Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dry wall / fine surface filler

Have a dry lined ceiling, (Fermacell) had been gone over with a fine
surface filler when new ...... but once painted you can see a couple of
places where there are lines from the tool (10" flexy steel blade tool)

10 years on going to repaint ceiling ... might as well correct the
imperfections ..... what would be the best product to use .... don't
need a lot ....... can you suggest a ready-mixed (or powder) fine
surface treatment.
Will now be applied over paint ...... can lightly sand to provide a key
....... has already been washed down with sugar soap solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2020 15:01, rick wrote:
Have a dry lined ceiling, (Fermacell) had been gone over with a fine
surface filler when new ...... but once painted you can see a couple of
places where there are lines from the tool (10" flexy steel blade tool)

10 years on going to repaint ceiling ... might as well correct the
imperfections ..... what would be the best product to use .... don't
need a lot ....... can you suggest a ready-mixed (or powder) fine
surface treatment.
Will now be applied over paint ...... can lightly sand to provide a key
...... has already been washed down with sugar soap solution.

You must have developed good arm muscles putting that stuff up on a
ceiling.

I would try Wickes fine surface plaster. Dries white and can be
sanded down to remove imperfections.

Or even Fine surface polyfilla that comes in premixed tubs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 1 August 2020 15:01:20 UTC+1, rick wrote:

Have a dry lined ceiling, (Fermacell) had been gone over with a fine
surface filler when new ...... but once painted you can see a couple of
places where there are lines from the tool (10" flexy steel blade tool)

10 years on going to repaint ceiling ... might as well correct the
imperfections ..... what would be the best product to use .... don't
need a lot ....... can you suggest a ready-mixed (or powder) fine
surface treatment.
Will now be applied over paint ...... can lightly sand to provide a key
...... has already been washed down with sugar soap solution.

You can use pretty much any filler, they all work. The worst I've yet experienced is poundland ready mixed tubs, the only thing I could get at one point in lockdown. But even that works.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2020 17:54, Andrew wrote:

You must have developed good arm muscles putting that stuff up on a
ceiling.

yep pretty heavy but on UK Self Build forum I set up a 'deal' I
bought a telescopic board lifter - on castors so position boards with
ease (as glued together, then stapled to counter battens)
Then once I finished my build sold it on for 100% of cost to next member
...... that meant each person could get aboard lifter for weeks and get
100% of the money back. They are expensive to rent, and self builders
cant do all boarding in a couple of days.

The wall boards were even heaving at 1/2" and I had extra length
special of 2.61m rather than 2.4m

I would try Wickes fine surface plaster. Dries white and can be
sanded down to remove imperfections.

Or even Fine surface polyfilla that comes in premixed tubs.

Just a couple of dry-lining took marks that have annoyed me.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 August 2020 10:27:25 UTC+1, rick wrote:
On 01/08/2020 23:47, tabbypurr wrote:

You can use pretty much any filler, they all work. The worst I've yet experienced is poundland ready mixed tubs, the only thing I could get at one point in lockdown. But even that works.

NT

will stick to (sanded slightly) paint finish OK ?

that's what they're designed for. Wet stick is where poundland stuff is poor, ends up some falling off so it takes an extra fill cycle.

NT