Old August 1st 20, 04:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT:UAE nuclear reactor fires up

and only last week they sent a probe to Mars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53619916

Old August 1st 20, 04:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 15:35:45 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

and only last week they sent a probe to Mars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53619916

Praise be to ala for the insite (sic).....
Old August 1st 20, 05:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2020 16:52, jon wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 15:35:45 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

and only last week they sent a probe to Mars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53619916

Praise be to ala for the insite (sic).....

Which side of the Saudi/Qatar squabble are they on ?.
Old August 2nd 20, 07:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Its very odd, since the chief researcher for the Mars orbiter is a woman. It
often seems one law forsome another for everyone else in many Arab
countries.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old August 2nd 20, 10:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 07:46:19 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Its very odd, since the chief researcher for the Mars orbiter is a
woman. It often seems one law forsome another for everyone else in many
Arab countries.
Brian

I noticed that too. Presumably some Arab countries are less bat**** than
others ? Although let's not start assuming women have a fair deal in the
west for comparison.

But it seems the UAE are certainly keen to advance and using some of that
oil money towards it.

Old August 2nd 20, 12:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/20 10:50, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 07:46:19 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Its very odd, since the chief researcher for the Mars orbiter is a
woman. It often seems one law forsome another for everyone else in many
Arab countries.
Brian

I noticed that too. Presumably some Arab countries are less bat**** than
others ? Although let's not start assuming women have a fair deal in the
west for comparison.

You're right. I did business in the UAE some 30 years ago and even then
it was much more liberal than the rest of the Middle East. For example,
and only if you weren't called Mohammed, you could get an alcohol drink
licence entitling you to spend £70 a month on drink. Because nobody was
allowed to profit from the sale of alcohol a bottle of Scotch cost £2!

Western women (Lebanese and Palestinian as well) didn't need to cover
their heads or faces although all were thoroughly ignored when it came
to queues. Skirts had to be of reasonably modest length but no worse
than in many Catholic countries at the time.

I didn't do business elsewhere in the Middle East because of the drink
restrictions (I had no teetotal employees) and because the other more
liberal countries had no oil and therefore no money.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Old August 2nd 20, 12:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 01/08/2020 16:52, jon wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 15:35:45 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

and only last week they sent a probe to Mars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53619916

Praise be to ala for the insite (sic).....

Which side of the Saudi/Qatar squabble are they on ?.

I thought Qatar didn't have any friends in the Gulf

Old August 2nd 20, 12:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 12:02:23 +0100, Another Dave wrote:

[...]

I'm not generally well disposed towards the nuttier and more extreme
Islamic regimes (Saudi Arabia being an example), but I am aware that as
with "the West" there's probably a spectrum from 0 to 100.

Anyway, fair play to them. If the UK can't do space or nuclear, then at
least we can enjoy countries that can.
Old August 2nd 20, 02:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Um:

Bahrain
Kuwait