense or they will make a fuss;
as the BBC/Government have discovered with the abolition of the over 75
free licence.

I never understood TV licence discounts for blind people before AD was
introduced.

--
Max Demian

Farmer Giles[_2_] August 2nd 20 12:41 PM

On 02/08/2020 09:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on

pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age?

(Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, ...

What are "pension credits"?

... but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60 with no pension or
otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.

The first eligibilty requirement for pension credit is to be over the
state pension age. Which is some what variable dependant on your sex
and date of birth as they gradually push it up to 68. With plans to
push it even higher.

If that's the case, it's changed fairly recently then. It was certainly
over sixty a few years back because I claimed it for someone who was
that age.

tim... August 2nd 20 12:48 PM

wrote:

Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.

BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails,
texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will
fall for a scammer though.

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

and another 300,000 (or whatever) who would qualify, but are too proud to
claim

don't weep all at once, you'll flood us out

tim... August 2nd 20 12:51 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on

pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age?

(Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, ...

What are "pension credits"?

... but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60 with no pension or
otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.

The first eligibilty requirement for pension credit is to be over the
state pension age. Which is some what variable dependant on your sex
and date of birth as they gradually push it up to 68. With plans to
push it even higher.

but at any one point in time (such as today) is a fixed defined age

And in any case it's an irrelevance, as the requirement for the free licence
is to be claiming "Pension Credit" and be over 75

tim... August 2nd 20 01:04 PM

"RJH" wrote in message
On 2 Aug 2020 at 10:05:22 BST, "T i m" wrote:

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles
wrote:

snip

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age? (Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60
with no pension or otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster
meant.

I did indeed and didn't think the two things were different (but
understand how they can be etc).

Eg, initially they may be a top up *towards* your pension (unable to
continue working near retirement age) and then it became a topup *of*
your pension if you weren't above a specific threshold?

I've just looked this up for someone - 70, but doesn't receive the full
pension (he gets about £150)

that seems like more than a full pension to me. (for a single person)

because, he says, he hasn't paid full NI.

According to the Age Concern Calculator, he should now get pension and
savings
credit, pushing his weekly income up to about the full pension. Plus other
benefits, like council tax rebates.

funnily enough, I have just downloaded a help sheet for this

and that says

"Savings Credits have been closed to new applicants since 2010"

so Age Concern see somewhat out of date there

So if that's correct, he could be a few thousand better off if he claims.
Does
seem a bit perverse to me - IIUC somebody on the basic 'full' pension with
no
other income wouldn't be entitled to these credit-benefits.

The payment is based around the concept of "Minimum Income Guarantee"

which is some way above the standard pension and assume that people have an
earnings related top up

but not everyone earned enough to accumulate that top up

tim... August 2nd 20 01:11 PM

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 10:28:26 +0100, David Wade
wrote:

snip

Whilst the cost of the Pension Credit is less, it unlocks other benefits
which push the costs up...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...xtra-600m.html

or shortened url

https://tinyurl.com/y36kvfdo

so guys and gals, get claiming. Its your right...

I'm 63, not working (never claimed anything in my life) but too young
to retire, according to the current system ... but I think I have two
small private pensions that matured when I was 60.

I believe I also have a couple more private pensions that are due to
mature when I'm 65 and I think I did look into putting them all into
one, but 1) not sure if that was a good idea and 2) I think that you
might only be able to combing so many and didn't know which I should
do if there were limits (or take the cash etc).

And assuming that you aren't living on fresh air now, presumably have
significant savings.

Whilst PC does not have a savings level that forbids you from claiming, it
does have an "assumed" income from saving which involve an assumption of
"draw-dawn".

anyone with an OAP pension and more than about 50K is going to find the
calculation for PC says "no"

tim

tim... August 2nd 20 01:12 PM

"David Wade" wrote in message
On 02/08/2020 10:13, RJH wrote:
On 2 Aug 2020 at 10:05:22 BST, "T i m" wrote:

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles
wrote:

snip

[...]

I think that's probably an unintended consequence

tim... August 2nd 20 01:14 PM

wrote:

[...]

OTOH

there shouldn't be any problem with the blind getting by with a B&W TV

tim... August 2nd 20 01:16 PM

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Loads of scammers already onto this one of course. However what will they
do? Take granny to court over unpaid tv licence.

yep

See that going down well.

It already doesn't go down well (in media terms) with the set that they do
prosecute

doesn't stop them doing it

Dave Liquorice[_2_] August 2nd 20 01:27 PM

On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 10:55:20 +0100, T i m wrote:

I'm 63, not working (never claimed anything in my life) but too young
to retire, according to the current system ... but I think I have two
small private pensions that matured when I was 60.

You don't know? What are you living on now if not working or claiming
benefits? The interest on a couple of million in savings accounts?

I believe I also have a couple more private pensions that are due to
mature when I'm 65 and I think I did look into putting them all into
one, but 1) not sure if that was a good idea and 2) I think that you
might only be able to combing so many and didn't know which I should
do if there were limits (or take the cash etc).

You need to find a independant financial advisor perhaps with a bit
of specialisum in pensions. The rules have changed an awful lot
recently, with far more options than there ever used to be. You don't
have to buy an anuity (thus losing access to the capital and any
gains it makes invested), you can take up to 25% tax free lump sum
but you don't have to do that in one go and/or you can draw down on
the capital and/or leave it...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] August 2nd 20 01:41 PM

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 11:41:14 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

The first eligibilty requirement for pension credit is to be over

the
state pension age. Which is some what variable dependant on your

sex
and date of birth as they gradually push it up to 68. With plans

push it even higher.

If that's the case, it's changed fairly recently then. It was certainly
over sixty a few years back because I claimed it for someone who was
that age.

Presumably a woman. State pension age for men has been 65 for a very
long time. They shifted women from 60 to 65 between 2010 and 2018.

--
Cheers
Dave.

RJH[_2_] August 2nd 20 01:45 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

On 2 Aug 2020 at 12:27:46 BST, ""Dave Liquorice""
wrote:

[...]

If you are/were in a trade union, well worth trying there first - some
excellent specialists in-house.

--
Cheers, Rob

T i m August 2nd 20 02:06 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 12:11:39 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

snip

I believe I also have a couple more private pensions that are due to
mature when I'm 65 and I think I did look into putting them all into
one, but 1) not sure if that was a good idea and 2) I think that you
might only be able to combing so many and didn't know which I should
do if there were limits (or take the cash etc).

And assuming that you aren't living on fresh air now, presumably have
significant savings.

We have some, no debts plus I'm living with an older woman. ;-)

Whilst PC does not have a savings level that forbids you from claiming, it
does have an "assumed" income from saving which involve an assumption of
"draw-dawn".

None of that.

anyone with an OAP pension and more than about 50K is going to find the
calculation for PC says "no"

And I'm pretty sure it's not that either.

Who are the best people to go to for advice on such things, if there
are such?

Cheers, T i m

Farmer Giles[_2_] August 2nd 20 02:34 PM

On 02/08/2020 12:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 11:41:14 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

The first eligibilty requirement for pension credit is to be over

the
state pension age. Which is some what variable dependant on your

sex
and date of birth as they gradually push it up to 68. With plans

push it even higher.

If that's the case, it's changed fairly recently then. It was certainly
over sixty a few years back because I claimed it for someone who was
that age.

Presumably a woman. State pension age for men has been 65 for a very
long time. They shifted women from 60 to 65 between 2010 and 2018.

No, it wasn't a woman. Pension Credit could be claimed by anyone over
sixty who met certain criteria. I accept that it's different now.

Max Demian August 2nd 20 02:41 PM

wrote:

[...]

Where are they going to get a b/w TV that receives digital TV?

--
Max Demian

T i m August 2nd 20 02:45 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 12:27:46 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 10:55:20 +0100, T i m wrote:

I'm 63, not working (never claimed anything in my life) but too young
to retire, according to the current system ... but I think I have two
small private pensions that matured when I was 60.

You don't know?

Well sort of, but 1) I'm not good with such things and partly 2) they
didn't account to much and 3) I wasn't sure if I could / should do
anything with them (take them as pension payments, take the lump sum,
combine them onto one etc).

What are you living on now if not working or claiming
benefits?

Her pension(s).

The interest on a couple of million in savings accounts?

That would be nice (and if we actually did any of the Lotteries ...).

I believe I also have a couple more private pensions that are due to
mature when I'm 65 and I think I did look into putting them all into
one, but 1) not sure if that was a good idea and 2) I think that you
might only be able to combing so many and didn't know which I should
do if there were limits (or take the cash etc).

You need to find a independant financial advisor perhaps with a bit
of specialisum in pensions. The rules have changed an awful lot
recently, with far more options than there ever used to be. You don't
have to buy an anuity (thus losing access to the capital and any
gains it makes invested), you can take up to 25% tax free lump sum
but you don't have to do that in one go and/or you can draw down on
the capital and/or leave it...

Quite ... loads of options ... (but thanks).

Basically I was holding off till I was 65 when the other pensions
matured and was going to go from there.

Cheers, T i m

T i m August 2nd 20 02:49 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 12:14:50 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:
snip

I think the biggest insult is what I remember being only a tiny
discount to 'viewers' (as that's the primary interface of 'TV'
(compared with radio)) who were registered blind?

OTOH

there shouldn't be any problem with the blind getting by with a B&W TV

Assuming you can get B&W TV's these days? I wonder if you could get a
colour TV 'locked down' making it B&W only in a way that would satisfy
the BBC (if tested)?

Cheers, T i m

tim... August 2nd 20 03:39 PM

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 12:11:39 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

snip

I believe I also have a couple more private pensions that are due to
mature when I'm 65 and I think I did look into putting them all into
one, but 1) not sure if that was a good idea and 2) I think that you
might only be able to combing so many and didn't know which I should
do if there were limits (or take the cash etc).

And assuming that you aren't living on fresh air now, presumably have
significant savings.

We have some, no debts plus I'm living with an older woman. ;-)

who gets a *single* pension?

Whilst PC does not have a savings level that forbids you from claiming, it
does have an "assumed" income from saving which involve an assumption of
"draw-dawn".

um draw-down, oops.

None of that.

anyone with an OAP pension and more than about 50K is going to find the
calculation for PC says "no"

And I'm pretty sure it's not that either.

It's not what?

Who are the best people to go to for advice on such things, if there
are such?

Age concern,

CAB

find an online calculator

But if "living with" means not married to, then your partner's pension needs
will be assessed on a single person basis (though perversely probably take
into account your contributions to family costs)

And, making the same assumption as before, that this income is enough for
the two of you to live on, I can't see how the numbers will swing towards
you being entitled to anything.

The MIG is pretty low. It is set at subsistence level

tim... August 2nd 20 03:40 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...

wrote:

[...]

dunno

7,000 per year manage it

tim... August 2nd 20 03:42 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 10:55:20 +0100, T i m wrote:

I'm 63, not working (never claimed anything in my life) but too young
to retire, according to the current system ... but I think I have two
small private pensions that matured when I was 60.

You don't know? What are you living on now if not working or claiming
benefits? The interest on a couple of million in savings accounts?

If living in a paid for house...

draw down from a tiny faction of that works

there's no need to avoid depleting capital at age 60+

It's an aspiration that's completely unnecessary

tim... August 2nd 20 03:47 PM

[...]

If you have a "small" pot, say 25K the answer should be clear

Cash it in as the new rules allow and spend it on a few luxuries whilst you
are healthy enough to take advantage of them. Spreading that cashing in
over two years will lessen that tax bill by quite a bit.

Turning it into a pension of 100 pound per month is going to make bugger all
difference to most people's day to day living, but will be a barrier to
future claiming of benefits

tim... August 2nd 20 03:51 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

"Farmer Giles" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

before they equalised the woman's pension age, An equality claim forced them
to reduce the male age for claiming "age related" benefits down to the same
as the woman's claimant age.

Hence the even more pressing need to equalise woman's pension age upwards

Another case of "be careful what you wish for"

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 2nd 20 03:57 PM

On 02/08/2020 14:47, tim... wrote:

[...]

you are healthy enough to take advantage of them.Â* Spreading that
cashing in over two years will lessen that tax bill by quite a bit.

Turning it into a pension of 100 pound per month is going to make bugger
all difference to most people's day to day living, but will be a barrier
to future claiming of benefits

sponger

T i m August 2nd 20 05:09 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 14:39:03 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

snip

We have some, no debts plus I'm living with an older woman. ;-)

who gets a *single* pension?

Someone living as a couple where only one is old enough to claim their
state pension?

snip

anyone with an OAP pension and more than about 50K is going to find the
calculation for PC says "no"

And I'm pretty sure it's not that either.

It's not what?

anywhere near 50k pa.

Who are the best people to go to for advice on such things, if there
are such?

Age concern,

CAB

find an online calculator

OK, ta.

But if "living with" means not married to,

Nope, we are married (her idea and she paid for the certificate,
surprisingly). ;-)

then your partner's pension needs
will be assessed on a single person basis

Which is how I think it is now.

(though perversely probably take
into account your contributions to family costs)

Which are nil. When I was working I was on a reasonable wage so was
able to pay for this modest 3 bed cottage (and have no other loans or
debts) when I was 40.

And, making the same assumption as before, that this income is enough for
the two of you to live on,

You cut your cloth ... ;-)

I can't see how the numbers will swing towards
you being entitled to anything.

Well, I never assumed they would, like I said, we have never claimed
for anything, just got those things that most qualifying got (like
winter fuel allowance).

The MIG is pretty low. It is set at subsistence level

Ok?

Cheers, T i m

T i m August 2nd 20 05:12 PM

NO more free TV licence from today

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 14:40:14 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

snip

Where are they going to get a b/w TV that receives digital TV?

dunno

7,000 per year manage it

And how many get 'found out'?

The irony being if they live on their own and don't have any TV
watching visitors, *no one* would know if it was colour or b/w?

Cheers, T i m

Andrew[_22_] August 2nd 20 07:27 PM

On 02/08/2020 11:41, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 02/08/2020 09:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on

pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age?

(Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, ...

What are "pension credits"?

... but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60 with no pension or
otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.

The first eligibilty requirement for pension credit is to be over the
state pension age. Which isÂ* some what variable dependant on your sex
and date of birth as they gradually push it up to 68. With plans to
push it even higher.

If that's the case, it's changed fairly recently then. It was certainly
over sixty a few years back because I claimed it for someone who was
that age.

You're thinking of the automatic NI credits that males over aged 60 get
if they are not paying any NI, for any reason.

These are convenient for someone who was contracted out for many years
but not working after 60. The 5 years of NI credits cancel out 5 years
of contracting out deductions so you get a slightly better state pension.